Greg G.

Default Recommendation for a Brad Nailer

cp wandered in from the void and babbled something like:

Need a recommendation for a brad nailer

5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....

Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?

Well, 2" brads generally bend before hitting home, so I have limited
myself to shorter brad models. IMHO, if you need a fastener that
long, you should consider a finish nailer instead. An 18 gauge brad
2" long will often end up sticking out of the side of the workpiece.

I am boycotting Stanley/Bostich products these days, so...

I have a Senco Finish Pro 15 and a Harbor Freight $39.00 special.
I bought the HF last year just to see if I would ever use it - and I
have used it quite a bit. The Senco FP15 was include free with a
Senco FramePro Framing Nailer I bought last month - didn't even know
it was there till I opened the box! Both work fine - but:

The Senco is lighter, quieter, and has a plastic guard on the safety
lever to prevent marring your work. It has a more precise 'feel' to
it - it's a nice piece made in Taiwan. It has a thumb-wheel
adjustment to control the depth of drive - and it works as advertised.
Although it has seen limited use thus far, it has never jammed or
misfired, and it handles brads from 5/8 to 1 1/4".

The HF is OK. It hasn't jammed once in 8000 brads, but is heavier,
clunkier, and the safety guard is a rather loose fitting affair. It
occasionally leaves indentations on the workpiece from the safety
lever. It is Chinese, and includes an O-ring rebuild kit and a leaky
bottle of air tool oil. It does NOT have a depth of drive adjustment,
and you must fiddle with the air pressure to control the depth - which
varies according to the material density you are driving brads into.
It handles brads up from 5/8" to 1 3/16" I believe.

Greg