cp

Default Recommendation for a Brad Nailer

Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Thanks

Greg G.

cp wandered in from the void and babbled something like:

Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Well, 2" brads generally bend before hitting home, so I have limited
myself to shorter brad models. IMHO, if you need a fastener that
long, you should consider a finish nailer instead. An 18 gauge brad
2" long will often end up sticking out of the side of the workpiece.

I am boycotting Stanley/Bostich products these days, so...

I have a Senco Finish Pro 15 and a Harbor Freight $39.00 special.
I bought the HF last year just to see if I would ever use it - and I
have used it quite a bit. The Senco FP15 was include free with a
Senco FramePro Framing Nailer I bought last month - didn't even know
it was there till I opened the box! Both work fine - but:

The Senco is lighter, quieter, and has a plastic guard on the safety
lever to prevent marring your work. It has a more precise 'feel' to
it - it's a nice piece made in Taiwan. It has a thumb-wheel
adjustment to control the depth of drive - and it works as advertised.
Although it has seen limited use thus far, it has never jammed or
misfired, and it handles brads from 5/8 to 1 1/4".

The HF is OK. It hasn't jammed once in 8000 brads, but is heavier,
clunkier, and the safety guard is a rather loose fitting affair. It
occasionally leaves indentations on the workpiece from the safety
lever. It is Chinese, and includes an O-ring rebuild kit and a leaky
bottle of air tool oil. It does NOT have a depth of drive adjustment,
and you must fiddle with the air pressure to control the depth - which
varies according to the material density you are driving brads into.
It handles brads up from 5/8" to 1 3/16" I believe.

Greg

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 02:58:46 GMT, "cp" wrote:

Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Thanks

I'm real happy with my senco guns
Bridger
Jeff Heyen

cp, I just got the P-C brad nailer to complement my P-C finish nailer.

I'll agree w/ the other posters that 2" brads will be problematic. Get
a finish nailer for those lengths. The P-C unit I got was reasonably
priced and seems to work well.

Jeff

"cp" wrote in message
Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Thanks

Upscale

I've got a Porter-Cable FN250. Felt that it gave me the largest range of
nail sizes for the price.

"cp" wrote in message
Need a recommendation for a brad nailer
5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....
Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Mapdude

I went with the Porter Cable finish and brad nailers. My suggestion is
to watch eBay and pick them up for about 2/3 of retial price. I watched
the auctions for about 3 weeks and finally got mine for under $75 each.

cp wrote:
Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Thanks

Brian

I couldn't be happier with my Grizzly:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=H2911

Brian.

"cp" wrote in message
Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Thanks

Larry C in Auburn, WA

Harbor Freight, lots of junk there, but everyone (including me) seems happy
with the brad nailers. For 20-30 bucks it's tough to beat. I just bought
one for my FIL for $20 which includes a case and a couple boxes of nails.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"cp" wrote in message
Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Thanks

Fly-by-Night CC

In article Gr9Db.554434$Fm2.523113@attbi_s04, "cp"
wrote:

Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Senco XP25 - about $150, oil-less, and USA made. One top notch nailer.

http://www.flybynightcoppercompany.com
http://www.easystreet.com/~onlnlowe/index.html
Bob

Pneumatic or electric?
I recently bought the "Task Force" electric--shoots 5/8"-1 1/4"--for less
than $50, so far, so good!

--
In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
WD wrote:

$150 for a Senco? Unless my bread and butter depends on it, I would
rather buy a $19 HF's brad nailer, or seven HF's brad nailer to one
Senco XP25!

Bottom line = $150 Vs $19!

A) I believe in buying the best I can afford.
2) I don't want any frustration with what may turn out to be a cheap
tool (as opposed to an inexpensive one).
C) I believe in supporting American made products - if the dollars I
spent help feed, clothe and shelter a neighbor so that they in turn can
support their neighbor, then that's where I'll direct my money. It's not
always about how cheaply you can buy your goods and services as to
whether you and your's prosper.

http://www.flybynightcoppercompany.com
http://www.easystreet.com/~onlnlowe/index.html
Phisherman

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 02:58:46 GMT, "cp" wrote:

Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Thanks

If you have the cash, Senco. Buy their fasteners too.

Nova

Phisherman wrote:

If you have the cash, Senco. Buy their fasteners too.

I have the Senco "Accuset" brad nailer. Senco brads are difficult to
find in my area. I tired using other brands, which caused the gun to
jam.

I contacted Senco about the problem their tech support told me that if
I wanted to use other manufacture's brads to load them one notch
higher than normal for the Senco brand, as the Senco brads are
slightly shorter than the others. Doing so solved the problem.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Tim Douglass

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 02:58:46 GMT, "cp" wrote:

Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

I'm very happy with my P-C brad nailer, which I got as a factory
recon. for about 50% of new retail. I have a Senco oil-less 15 ga
finish nailer that is definitely the cat's pajamas. Got it from e-bay,
used, kinda ugly, but can't beat the price or the performance.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Slowhand

"cp" wrote in message
Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

I use and recommend the bostich.
SH

Ryan Morin

I definatly recommend the porter cable i have been using mine for
about 2 years and have yet to have a problem with it.