J T

Default SEMI-OT - E-mails

Today I got an e-mail. From someone about one of my posts on a
thread here. NO, don't volunteer who you are. That's happened before,
someone e-mailed me, and then volunteered theirself up, while I was
trying to be polite and not reveal them.

So, I guess it's time to pass this along again. If I don't know
you, I don't care to get e-mail from you. However, I will usually try
to be polite about it. BUT, it tends to **** me off when I get an
e-mail from someone, with a subject from a thread on rec.woodworking,
and nothing to say it's by e-mail only. Then when I hunt down the
thread, and check, find out it was by e-mail only. Got one of those
today. I was even polite when I replied. Honest. Possibly not by his
standards, but by mine. Sometimes not, and sometimes just dump the
e-mail, without replying, once in awhile without even reading it. So,
today I played nice.

I was addressed in the e-mail like I was the original poster. I
wasn't. And, I was passed along a set of plans that I didn't ask for,
didn't need, don't want. You know, the exact type of thing that should
be posted in the thread, so everyone can get the benefit of the link.

I've said it before, I'll say it again now, I'll probably say it
again in the future. IF you're gonna e-mail me, at least have the
courtesy to state at the beginning of the e-mail that it's e-mail only,
ESPECIALLY if it has a thread subject. There are a few people here,
they know who they are, that do e-mail me, very infrequently to be sure,
so even if they forget to say that, there's no problem with them,
because I KNOW THEM.

Don't e-mail me, I'll e-mail you.

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

JoeTaxpayer

J T wrote:

Today I got an e-mail. From someone about one of my posts on a
thread here. NO, don't volunteer who you are. That's happened before,
someone e-mailed me, and then volunteered theirself up, while I was
trying to be polite and not reveal them.

snip

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

JOAT - I'm surprised you don't get hundreds of undesired emails. I
posted here a long time back with a working email address and that
account started to get spam instantly. I stopped using that address
altogether, and the spam has never stopped.

BTW, I do enjoy your links, and I promise never to email you.
JOE

I've gotten a number of emails from people who hit the "reply" button by
accident rather than the "reply group" button.
It is not to difficult for someone to do this inadvertantly. I'd say this
happens to me once every couple months.

-j

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Don Dando

I understand that people use bogus email address to limit the amount of junk
mail they get, but....

When I take the time and effort to reply to someone's inquiry on a topic,
spend my time developing a solid answer and basically try real hard to be
helpful only to have my email to them reject is real disappointing and helps
me understand that I just don't answer questions anymore. Not that I think
that is a great loss to the world, but all of us have different experiences
and sometimes when we can offer some help, and it is appreciated.

So in summary, hide behind your bogus email address, not to worry, I won't
attempt to respond to any questions any more.

Don Dando

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Steven and Gail Peterson

Some people make an obvious change in their email address, just to avoid the
sites that automatically pick up email addresses. That is what I have tried
to do. We already had to change email once because of overwhelming spam,
even using filters. So be a little patient, look at the address and make
obvious changes. Some of us are just barely making it as it is.

Steve

. com...

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Frank Ketchum

"J T" wrote in message

Today I got an e-mail.

Don't e-mail me, I'll e-mail you.

Why do you post your email address then? Doesn't make much sense...

Duane Bozarth

Don Dando wrote:

When I take the time and effort to reply to someone's inquiry on a topic,
spend my time developing a solid answer and basically try real hard to be
helpful only to have my email to them reject is real disappointing and helps
me understand that I just don't answer questions anymore. ...

That's not the way of usenet...if the poster could ask the question,
he/she can certainly come read the answer(s). Plus, there's the benefit
of if it's a good answer any number will see it whereas if it's a
private e-mail, only one...

So, just answer in the group is the solution--you're feelers aren't
hurt, OP (and many others) get their answers.
Bob Schmall

"J T" wrote in message
Today I got an e-mail. From someone about one of my posts on a
thread here. NO, don't volunteer who you are. That's happened before,
someone e-mailed me, and then volunteered theirself up, while I was
trying to be polite and not reveal them.

(snip)

Don't e-mail me, I'll e-mail you.

JOAT

Sorry, JOAT--it wasn't me, but I don't have the time to try to remember
every single person's little quirks. If you don't want email, post it as
your sig rather than rely on everyone else's memory.

Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

But it's a hell of a lot better bet than stupidity.

Limey Lurker

I'm still very much a newbie. I can understand most of the tech talk,
but some of the Americanisms puzzle me. But, it's the chance of being
discourteous that worries me most. I've tried to find a book of net
etiquette but without success. Can anyone please recommend some source
of this information? TIA

San Diego Joe

"J T" wrote:

[...]

Sometimes people just push the wrong button. I use Microsoft entourage and
the "reply to sender" is right next to "reply to newsgroup" button. Perhaps
they just made a mistake.

--
San Diego Joe

J T wrote:
I've said it before, I'll say it again now, I'll probably say it
again in the future. IF you're gonna e-mail me, at least have the
courtesy to state at the beginning of the e-mail that it's e-mail

only,
ESPECIALLY if it has a thread subject.

Odd.

If I get an email I assume it was email only as it makes no sense
to both send email and to post. In fact I consider it rude to do
both as I may take the time to compose and send a reply, only
to later learn that the same thing was psoted so that I need
to compose and post a reply AGAIN.

If you want to email me to be sure I read your article, just send
a quick note about the article.

I expect that'll work for JOAT too.

