Grant Erwin

Default semi truck

An acquaintance of mine made a mistake at a car auction recently and
came home with an older semi truck tractor (no trailer). It runs but
needs work on something, is rebuildable. He is realizing there's no way
in hell he can do anything with it. In short, he's the perfect motivated
seller. If anyone near W. Washington wants a big truck project then I
think I can find him a helluva deal, maybe even free. (my buddy paid $1k)

To email me see http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html

GWE
j.b. miller

Hey, I've got a car hauling trailer that was used to haul to/from car
auction fors sale !
Holds 6 -8 cars...recent safety,new brakes, etc.
First $1000 can haul it away....

Jay

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:39:05 -0500, the inscrutable "j.b. miller"
spake:

Hey, I've got a car hauling trailer that was used to haul to/from car
auction fors sale !
Holds 6 -8 cars...recent safety,new brakes, etc.
First $1000 can haul it away....

"Haul it away"?

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

Roger Shoaf

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
An acquaintance of mine made a mistake at a car auction recently and
came home with an older semi truck tractor (no trailer). It runs but
needs work on something, is rebuildable. He is realizing there's no way
in hell he can do anything with it. In short, he's the perfect motivated
seller. If anyone near W. Washington wants a big truck project then I
think I can find him a helluva deal, maybe even free. (my buddy paid $1k)

To email me see http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html

GWE

So what are the details? Year? make? model? mileage? cab-over or
conventional? sleeper? 2 or 3 axel?

Grant Erwin

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

An acquaintance of mine made a mistake at a car auction recently and
came home with an older semi truck tractor (no trailer). It runs but
needs work on something, is rebuildable. He is realizing there's no way
in hell he can do anything with it. In short, he's the perfect motivated
seller. If anyone near W. Washington wants a big truck project then I
think I can find him a helluva deal, maybe even free. (my buddy paid $1k)

To email me see http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html

GWE

So what are the details? Year? make? model? mileage? cab-over or
conventional? sleeper? 2 or 3 axel?

All I know is it's an '82 International conventional. Supposedly what's
wrong with it is something in the gearbox to speed the gears when you're
shifting, but if you know what you're doing you can get around it.
It was a California truck, last inspected in 2002. It's located in Seattle.

GWE

Anthony

Grant Erwin wrote in
:

All I know is it's an '82 International conventional. Supposedly
what's wrong with it is something in the gearbox to speed the gears
when you're shifting, but if you know what you're doing you can get
around it. It was a California truck, last inspected in 2002. It's
located in Seattle.

GWE

Synchro's....and they are not 'required' for the vehicle to operate. You
just have to know how to shift properly

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Erik Litchy

j.b. miller wrote:

Hey, I've got a car hauling trailer that was used to haul to/from car
auction fors sale !
Holds 6 -8 cars...recent safety,new brakes, etc.
First $1000 can haul it away....

Jay

whats your contact info
Clif Holland

What synchros??? None of the big rigs have synchronized trannys, can you say
double clutch??

--

Clif Holland, KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

"Anthony" wrote in message
Grant Erwin wrote in
:

All I know is it's an '82 International conventional. Supposedly
what's wrong with it is something in the gearbox to speed the gears
when you're shifting, but if you know what you're doing you can get
around it. It was a California truck, last inspected in 2002. It's
located in Seattle.

GWE

Synchro's....and they are not 'required' for the vehicle to operate. You
just have to know how to shift properly

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Bob May

What double clutch? Good drivers just match speeds and jam the gears
together! Clutch is just used to get the truck started.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Jeff R.

"Bob May" wrote in message
What double clutch? Good drivers just match speeds and jam the gears
together! Clutch is just used to get the truck started.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Why, Bob?
Do you want one?

from http://www.al.noaa.gov/WWWHD/pubdocs...nt98/faq7.html
"The difference between ozone content in the two polar regions is caused by
dissimilar weather patterns. The Antarctic continent is a very large land mass
surrounded by oceans. This symmetrical condition produces very low
stratospheric temperatures within a meteorologically isolated region, the
so-called polar vortex, which extends from about 65°S to the pole. The cold
temperatures lead in turn to the formation of clouds, known as polar
stratospheric clouds. These clouds provide surfaces that promote production of
forms of chlorine and bromine that are chemically active and can rapidly
destroy ozone. The conditions that maintain elevated levels of chemically
active chlorine and bromine persist into September and October in Antarctica,
when sunlight returns over the region to initiate ozone depletion.

