Bob Davis

Default Brad nailer for hanging drywall?

Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

David Binkowski

Uh... No.
The head on the nail is nearly non-existent and thats needed
to hold the wallboard to the stud.

So I installed it on Linux...
"Bob Davis" wrote in message
ink.net...
Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

Traves W. Coppock

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 05:32:23 GMT, "Bob Davis"
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

that's lousy bait...sit back and watch BAD do it...
Gfretwell

It might hold it long enough for a bead of drywall adhesive to set.
David Binkowski

Actually, why not use hat pins ? Or perhaps a thumb tack.

So I installed it on Linux...
"David Binkowski" wrote in message
.com...
Uh... No.
The head on the nail is nearly non-existent and thats needed
to hold the wallboard to the stud.

So I installed it on Linux...
"Bob Davis" wrote in message
ink.net...
Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

JD

not even that.

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
It might hold it long enough for a bead of drywall adhesive to set.

Leon

"David Binkowski" wrote in message

Actually, why not use hat pins ? Or perhaps a thumb tack.

Ahhh... Did you spit the bait back out before the hook set? LOL

Phisherman

wrote:

Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

I would avoid using any kind of nails for drywall, at least in my
house. Use drywall screws and avoid those ugly nail pops years later.
Brads should not be used at all for drywall.
Bob Davis

Thanks for the informative, serious reply. In the meantime, I looked up
Senco nailers and see they sell a dedicated drywall screw gun. That gave me
a clue that drywall should be treated special.

Screws and my trusty dewalt drill will do fine for the amount of drywall I
have to hang.

Bob

wrote:

Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

I would avoid using any kind of nails for drywall, at least in my
house. Use drywall screws and avoid those ugly nail pops years later.
Brads should not be used at all for drywall.

Bob Haar

wrote:

Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

I would avoid using any kind of nails for drywall, at least in my
house. Use drywall screws and avoid those ugly nail pops years later.

By all means, use drywall screws. Note that the fine thread variety are
meant for use with steel studs. Use the coarse threaded ones for wood studs.
Another reason to use real drywall screws is that they are coated to resist
the corrosion that causes rust spots to bleed through drywall joint
compound.

If you are hanging a large amount of drywall, a real screwgun pays for
itself in the time savings and convenience. But you can do just as good a
job with a cordless drill.

Brads should not be used at all for drywall.

Even if you were going to nail up the drywall, you would not want to use
brads. Without heads, they would not hold the drywall against the wall
securely. Most of the nails would pull right through the drywall and provide
no holding power.

Lawrence A. Ramsey

The Senco screw gun is awesome!! YOu will never regret using screws
instead of nails except that it is slightly slower.
\
wrote:

Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

Abe

In article , lramsey@cox-
internet.com says...
wrote:

Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

I hate to *ahem* admit it, but because I had no help and was sick with
the flu... Ok, no excuses. I hung the drywall in part of my garage
using a framing nailer. There, I've said it. It took a while to get
the depth right, but once it was set, it worked pretty well. About 3
out of 4 nails were sunk just to the point of dimpling the paper. The
fourth, of course, was blasted into the drywall to the point where the
head was barely visible down in the rock.

So... taping and cleanup were a bitch. I don't recommend this approach,
if for no other reason than that it'll be a PITA getting all those big
nails out of the studs and joists if I ever decide to go back and do it
right. It also just has to be some kind of code violation. But the
point is, it can be done using larger full-head nails, if you're
desperate. Brads certainly won't hold up anything.

As everyone else is saying, screws are the way to go. Next time I've
got to hang some drywall, I'm getting a screw gun and enlisting some
help.

Cheers,
Abe

--
A numeral would be more efficient than spelling out "ONE" in an email
addy, don't you think?
Renata

Get one of those nifty bits that helps set the screw to proper depth.
Less than a buck.

Renata

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:42:08 GMT, "Bob Davis"
wrote:

Thanks for the informative, serious reply. In the meantime, I looked up
Senco nailers and see they sell a dedicated drywall screw gun. That gave me
a clue that drywall should be treated special.

Screws and my trusty dewalt drill will do fine for the amount of drywall I
have to hang.

Bob

.. .
wrote:

Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

I would avoid using any kind of nails for drywall, at least in my
house. Use drywall screws and avoid those ugly nail pops years later.
Brads should not be used at all for drywall.

smart, not dumb for email
Dave Balderstone

In article , Phisherman
wrote:

Brads should not be used at all for drywall.

Screw drywall...

;-)

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Kevin L. Bowling

One more reason to use drywall screws: In case of fire, drywall nail heads
can pop off and let the sheet fall on the firefighter's head.

Kevin

Lawrence Wasserman

In article . net,
Bob Davis wrote:
Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

I don't think so.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:26:54 GMT, Abe wrote:

I hate to *ahem* admit it, but because I had no help and was sick with
the flu... Ok, no excuses. I hung the drywall in part of my garage
using a framing nailer. There, I've said it. It took a while to get
the depth right, but once it was set, it worked pretty well. About 3
out of 4 nails were sunk just to the point of dimpling the paper. The
fourth, of course, was blasted into the drywall to the point where the
head was barely visible down in the rock.

So... taping and cleanup were a bitch. I don't recommend this approach,
if for no other reason than that it'll be a PITA getting all those big
nails out of the studs and joists if I ever decide to go back and do it
right. It also just has to be some kind of code violation. But the
point is, it can be done using larger full-head nails, if you're
desperate. Brads certainly won't hold up anything.

OK, I've got to try this. I admit to looking at the nail gun and
wondering if it would work, but never tried it. I can run about 8d
nails through the gun, so they aren't that much bigger than drywall
nails. OTOH, I've hung a *lot* of drywall over the years with screws
or hand hammered drywall nails and none of it has ever fallen down.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Well if using a finish nailer what about staplers? Like the SN45 and
such? Big stuff. Or the Paslode 1" crown.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:21:10 -0700, Tim Douglass
wrote:

[...]

Walt Conner

Brad nailer or stapler? I don't think so if you want it to stay there.

Walt Conner

Well if using a finish nailer what about staplers? Like the SN45 and
such?

David Binkowski

Actually I assumed from your question your post had to be a finely
crafted troll.

I have one of those Senco screwguns for drywall (works on wood
too, I assume for plywood framing mostly).. I haven't used it yet
but it seems real nifty. What that other guy said about screws
instead of nails is true also. No pops.

So I installed it on Linux...
ink.net...

wrote:

Can a brad nailer be used successfully to hang drywall?

I would avoid using any kind of nails for drywall, at least in my
house. Use drywall screws and avoid those ugly nail pops years later.
Brads should not be used at all for drywall.

Chris

"Bob Davis" wrote in message link.net...
Thanks for the informative, serious reply. In the meantime, I looked up
Senco nailers and see they sell a dedicated drywall screw gun. That gave me
a clue that drywall should be treated special.

Screws and my trusty dewalt drill will do fine for the amount of drywall I
have to hang.

Bob

As Renata said, I recommend that you get the attachment thingy to set
it at the proper depth. If you decide to do without, the correct
depth is about 1/8" or so. Any less and the spackle will not hold.
Too much more and the paper will tear, which severely limits the
holding power of the screw head.

Oh yeah, coarse thread for wood, fine thread for steel studs. Also
coarse thread for that stuff that they try to pass off as wood at the
Borg.

-Chris