Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default Yellow Jackets

I have a bit of a yellow jacket problem.
Through luck, I managed to find 3 yellow jacket nests
near the back of my house, which I have eliminated (the nests,
not the house!), yet the yellow jacket traps that I have
still keep filling up. And there still seems to be plenty of
yellow jackets buzzing around whenever we try to have a meal outside.

1) Do the yellow jacket traps actually trap a significant portion
of yellow jackets, or are they just to keep homeowners busy and
lighten their wallets?

2) Is there a better way? Either some way to find the nests, or
else some poisoned bait that they take back to their nests?
(I know there is slow poison bait for ants that they supposedly
take back to their nets.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

M Q wrote:

I have a bit of a yellow jacket problem.
Through luck, I managed to find 3 yellow jacket nests
near the back of my house, which I have eliminated (the nests,
not the house!), yet the yellow jacket traps that I have
still keep filling up. And there still seems to be plenty of
yellow jackets buzzing around whenever we try to have a meal outside.

1) Do the yellow jacket traps actually trap a significant portion
of yellow jackets, or are they just to keep homeowners busy and
lighten their wallets?

2) Is there a better way? Either some way to find the nests, or
else some poisoned bait that they take back to their nests?
(I know there is slow poison bait for ants that they supposedly
take back to their nets.)

Wondering if you had three paper wasp nests and not yellow jackets...but
with the yellow jacket traps you will only trap a small percentage of a
wasps from a nest. The traps are basically aids to attract the foraging
wasps away from areas of your yard. Yellow jackets will nest in voids,
and usually aren't found until the numbers are so great their activity
is easily seen or the vegetation hiding their activity dies back in the
Fall. just guessing there is not a "bait" due to you would be blindly
killing out beneficial insects, rather than just the occasional problem
nest.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 8:11 pm, M Q wrote:
I have a bit of a yellow jacket problem.
Through luck, I managed to find 3 yellow jacket nests
near the back of my house, which I have eliminated (the nests,
not the house!), yet the yellow jacket traps that I have
still keep filling up. And there still seems to be plenty of
yellow jackets buzzing around whenever we try to have a meal outside.

1) Do the yellow jacket traps actually trap a significant portion
of yellow jackets, or are they just to keep homeowners busy and
lighten their wallets?

2) Is there a better way? Either some way to find the nests, or
else some poisoned bait that they take back to their nests?
(I know there is slow poison bait for ants that they supposedly
take back to their nets.)

You need to eliminate nests as you are doing. Yellow jackets can nest
all over the place, in the ground, in bushes, in cracks in the house,
etc. What I do not know is how effective baited traps are in drawing
in other yellow jackets. Best not to place traps too close to where
you eat as they may just draw them in to the spot.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

1) Do the yellow jacket traps actually trap a significant portion
of yellow jackets, or are they just to keep homeowners busy and
lighten their wallets?

I have two at my cabin. They are a simple affair, and one could easily
duplicate them for nearly free. They consist of a plastic mayonnaise jar,
and a lid that has four holes in it. They go in, and can't get out. They
fall into the liquid and drown. Take an old mayonnaise jar, drill four
holes in the top, put in four pieces of tube of some sort, and JB weld them
in place. Or, just be lazy and go buy some.

They sure as heck work. The best bait to use is apple juice. I've tried
everything from beer to root beer to 7Up to orange soda pop. Apple juice is
the best.

And be advised if you're outside where there's yellow jackets, they WILL go
into your cold drink can or bottle. A friend got stung in his mouth. He
was jumping and whooping and hollering, and we were all clapping and
stomping to the rhythm until we found out what his problem was. Now, I put
a plastic cat food lid over my drink when outside, and advise you to do the
same. Clean the lid first.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:11:39 GMT, M Q
wrote:

I have a bit of a yellow jacket problem.
Through luck, I managed to find 3 yellow jacket nests
near the back of my house, which I have eliminated (the nests,
not the house!), yet the yellow jacket traps that I have
still keep filling up. And there still seems to be plenty of
yellow jackets buzzing around whenever we try to have a meal outside.

1) Do the yellow jacket traps actually trap a significant portion
of yellow jackets, or are they just to keep homeowners busy and
lighten their wallets?

2) Is there a better way? Either some way to find the nests, or
else some poisoned bait that they take back to their nests?
(I know there is slow poison bait for ants that they supposedly
take back to their nets.)

I use hornet/wasp spray just after dusk to saturate the nest. The
next day they are gone. Watch the hornets to find the nest--it could
be in a crack, the ground, cement blocks, under eaves, etc. Never
have used a trap for hornets and it's my guess that they would not be
too effective on colonized insects.

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Lar wrote:

Wondering if you had three paper wasp nests and not yellow jackets

The 3 nests were in the ground and were pretty likely yellow jackets.
I do occasionally find paper wasp nests hanging from eaves and other places.
They don't seem to be the nuisance that yellow jackets are.
....but
with the yellow jacket traps you will only trap a small percentage of a
wasps from a nest. The traps are basically aids to attract the foraging
wasps away from areas of your yard. Yellow jackets will nest in voids,
and usually aren't found until the numbers are so great their activity
is easily seen or the vegetation hiding their activity dies back in the
Fall. just guessing there is not a "bait" due to you would be blindly
killing out beneficial insects, rather than just the occasional problem
nest.

I even tried tying a red thread to small pieces of meat to try to
track the YG back to the nest. One landed 20 ft. away until he
could chew the load down to size. The others I seemed to have lost
pretty quickly. It seemed worth a try.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

And be advised if you're outside where there's yellow jackets, they WILL go
into your cold drink can or bottle. A friend got stung in his mouth. He was
jumping and whooping and hollering, and we were all clapping and stomping to
the rhythm until we found out what his problem was. Now, I put a plastic cat
food lid over my drink when outside, and advise you to do the same. Clean the
lid first.

Would this stop people from putting their cigarette butts into your beer can
also?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:11:39 +0000, M Q wrote:

I have a bit of a yellow jacket problem. Through luck, I managed to find 3
yellow jacket nests near the back of my house, which I have eliminated
(the nests, not the house!), yet the yellow jacket traps that I have still
keep filling up. And there still seems to be plenty of yellow jackets
buzzing around whenever we try to have a meal outside.

1) Do the yellow jacket traps actually trap a significant portion
of yellow jackets, or are they just to keep homeowners busy and lighten
their wallets?

2) Is there a better way? Either some way to find the nests, or
else some poisoned bait that they take back to their nests? (I know
there is slow poison bait for ants that they supposedly
take back to their nets.)

I just finished an episode with a hornet nest (rather large) in my front
lawn. I had a problem with moles and the bees found the holes to be a
great place to start a nest. They had 4 holes to the nest. I went down to
HD and bought some sevin-5 and basically filled the holes with it. That
was on a saturday and today (sunday) I see only about 3 or 4 flying around
looking to get into the nest and thats it.

Im interested in hearing anyone elses view on sevin-5 also. I looked it up
on the internet and alot of people tend to use it.

--
coffee
Linux Registered User #449534

Yellow Jackets Jim Home Repair 4 October 22nd 06 05:00 PM
More yellow jackets questions mypet Home Ownership 2 October 31st 04 01:47 AM
Yellow Jackets ?????? Stephen Home Repair 13 October 9th 04 07:06 PM
Yellow jackets, wasps and bees........OH MY! Albee Kuminova Home Ownership 2 August 30th 04 12:27 AM
Yellow Jackets (Wasps) in attic... Ken Smith Home Ownership 1 September 3rd 03 09:45 PM