Jay Chan

Default Is 16 Gauge Brad Nailer Actually a Finish Nailer?

I am looking for a 15-gauge or 16-gauge brad nailer in HF. But I get
confused when they described a 16-gauge nailer as a "brad nailer"
instead of a "finish nailer". They called it a heavy duty 16-gauge
brad nailer. Is it really a "finish nailer"? If this is so, I may get
it for nailing baseboard (and then use a 18-gauge brad nailer to nail
the shoe molding into the baseboard).

Thanks for any info in advance.

Jay Chan
DJ Delorie

The missing piece of information is that there's a difference between
brads and finish nails. A 16 gauge brad nailer will most likely not
be able to shoot 16 gauge finish nails.

IMHO brads are not structural nails. They should be used with a
secondary fixative, like glue. We used 16g finish nails for all the
moulding in our house.
Jay Chan

Thanks for all the helpful info that I have received here.

Seem like 16 gauge brad nails are not the same as 16 gauge finish
nails. Therefore, a 16-gauge brad nailer is not the same as a 16-gauge
finish nailer. OK, I get it.

Also thanks for another newsgroup member who has warned me the
possibility that a 16-gauge brad nailer may only support up to 2"
nails and I need to use 2-1/2" nails in order to go through the wood
trim, the dry wood, in order to reach the stub. Indeed, that 16-gauge
brad nail in HF can only support up to 2" nails. This means it is not
appropriate for my need. I will need to look elsewhere.

Thanks again.

Jay Chan