Echo

Default What to look for in an air nailer?

I'm in the planning stage of our living room upgrade, which will
continue into the dining room and hallway. I'll be installing; crown
modling and built-in bookself/cabinets for sure. We are also kicking
around the idea of wainscotting. A relative of my is offering me an
20 gal 4 HP air compressor for next to nothing. Now all I need is a
nailer to go with it. For the above job I'm figuring I'll need
something that will be able drive upto a 2-1/2" finish nail.

What are the essential feature for a nailer? I've seen things like;

3/4" to 2-1/2" vs 1-1/4" to 2-1/2" nail size
Depth-of-drive adjuster
ajustable exahust
straight vs angled nailer
oil and oiless
etc.

Are the any nailers to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
Ed
Bob S.

Look in the latest issue of AW for their reviews of nailers...

Bob S.

Mike in Mystic

For the applications you are describing, getting an angled nailer will be a
good idea. It makes getting tight into corners a lot easier. I'm not sure
I've ever seen an "oiless" air nailer - all the ones I've used suggest
putting several drops of oil in the air inlet to guard against any moisture
from the compressor. Adjustable exhaust is good, too.

I have a porter-cable 16 gauge brad nailer which is great and a 23 gauge
senco pin nailer which is also wonderful. I also got an 18 gauge harbor
freight special, which isn't too bad for the $25 it cost, but you can
definitely tell the difference. Other brands to consider are hitachi and
bostitch, but probably others.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

"Echo" wrote in message
om...
I'm in the planning stage of our living room upgrade, which will
continue into the dining room and hallway. I'll be installing; crown
modling and built-in bookself/cabinets for sure. We are also kicking
around the idea of wainscotting. A relative of my is offering me an
20 gal 4 HP air compressor for next to nothing. Now all I need is a
nailer to go with it. For the above job I'm figuring I'll need
something that will be able drive upto a 2-1/2" finish nail.

What are the essential feature for a nailer? I've seen things like;

3/4" to 2-1/2" vs 1-1/4" to 2-1/2" nail size
Depth-of-drive adjuster
ajustable exahust
straight vs angled nailer
oil and oiless
etc.

Are the any nailers to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Mark

You're looking at a 16 g nailer.
You could consider a 15 g nailer...but consider the ammo is 3 times the
cost. Don't spend too much time comparing nit-picky features.
Doubtful you'll even use them.
If the gun is not brand name, make sure it has full safety features.
(I have one that doesn't and a hair trigger to boot - I treat like a
loaded .44 magnum with an attitude!)
I haven't seen any air tool that didn't require oil. If I saw "oilless"
on an advertisement, I'd be suspicious.
The brands the others have mentioned are all tried and true.
You might consider an angled nailer which is more easily used in corners.
Mark from Pasadena, MD

wrote:
On 1 Aug 2003 08:05:32 -0700,
(Echo) wrote:

I'm in the planning stage of our living room upgrade, which will
continue into the dining room and hallway. I'll be installing; crown
modling and built-in bookself/cabinets for sure. We are also kicking
around the idea of wainscotting. A relative of my is offering me an
20 gal 4 HP air compressor for next to nothing. Now all I need is a
nailer to go with it. For the above job I'm figuring I'll need
something that will be able drive upto a 2-1/2" finish nail.

What are the essential feature for a nailer? I've seen things like;

3/4" to 2-1/2" vs 1-1/4" to 2-1/2" nail size
Depth-of-drive adjuster
ajustable exahust
straight vs angled nailer
oil and oiless
etc.

Are the any nailers to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Senco says it all. george

Charlie Self

Leon responds:

"Mark" wrote in message

Snip

I haven't seen any air tool that didn't require oil. If I saw "oilless"
on an advertisement, I'd be suspicious.

HUH? Senco has been building oil-less guns for many years and are quite
dependable. And they are not the only company building dependable oil-less
guns.

Most all of them do, probably all. I think Mark has not looked around much.

Charlie Self

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." George W. Bush,
Greater Nashua,N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000