Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
jmagerl jmagerl is offline

Default Yellow Jackets in the Eaves!

I mounted a high speed fan to a 2X4 and than clamped it to a ladder such
that the fan was 5 inches from the opening. After 24 hrs of running and
being chopped up by the blades, nothing was left and it was safe to nuke the
opening with spray. Some people might position a shop vav hose near the
opening.

Sometimes the nest is far from the entry hole and spray wont get there. The
prefered method is to puff a powdered poison into the hole so that they
track the poison to the nest.

"Chris" wrote in message
Yesterday I discovered yellow jackets entering my house in a corner
under the eaves. For some reason there is a corner gap/hole plenty big
enough for them to get in. I was just about to climb a ladder when I
looked up and saw them swarming around. The entrance is probably 12-15
feet above ground level, so no way to get to the hole without a ladder,
and I'm not sure I'd want to be on a ladder next to a bees nest.

Any suggestions for getting rid of these bees? I'm most concerned about
damage to the house and honey left behind to attract other problems.
Unfortunately that attic isn't really accessible from the inside.

I'm considering using a Wasp & Hornet killer like this
http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_w_h_k_pre.asp but I can't really spray
into the house from the ground. I've also heard these products could
stain the siding and wood. I'd also prefer the bugs died outside of the
house than embedded within.

I'd appreciate any help or experience at getting rid of interior nests
high above ground!