Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Yellow Jackets in the Eaves!

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 6, 11:26 pm, Chris wrote:
Yesterday I discovered yellow jackets entering my house in a corner
under the eaves. For some reason there is a corner gap/hole plenty big
enough for them to get in. I was just about to climb a ladder when I
looked up and saw them swarming around. The entrance is probably 12-15
feet above ground level, so no way to get to the hole without a ladder,
and I'm not sure I'd want to be on a ladder next to a bees nest.

Any suggestions for getting rid of these bees? I'm most concerned about
damage to the house and honey left behind to attract other problems.
Unfortunately that attic isn't really accessible from the inside.

I'm considering using a Wasp & Hornet killer like
thishttp://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_w_h_k_pre.aspbut I can't really
spray
into the house from the ground. I've also heard these products could
stain the siding and wood. I'd also prefer the bugs died outside of the
house than embedded within.

I'd appreciate any help or experience at getting rid of interior nests
high above ground!

Even though you know where the entrance hole is you do not know where
the actual nest is.Yellow jackets are very aggressive and send alarm
signals out when they are aggravated.It is possible that you could be
stung by the foragers that are outside of the nest. While the wasp
spray will kill any that come in contact with the spray it will also
prevent them from entering or leaving the area. They will chew their
way through sheetrock or soft wood to make another entry/exit point.
I have had clients that used wasp spray only to have the YJ chew
through a wall into the house making a bad problem even worse. (Yes, I
am a PC Professional)

You have a few choices to make.
1. If they are up out of the way you could just let them be. They will
do their thing (make babies) and then move on.

2. You should use a dust product such as Delta Dust,Boric Acid or
Drione Dust
Though be aware that Drione contains Pyrethrums and could cause them
to avoid the dust or even stir them up. Apply the dust with a bellow
duster and use small amounts you want to dust the area not cake it on.
They will collect the dust on them as they come and go and carry it
deep into the area. You may need to apply 2-3 times during a 2 week
period.

3. Apply at night when all the YJ are in the nest and less
aggressive.Do not shine a light directly into the hole when you climb
up there.

4. There is a pole extender available that you can use to apply a Dust
product check online or at a do it yourself store.

5. You can try using a non repellent insecticide such as Demand CS
into the hole and saturate the area. This will kill any YJs that come
in contact with it but it may not get spread into the deep area.

Good luck

Alternative 6. Call a professional it shouldn't cost more then $150.
Of course not seeing the area it could cost more depending on the
situation. Don't be afraid of getting bids.

Man, you just made my day. (not.) I have a bunch of ground bees in the front
yard near street, and they stung the crap out of me when I accidently ran
the mower over the hole 2 afternoons ago. I sprayed the first night with the
Raid squirt can stuff, and dusted last night with the powder stuff the Farm
Bureau sold me. I still see activity at the holes today. The grass is
getting tall in that spot. (My front yard has a 'soul patch' goatee, as it
were- this was the last 10x10 corner of yard, on one side of driveway.)
Multiple holes within 10 feet, but some may be mole entrances.

Any lifesaving ideas?

aem sends....