Mark Witczak

Default Porter Cable vs. Bostitch Finish Nailer Combo Kits

After manually installing baseboards in half my house and borrowing my
neighbor's nail gun/compressor for another quater, I'm ready to take the
plung and buy my own finish nailer. I looked around the local big box
stores and found a couple of good deals. HD has a Porter Cable "starter
kit" details below for $299:

Brad nailer kit (BN125A) Uses 18 gauge, 5/8" to 1-1/4" brad nails.
Finish-Nailer kit (FN250B) Uses 16 gauge, 3/4" to 2-1/2" finish nails.
Features include adjustable depth-of-drive, jam release mechanism and
non-marring nose tip, 10 Amp, 120 VAC, 2 Peak HP motor, Oil-free design
for less maintenance, Ability to run on standard household current. 3.7
SCFM @ 40 PSI - 2.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI.

And Lowes has a (suspiciously) similar Bostitch kit for $299, details below:

Depth adjustment
Sequential trip trigger
2 HP, 6 gallon compressor
1-1/2" 16 gauge finish nailer kit
15/8" 18 gauge brad nailer kit
Includes hose and all required fittings
70 to 120 psi required to operate tool

My question is should I just toss a coin? Who is the better
manufacturer? Which one is of a better quality? I see a definite
possibility of renting/buying a framing nailer to build a shed next
summer, would that make a difference in the recommendation?

Thanks,
Mark
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Witczak" wrote in message
HD has a Porter Cable "starter kit" details below for $299:

And Lowes has a (suspiciously) similar Bostitch kit for $299, details
below:

My question is should I just toss a coin?

Toss away. I have a PC and a Bostitch. Both are equally good, IMO. This is
a case where you can use all the wrong reasons and make the right decision.
Buy the one with the pretty color. Or buy the one with the cute sales
person. Or buy the one with the 20¢ off coupon. Or the closest on the way
home from work.

OK, I'll toss, you call it.
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
It came out TAILS

Buck Turgidson

Depth adjustment
Sequential trip trigger
2 HP, 6 gallon compressor
1-1/2" 16 gauge finish nailer kit
15/8" 18 gauge brad nailer kit
Includes hose and all required fittings
70 to 120 psi required to operate tool

Did you really mean 1-1/2" for Bostitch, vs 2-1/2" for PC? That extra inch
makes a difference in terms of holding power, etc. I have the PC
compressor and it works well. I have Senco nail guns which I bought on
special on Amazon. They have deals there, too.

Ron

I bought the PC kit from amazon.com several months ago.
Works great, no complaints.
BTW, amazon.com has the same kit for $299 - $25 for any tool purchase over
$199.
Free shipping & no sales tax...

Ron

[...]

Joseph Smith

I would wait on either, till around the first of October.
PC usually will come around with some deals to clear
out their inventory and some good deals may be had
to make room for next years stuff that'll showcase for
Christmas.

[...]

Gerald Ross

Mark Witczak wrote:
[...]

I just put the second replacement trigger assembly on my Bostich. And I
seldom use it. I would vote for the Porter Cable (which my brother has).
He has never had any problems with it.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

SQLit

[...]

Try Harbor Freight I have 2 finish mailers from them and use the crap out of
them.

Leon

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Depth adjustment
Sequential trip trigger
2 HP, 6 gallon compressor
1-1/2" 16 gauge finish nailer kit
15/8" 18 gauge brad nailer kit
Includes hose and all required fittings
70 to 120 psi required to operate tool

Did you really mean 1-1/2" for Bostitch, vs 2-1/2" for PC? That extra
inch
makes a difference in terms of holding power, etc. I have the PC
compressor and it works well. I have Senco nail guns which I bought on
special on Amazon. They have deals there, too.

Yeah, 2 different style guns. The Bostich is a Brad nailer while the PC is
a Finish nailer. I'd go for the finish nailer myself.

patrick conroy

"Mark Witczak" wrote in message

stores and found a couple of good deals. HD has a Porter Cable "starter
kit" details below for $299:

I bought the Old Starter Kit from HD a year or two ago - just the compressor
and the FN250B. Recently added a HF brad nailer for $20.

I like the FN250B. The compressor is fine, although the On/Off switch broke
off of it shortly.

I agree with some of the others - toss a coin.

Nova

Mark Witczak wrote:

snip

My question is should I just toss a coin? Who is the better
manufacturer? Which one is of a better quality? I see a definite
possibility of renting/buying a framing nailer to build a shed next
summer, would that make a difference in the recommendation?

Thanks,
Mark

The deciding factor for me was the availability on nails at various different
hardware stores in my area. The PC type were readily available. Nails for the
Bostitch were not.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Bob Peterson

I bought an 18 gauge brad nailer from HF that goes upto 2" and it works
quite well, at least for the light duty I have given it. not bad for $20 on
sale. It even came with a spare piston and o-ring.

"p_j" wrote in message
.. .
SQLit wrote:

Try Harbor Freight I have 2 finish mailers from them and use the crap out
of
them.

Fifteen gauge? If so, do you use any non HF nails?

SteveC1280

Is there much of a difference between 15 & 16 guage as far as usefulness is
concerned? I will be doing do all the finish work in my new house.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
Phisherman

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:56:54 -0400, Mark Witczak
wrote:

[...]

I have a Bostitch office stapler (for paper) that is over 40 years
old. It is built like a tank. But, for air nailer guns, my choice
would be Porter Cable. Senco is the Cadillac of air guns.

patrick conroy

"Phisherman" wrote in message

I have a Bostitch office stapler (for paper) that is over 40 years
old. It is built like a tank. But, for air nailer guns, my choice

Staplers?
Only one.
Swingline Model 747 circa 1983.

No one's allowed to touch my stapler.
No one...

superpac

HAVE THE PORTER CABLE COMBO, NO PROBLEMS, GOOD PRESSUE, LASTS A LONG TIME
BEFORE CYCLING ON, IE LESS LOUD RUN TIME. WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT.
ALSO GOT A GREAT DEAL LAST YEAR AT THE BORG. IF YOU CAN WAIT, AMAZON IS
ALSO AN EXCELLENT WAY TO GO. BOUGHT MY TABLE SAW FROM THEM. WHAT A
SAVINGS.

REMOVE REMOVE TO EMAIL

STEVE
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

replying to Mark Witczak, Joshua Perez wrote:
I have a sb-1850bn nailer from Bostitch and a bn200sb nail gun they seam to be
very similar so I took them apart put part of one on the other put it back
together and it worked they are pretty much the same gun except for the price
maybe the warranty

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-549049-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

My Harbor Freight $18 nailer just quit. (800 sq. FT. basement remodel, lots of trim). Just bought my second one ($14.60 after 20% coupon). Very happy. I should probably buy 2, for backup.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 23:09:29 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

My Harbor Freight $18 nailer just quit. (800 sq. FT. basement remodel, lots of trim). Just bought my second one ($14.60 after 20% coupon). Very happy. I should probably buy 2, for backup.

Or you could have bought a good one that would last a lifetime. I
don't like the idea of single-use tools, particularly if I'm going to
use it more than once.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2017 2:09 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
My Harbor Freight $18 nailer just quit. (800 sq. FT. basement remodel, lots of trim). Just bought my second one ($14.60 after 20% coupon). Very happy. I should probably buy 2, for backup.

Did you ever oil it?
I have one that has done a lot of stapling, and is still going strong

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

I certainly wouldn't call 18 months of remodeling "single use".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 23:04:43 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

I certainly wouldn't call 18 months of remodeling "single use".

800 ft^ is 18 months work? It was, in fact, a single use.