Stephen

Default Yellow Jackets ??????

Hello
I have Yellow Jackets on the inside of the outside of my house . I have
sprayed through the hole but they are so far away from hole that it has no
effect. Is there some kind of fogger that I could use? Any suggestions
welcome.
Thanks

Sincerely

Stephen
Please E-mail

Richard J Kinch

Stephen writes:

I have Yellow Jackets on the inside of the outside of my house . I
have
sprayed through the hole but they are so far away from hole that it
has no effect. Is there some kind of fogger that I could use? Any
suggestions welcome.

Use a product called "wait til the first freeze when they all will have
died of starvation anyway". Then fix the leaks, before next spring,
that attracted them and will likely have the next generation roosting
there.

If you must do something now, spray in a strong permethrin via a tube.
Bengal Roach Spray is excellent (albeit pricey), uses a dry refrigerant
carrier that evaps immediately, leaving surface residue as well as a
penetrating dry fog. Cheap sprays are water based and very weakly
concentrated by comparison.

Put some no-pest type strip in the hole. This lets them out in
desperation (so they don't bore through into the interior of your house
elsewhere--watch out for this in any case!), but repels and/or slow-
poisons the returning workers.

Poor man's repellant: rope or felt saturated with kerosene.
m Ransley

Ortho Sevin , a dust, use a turkey baster to get it in the hole do it at
night if you are scared.

jdk

m Ransley wrote:
Ortho Sevin , a dust, use a turkey baster to get it in the hole do it at
night if you are scared.

i second ransley. it has always worked for me. sometimes a second shot
is needed. dust it and let them go in and out don't trap them in there.

Bert Byfield

Ortho Sevin , a dust, use a turkey baster to get it in the hole do it
at night if you are scared.

I recommend doing it at night even if you aren't scared, but just are
not inclined to be stung by ****ed-off insects. I had a deep hive of
yellow-jackets in a stump near the house, and I hit them a number of
time (at night) with the regular cans of hardware-store foam spray, with
no visible effect. They were in too deep.

I finally called a pro, and he wasn't scared and he did it in the
daytime and he got stung three or four times while dealing with them.
The fee was something like $125, but I was glad to write out the check.

zxcvbob

Bert Byfield wrote:
Ortho Sevin , a dust, use a turkey baster to get it in the hole do it
at night if you are scared.

I recommend doing it at night even if you aren't scared, but just are
not inclined to be stung by ****ed-off insects. I had a deep hive of
yellow-jackets in a stump near the house, and I hit them a number of
time (at night) with the regular cans of hardware-store foam spray, with
no visible effect. They were in too deep.

I finally called a pro, and he wasn't scared and he did it in the
daytime and he got stung three or four times while dealing with them.
The fee was something like $125, but I was glad to write out the check.

Insecticide dust or powder is what you need. Toss it in the hole and
the wasps will get it on their feet and track it into the nest; it will
kill the whole hive.

Bob
charlie

Thund3rstruck_n0i wrote:
m Ransley spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Ortho Sevin , a dust, use a turkey baster to get it in the hole do it at
night if you are scared.

I have a similar problem here. Where can I find this stuff?

NOI

garden store for vegetables

Stephen

I went to a exterminator who sells upplies that exterminators use . I got
the powder that you squirt in the hole or around where they walk in. I
didn't get much in hole to difficult but I got it where they walk in. I
don't know which did it for maybe both . It just didn't seem to get much
inside. There is dead Yellow jackets all over the ground excellent stuff!
$14 plus tax for 5ounce bottle still have a lot left.None flying in out
anymore
I think they are all dead

Thanx

Stephen

"Thund3rstruck_n0i" wrote in message
m Ransley spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Ortho Sevin , a dust, use a turkey baster to get it in the hole do it at
night if you are scared.

I have a similar problem here. Where can I find this stuff?

NOI

tweaked

On a related note, how could I go about locating a nest. I'm getting
swarmed but have no idea where they are.

willshak

tweaked wrote:

On a related note, how could I go about locating a nest. I'm getting
swarmed but have no idea where they are.

I have a nest in a pile of compost. I dropped some new grass clippings
on the pile before I knew that there was a nest in there. One of them
got me on the wrist. On the top of the pile there is a white plastic
looking thing with a marble pattern that has holes in it. It apparently
is part of the nest that they constructed.

Bert Byfield

On a related note, how could I go about locating a nest. I'm getting
swarmed but have no idea where they are.

I had this problem in front of the house. When I was ready to deal with
it, I went out and sat on an outdoor chair and said "Okay, who doesn't
like it?" and there they were. I didn't move for a while, just WATCHED,
and the pattern became clear. The center of their flight paths was under
my chair. I looked under there and sure enough, there was a big nest
attached to the bottom of the chair.
That night I went out with a can of regular foaming hardware store
spray, and a flashlight. Light on! Spray foam all over the damn thing!
Light out! Walk, don't run (running away suggests a guilty target to a
stinging insect), back into the house. Problem solved.

John W. Wells

On 17 Sep 2004 20:00:40 -0500, tweaked vvv wrote:

On a related note, how could I go about locating a nest. I'm getting
swarmed but have no idea where they are.

Well, THERE is the million dollar question!

I find many small nests under eaves, deck over-hangs, etc. Basically
under any protected and warm area (never on the north side of the
house). These are usually less than 2 inches across, a cluster of
hexagonal cells. They're easily spotted and easily eliminated after
dark with an aerosol "hornet and wasp" spray.

But they also nest under ground, in holes left by other critters. I'm
told these nests can become quite large. They are most easily located
by stepping upon or near them. Just trace the stream of enraged
insects as they ascend your pant leg back to the little hole in the
ground from which they emanate!

I've found two nests this way. On the last one I got 14 stings. I
ran back to the house, tearing off my clothes (they were up my pant
legs and under my shirt--clinging and stinging).

They behave quite differently when protecting the nest compared to
their food hunting behavior. I read once that they go out for food on
about a 2-hour "schedule." They are far less likely to sting when
food hunting. Only the females sting, but the males can give a pretty
good bite (for what that info is worth! :-)

The underground nests I've seen were pretty busy, traffic-wise. So
with luck you might see a few of them taking off and landing in one
spot in the grass.

If you have a tenacious and fleet-footed child, you might be able to
convince (bribe?) him or her to follow one, but as I'm sure you've
already noticed, they zoom around pretty wildly.

--John W. Wells
DXer

Something that might help this problem from occuring again next summer in
different locations for thier nests is to put out a yellow jacket trap next
spring.
Those yellow hanging traps that have cotton ball with attractant liquid on it
and a piece of food.
Put it out in the perimeter of your yard and this will trap many of the
yellow jackets, and put out before they can set up nests, this will trap the
queen and they wont set up a nest in your yard.
Just dont put it close to close to your house, many people mistakenly do
this. And do NOT put this up near a known nest.
Out in the perimeter of your yard can keep them away from your yard and
house.
Craig