Grant

Default Brad and Finish nailer combo?

I'm in the market for my first nailer tools. I'd like to get good tools for
my home shop so I've been looking at the Senco FinishPro 25XP, Senco SLP20,
and even the Finish Pro 18 in the Senco line. Also for brad nailers been
considering the Porter Cable BN200.

For finish nailer I'd like the Senco FinishPro 41XP.

I don't really have anyone else that I can ask for suggestions or try these
models. But I would rather buy a good tool that is gunna last a good long
time. My compressor is a 120psi with a 3 gallon tank, but I would like later
to upgrade that for other airtools that I plan on getting. Maybe I should
consider other brands besides the Senco and Porter Cable? Any ideas are
welcome.

Grant wrote:
I'm in the market for my first nailer tools. I'd like to get good

tools for
my home shop so I've been looking at the Senco FinishPro 25XP, Senco

SLP20,
and even the Finish Pro 18 in the Senco line. Also for brad nailers

been
considering the Porter Cable BN200.

For Christmas, SWMBO bought me the Porter Cable 'presser/nailer combo.
With coupon for crown stapler. I'm extremely happy with all of the
tools. However, I knew what I was getting and what I could reasonably
expect from it. See below.

For finish nailer I'd like the Senco FinishPro 41XP.

I don't really have anyone else that I can ask for suggestions or try

these
models. But I would rather buy a good tool that is gunna last a good

long
time. My compressor is a 120psi with a 3 gallon tank, but I would

like later
to upgrade that for other airtools that I plan on getting. Maybe I

should
consider other brands besides the Senco and Porter Cable? Any ideas

are
welcome.

If you're looking to upgrade your air compressor, well, that's a whole
'nother thread. If you're asking the group, i.e. me as a member, I say
you can't go wrong with the PC 16ga and 18ga brad nailers. If I'd had
my druthers, I think I'd have had the 15ga rather than 16, but a
helluva gift is a helluva gift, right? Also, I've noticed that "finish
nails" are significantly more expensive than "brad nails" although I've
never bought finish nails, but I did price them while buying brad
nails.

As always, YMMV.

-Phil Crow

Leon

"Grant" wrote in message news:_8PWd.156239$0u.27265@fed1read04...
I'm in the market for my first nailer tools. I'd like to get good tools
for my home shop so I've been looking at the Senco FinishPro 25XP, Senco
SLP20, and even the Finish Pro 18 in the Senco line. Also for brad
nailers been considering the Porter Cable BN200.

For finish nailer I'd like the Senco FinishPro 41XP.

I don't really have anyone else that I can ask for suggestions or try
these models. But I would rather buy a good tool that is gunna last a
good long time. My compressor is a 120psi with a 3 gallon tank, but I
would like later to upgrade that for other airtools that I plan on
getting. Maybe I should consider other brands besides the Senco and
Porter Cable? Any ideas are welcome.

Senco is a pro quality tool and Senco invented the nail gun. So uh they
have been doing this for a very long time. Porter Cable, way too early to
tell if their nail guns will last or hold up compared to a Senco. Some of
the PC guns have been real dogs and others are well liked so far. If you
can afford the Senco, it will likely be your last unless you use it daily
for years on end. Your compressor will do fine for any conventional gun.

Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...

Snip

Also, I've noticed that "finish
nails" are significantly more expensive than "brad nails" although I've
never bought finish nails, but I did price them while buying brad
nails.

As always, YMMV.

LOL... Why yes they are. I typically pay $25 to $30 for a box of finish
nails. If you ever consider getting a framing nailer, check those nail
prices too. Yup, they are more expensive too. IIRC last year I paid
$75.00 for a box of 7500, 2" galvanized ring shank nails.

Leon wrote:
Snip

LOL... Why yes they are. I typically pay $25 to $30 for a box of

finish
nails. If you ever consider getting a framing nailer, check those

nail
prices too. Yup, they are more expensive too. IIRC last year I

paid
$75.00 for a box of 7500, 2" galvanized ring shank nails.

Funny you should mention that. I received a Paslode framing nailer as
"compensation" for doing a job for some friends last week. Yeah, those
8d galv. ring shanks are about $85/box. Even the spikes are over $40.
The whole time, I kept saying, "I'm saving time." CHOCK, CHOCK. "I'm
saving time." CHOCK, CHOCK.

btw, I managed not to shoot a nail into my eye the whole time

-Phil Crow

Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...

Funny you should mention that. I received a Paslode framing nailer as
"compensation" for doing a job for some friends last week. Yeah, those
8d galv. ring shanks are about $85/box. Even the spikes are over $40.
The whole time, I kept saying, "I'm saving time." CHOCK, CHOCK. "I'm
saving time." CHOCK, CHOCK.