The winter meteorological conditions in the Northern Hemisphere, just like in
the Southern Hemisphere, lead to the formation of an isolated region bounded
by strong winds, in which the temperature is also cold enough for polar
stratospheric clouds to form. However, the geographic symmetry about the North
Pole is less than about the South Pole. As a result, large-scale weather
systems disturb the wind flow, making it less stable over the Arctic region
than over the Antarctic continent. These disturbances prevent the temperature
in the Arctic stratosphere from being as cold as in the Antarctic
stratosphere, and fewer polar stratospheric clouds are therefore formed.
Nevertheless, chemically active chlorine and bromine compounds are also formed
over the Arctic, as they are over Antarctica, from reactions at the surface of
the clouds. But the cold conditions rarely persist into March, when sufficient
sunlight is available to initiate large ozone depletion."

....but whadd'a they know?

--

Jeff R.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:35:51 +1100, the inscrutable "Jeff R."
spake:

"Bob May" wrote in message
[...]

So cold, not people, creates polar strat clouds which form the
chemicals which destroy the ozone? I wonder if they took the massive
Antarctic population explosion into consideration when they decided
and published their findings. Wouldn't all that heat and pollution
tend to skew their findings a mite? Count me as a skeptic.

[...]

g They know that people's reactions to the deadly amounts of UV
radiation in San Diego has people bundled up against it all year,
don't they?

"The largest decreases in ozone during the past 15 years have been
observed over Antarctica, especially during each September and October
when the ozone hole forms. During the last several years, simultaneous
measurements of UV radiation and total ozone have been made at several
Antarctic stations. In the late spring, the biologically damaging
ultraviolet radiation in parts of the Antarctic continent can exceed
that in San Diego, California, where the Sun is much higher above the
horizon."

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

Probably a Fuller 9spd?

As for synchos and clutching, I'm with the others. You only need a
clutch once. For moving off the line. Beyond that, match speeds and
jam the gears. I actually can shift better without using the clutch.
Let the tranny tell you when you should shift. Bump the throttle and
pull, it will pop right out of gear. If upshifting, a little gentle
pressure while the revs drop and she will just slide in when you find
the spot. Downshift, just give her a little fuel and find the spot.
Easy.

JW

Bob May

Yep, that's the answer!
The colder the temp, the more the depletion of the ozone by those chemicals
as the balance of the chemical reactions goes towards the elimination of the
ozone.
Thus the biggeer the hole, the colder it is in that area and since the hole
in the South had been growing, it must be that the average temp down there
is getting colder! Not exactly the warming trend that the enviromentalists
have been screaming about!
Also note that the earth's orbit is such that the earth is further away from
the sun during the Antartic winter than during the corresponding summer. As
a result, the southern hemisphere is going to normally be colder than the
northern hemisphere. This is an additional reason why the Artic area
doesn't have a full hole form during the winter.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Bob May

Actually, there are no syncros in the large truck gearboxes. Rather it is a
dog setup which is used to let the gears join to each other. Thus the use
of the clutch actually removes the ability to easily compare the road speed
and the engine speed by the driver for when to engage the gearbox to the
desired gear.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Old Nick

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:41:53 -0800, "Bob May"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Thus the biggeer the hole, the colder it is in that area and since the hole
in the South had been growing, it must be that the average temp down there
is getting colder! Not exactly the warming trend that the enviromentalists
have been screaming about!

Huh? There are two causes for the hole aren't there; the gases and the
temperature? So it could be getting warmer, but the gases are
increasing at a rate sufficient to overcome that.

B.B.

In article ,
"Bob May" wrote:

Actually, there are no syncros in the large truck gearboxes. Rather it is a
dog setup which is used to let the gears join to each other. Thus the use
of the clutch actually removes the ability to easily compare the road speed
and the engine speed by the driver for when to engage the gearbox to the
desired gear.

Most truck transmissions have a five-speed front section with dog
clutches, and a separate air-controlled rear section for selecting
ranges. 99% of the time that rear section will have a big-assed
synchronizer in it. It's likely this synchro is what the first poster
was talking about.
One easy thing to check that might fix it is a teensy air filter on
the right rear of the transmission. It'll get clogged up and restrict
the air to the back section's shifter piston, giving the symptoms of a
fried synchro. Of course, if it goes long enough like that it'll really
fry that synchro, but it's a good first thing to check and easy to do.
The friction surface might get a glaze on it, but a quick trip on the
interstate will burn that off and let you determine if you fixed
anything.
If that doesn't fix it, then you have to do real (expensive) repair
work. It's possible to pop that back section off without pulling the
transmission, but not much fun. Besides, whatever took out the
synchronizer probably did damage to the rest of the transmission.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/