Bruce Barnett

"Limey Lurker" writes:

I'm still very much a newbie. I can understand most of the tech talk,
but some of the Americanisms puzzle me. But, it's the chance of being
discourteous that worries me most. I've tried to find a book of net
etiquette but without success. Can anyone please recommend some source
of this information? TIA

Assuming you are serious, a goodle search for netiquette gives several
sites. There's even an official internet (IETF ) document called
RFC1855 (RFC = Request For Comments)

There is even a satire called "Dear Emily Postnews"

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/emily-postnews/part1/

This is part of the Usenet FAQ pages, See

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/

for the list of FAQ's for each newsgroup that has one.

Each newsgroup has it's own flavor, but good manners are universal.
One tip. If you describe a lucky break, expect to hear profanity. This
is a good thing.