That is the one I use. If you build fences it is insanely faster. My
partner and I can put up 50' of fence with 6" wide pickets with 3 rails/6
nails each in less than an hour. I wonder how fast we would be with 2 guns?

btw, I managed not to shoot a nail into my eye the whole time

LOL

CW

wrote in message
ups.com...

btw, I managed not to shoot a nail into my eye the whole time

How about the one in your foot? Sorry, couldn't help it.

Woodcrafter

Here's a review of the Senco 41XP that should help
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/sencoxp41.htm

Amazon is giving away a free brad nailer with the 41XP at present as well.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
WIN! $200 of woodworking tools of your choice!
Enter online today.
Latest 6 Reviews:
- EZ Smart Guide System
- Ryobi EBS1310VK Belt Sander
- Incra V27 Miter Gauge
- GMC BJ110 Biscuit Joiner
- Festool TDK Cordless Drills
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

B a r r y

Grant wrote:
I'm in the market for my first nailer tools. I'd like to get good tools for
my home shop so I've been looking at the Senco FinishPro 25XP, Senco SLP20,
and even the Finish Pro 18 in the Senco line.

In December, I picked up a Senco kit with 15 ga. angled finish nailer,
18 ga. brad nailer, and 18 ga. stapler for $199 at Home Depot. My local
store (Middletown, CT) has two more left, they've been stuck in the
overhead overstock all along. I had to beg someone to take the box down
and get me a kit. The store didn't have display space for the kit, so
it never got put out.

I'm happy with all three tools, I just used the 15 ga. and stapler to
install 3/4" oak flooring and trim. The 15 ga. did a terrific job on
the edge floor boards and the trim, the stapler was handy and very
controllable for tacking down rosin paper. I use the brad nailer a few
times a week. I'd buy this combo again in a heartbeat.

Barry
Grant

Was this the FinishPro 25XP with a free brad nailer for $199. Thanks Barry.

"B a r r y" wrote In
December, I picked up a Senco kit with 15 ga. angled finish nailer,
18 ga. brad nailer, and 18 ga. stapler for $199 at Home Depot.

Grant

Learned how to search the archives on Google. So now all you top-end brand
likers are gunna hate me...I bought the Harbor Freight brad nailer for 19.00
and some of the differents sizes of brads in quanity of 5000 for like $6-$8.
I'm gunna give this brad gun a try for now. On the NG here there were lots
of good reviews of the brad nailer for the price. Just seemed like too good
of a deal to pass up for the price since I'm just starting out.

At this point I really only want to build cabinets for my garage workshop
and work tables for my workshop for starters. I'll use the brad for holding
glued datos like Norm does for MDO cabinets.

What I want now is a finish nailer for this job as well. But reading the
archives it looks as if the finish nailer is the most important to have.
That is why I decided to go with the HF for the brad and save some money for
other things at this point.

So now I need to find a good deal on the finish nailer.

JB

Hi Grant,
I'm looking forward to the review. I think I might use a brad nailer once a
month or so, so a "cheapie" might be about what I need.

"Grant" wrote in message news:WL6Xd.159688$0u.35723@fed1read04...
[...]

JAMES M. PRENDERGAST

In article _8PWd.156239$0u.27265@fed1read04, "Grant" wrote:

I'm in the market for my first nailer tools. I'd like to get good tools for
my home shop so I've been looking at the Senco FinishPro 25XP, Senco SLP20,
and even the Finish Pro 18 in the Senco line. Also for brad nailers been
considering the Porter Cable BN200.

For finish nailer I'd like the Senco FinishPro 41XP.

I don't really have anyone else that I can ask for suggestions or try these
models. But I would rather buy a good tool that is gunna last a good long
time. My compressor is a 120psi with a 3 gallon tank, but I would like later
to upgrade that for other airtools that I plan on getting. Maybe I should
consider other brands besides the Senco and Porter Cable? Any ideas are
welcome.

Grant,

I purchased two Harbor Freight brad nailers - one and a quarter
inch for $19 and 2 inch for $24. I've shot over 1 thousand brads with
these gun and the only problem I've had was when I let the pressure in
my tank drop below 55 pounds. I usually shot at 60 pounds. Just
finishing up a major remodeling project at home and they have been an
absolute life saver - even if I only used them for trim. These guns may
not be up to the standards need for contractor service, but for the home
woodworker/remodeler/hobbyist they have been just fine for me and I'm
sure I will be using them for years to come.
mac davis

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:40:03 -0800, "JB" wrote:

I either use mine every day or not for a month or two.. depends on the projects
or mode I'm in..
I liked my HF 18 ga. brad driver so much that I got a 2nd one.. also bought
their splitting manifold and 2 pigtails, so I can have both drivers on the bench
and ready, one with 3/8" or 1/2" and the other with 3/4' or 1"..
Seems like I spent a lot of time changing nail sizes during a project.. like
short for hardboard and long for stock, so adding a 2nd driver made sense to
me..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
David Hannu

Has anyone tried a Harbor Freight framing nailer? Last time I was in a
HF store, they had it on sale for $99.

-Dave

--
David Hannu