--

FF

JoeTaxpayer

Limey Lurker wrote:

I'm still very much a newbie. I can understand most of the tech talk,
but some of the Americanisms puzzle me. But, it's the chance of being
discourteous that worries me most. I've tried to find a book of net
etiquette but without success. Can anyone please recommend some source
of this information? TIA

There probably no book that can help with that. Each board has its own
personality. Lurk where your interested and post on-topic when you have
a question or comment. Better not to top post, I still don't get why,
but that's how usenet prefers it.
JOE

Bruce Barnett

"Limey Lurker" writes:

I'm still very much a newbie. I can understand most of the tech talk,
but some of the Americanisms puzzle me. But, it's the chance of being
discourteous that worries me most. I've tried to find a book of net
etiquette but without success. Can anyone please recommend some source
of this information? TIA

Assuming you are serious, a goodle search for netiquette gives several
sites. There's even an official internet (IETF ) document called
RFC1855 (RFC = Request For Comments)

There is even a satire called "Dear Emily Postnews"

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/emily-postnews/part1/

This is part of the Usenet FAQ pages, See

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/

for the list of FAQ's for each newsgroup that has one.

Each newsgroup has it's own flavor, but good manners are universal.
One tip. If you describe a lucky break, expect to hear profanity. This
is a good thing.

Norman D. Crow

"JoeTaxpayer" wrote in message

J T wrote:

Today I got an e-mail. From someone about one of my posts on a
thread here. NO, don't volunteer who you are. That's happened before,
someone e-mailed me, and then volunteered theirself up, while I was
trying to be polite and not reveal them.

snip

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

JOAT - I'm surprised you don't get hundreds of undesired emails. I
posted here a long time back with a working email address and that
account started to get spam instantly. I stopped using that address
altogether, and the spam has never stopped.

Guess I'm just lucky. Not in my address, but my local ISP. They use a
program called "Vircom" that stops almost all the spam. I'll get maybe 1 or
2 per week. If I go to the webmail site @ the ISP, my quarantine file has
maybe 400+/- spam, virus, etc. in it.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Morris Dovey

Limey Lurker wrote:
I'm still very much a newbie. I can understand most of the
tech talk, but some of the Americanisms puzzle me. But, it's
the chance of being discourteous that worries me most. I've
tried to find a book of net etiquette but without success. Can
anyone please recommend some source of this information? TIA

The "Golden Rule" is the best general guide. I assembled a page
of links (originally intended for newbies on comp.lang.c) that
you might find helpful.

As far as the "Americanisms" (almost safer to say "USAniasms", to
avoid confusion with other North/Central/South Americans), the
best course would be to ask.

Welcome to the group!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey wrote:

The "Golden Rule" is the best general guide. I assembled a
page of links (originally intended for newbies on comp.lang.c)
that you might find helpful.

Probably more helpful if I tell where to find it:

http://www.iedu.com/c/

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html
firstjois

J wrote:
I've gotten a number of emails from people who hit the "reply"
button by accident rather than the "reply group" button.
It is not to difficult for someone to do this inadvertantly. I'd say
this happens to me once every couple months.

-j

Ditto! But I was able to move the "Reply Group" icon further to the left
on the tool bar and the straight "Reply" further to the right and that
doesn't happen any more.

Josie

Robert Bonomi

In article . com,
Limey Lurker wrote:
I'm still very much a newbie. I can understand most of the tech talk,
but some of the Americanisms puzzle me. But, it's the chance of being
discourteous that worries me most. I've tried to find a book of net
etiquette but without success. Can anyone please recommend some source
of this information? TIA

There's some _very_ good stuff posted regularly to "news.announce.newusers".

The best advice is to _read_ any newsgroup for a while (as in several weeks)
before posting to it. Get a sense of how *that* group works, and do things
the way the other posters there do.

Frank Ketchum

wrote in message ...

Outlook Express is one, I think.

Nope. As proof, you will not get an email of this message.

Norman D. Crow

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote in message ...
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:06:22 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

That is a sort of rash assumption. Some newsreader software
automatically
sends both an e-mail and a post.

Such as?

Outlook Express is one, I think.

Nope. Three options: reply group, reply email, reply all.

Mine are "Reply Group", "Reply" and "Forward" on OE(newsgroups).
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Lee Michaels

wrote:

That is a sort of rash assumption. Some newsreader software
automatically
sends both an e-mail and a post.

Such as?

Outlook Express is one, I think.

Nope. Three options: reply group, reply email, reply all.

Mine are "Reply Group", "Reply" and "Forward" on OE(newsgroups).

Don't forget Ignore and Block Sender.

Mark

Ain't public media a bitch?
Curious - do you give the mailman grief for junk mail or contact senders of
unsolicited mail?
You're whining about two semi-solicited emails. Wish I had that complaint.
Wanna swap unwanted emails?
Like I tell my grandson - cry harder!
Mark

Frank Ketchum wrote:

wrote in message ...

Outlook Express is one, I think.

Nope. As proof, you will not get an email of this message.

I said I wasn't sure which one. It might have been Netscape
or an older version of OE. I know I ran across one that
had that behaviour and quickly moved on to something else.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

WTB: 20' ISO container or 24' semi trailer for storage, Sacramento/Marysvillearea Jon Anderson Metalworking 23 January 30th 05 04:25 AM
semi truck Grant Erwin Metalworking 16 January 27th 05 04:34 AM
Semi Gloat Ian Dodd Woodworking 2 September 13th 04 05:58 PM
BAXI boiler - semi gravity to fully pumped Ian C UK diy 0 August 27th 03 04:17 PM