Jack

Default Buying first finish nailer

Hello,
I am buying my first finish nailer. I know this has been discussed here
over and over, but with new guns coming out all the time, new opinions are
always offered.

Went to HD, saw the bostitch angled 15 g. Liked it because it was light. I
will be doing lots of trim work in my house.
What is out there that you like? straight or angled ? 15g or 16 g (16 g
straight seem to be alot less $$), things I should watch out for.

BTW, a guy in my state just got killed using a framing nailer, which now has
my wife freaking out
Thanks for your time.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jack" wrote in message

BTW, a guy in my state just got killed using a framing nailer, which now

has
my wife freaking out

People are like that. I'm sure she has stopped you from using other things
that have killed people like the bathtub, knives, bicycles, stairs, crossing
streets, etc.

You do have to use some care with a nailer. It is very easy to hold a
couple of pieces of wood together too close to where the nail is going to
hit. The wood grain can deflect it right into your flesh. In the case of
framing nailers, a lot of guys set them so they will fire when bumped
instead of pulling the trigger every time.
Ed

SawEyes

"Jack" wrote in message
Hello,
I am buying my first finish nailer. I know this has been discussed here
over and over, but with new guns coming out all the time, new opinions are
always offered.

Went to HD, saw the bostitch angled 15 g. Liked it because it was light.

will be doing lots of trim work in my house.
What is out there that you like? straight or angled ? 15g or 16 g (16 g
straight seem to be alot less $$), things I should watch out for.

BTW, a guy in my state just got killed using a framing nailer, which now

has
my wife freaking out
Thanks for your time.

You might like to read this review:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/sencoxp41.htm

Dean

Mark

Jack wrote:

BTW, a guy in my state just got killed using a framing nailer, which now has
my wife freaking out

Your wife wouldn't last long around here.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice
there is.

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens, A.K.A.
Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the suspense.
(Gaz, r.moto)

Pat Barber

There is something to be said for "light"... Watch out for
guns that prefer a real specific nail... That can get
expensive. I bought a Bostitch stapler and didn't find out
till it was too late that it rerquires "their" staples and
no other manufacture uses that staple.

I tend to lean toward Porter Cable for nailers cause they
will shoot just about anybody's nails...

I have the angled 15g finish nailer and it work like a champ.
The angle tends to come in while doing baseboard or crown
molding.

You are gonna need more than one gun...

Choose Wisely..

Jack wrote:
Hello,
I am buying my first finish nailer. I know this has been discussed here
over and over, but with new guns coming out all the time, new opinions are
always offered.

Went to HD, saw the bostitch angled 15 g. Liked it because it was light. I
will be doing lots of trim work in my house.
What is out there that you like? straight or angled ? 15g or 16 g (16 g
straight seem to be alot less $$), things I should watch out for.

Buck Turgidson

BTW, a guy in my state just got killed using a framing nailer, which now
has
my wife freaking out
Thanks for your time.

Just curious, how'd he manage to do it?

Bill Schnakenberg

Jack wrote:

Hello,
I am buying my first finish nailer. I know this has been discussed here
over and over, but with new guns coming out all the time, new opinions are
always offered.

Went to HD, saw the bostitch angled 15 g. Liked it because it was light. I
will be doing lots of trim work in my house.
What is out there that you like? straight or angled ? 15g or 16 g (16 g
straight seem to be alot less $$), things I should watch out for.

BTW, a guy in my state just got killed using a framing nailer, which now has
my wife freaking out
Thanks for your time.

They all don't get killed.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/05/05/nailed.skull.ap/

I have a Porter-Cable 15 ga angle finish nailer and it works well.

--
Bill

Leon

"Jack" wrote in message
> [...]
Snip

Went to HD, saw the bostitch angled 15 g. Liked it because it was light.

will be doing lots of trim work in my house.
What is out there that you like? straight or angled ?

Normally all finish nail guns are angled. Normally all Brad nail guns are
straight.

15g or 16 g (16 g
straight seem to be a lot less $$), things I should watch out for.

If you are looking at the lite weight straight guns, you are probably not
looking a finish nail guns.
Finish nail guns are about half way in between a framing nail gun and a brad
nail gun in size.

BTW, a guy in my state just got killed using a framing nailer, which now

has
my wife freaking out
Thanks for your time.

Tom Kendrick

I started with the PC BN125 (18 ga. brad). Worked great on base shoe
and quarter round floor trim.
Two of my friends have the PC FN250 (16 ga. finish) which I can
borrow, so I went with the PC DA250 (15 ga. angle finish). Did a nice
job on the garage door trim, though it's a large unit.
Some trim which I have removed is installed with narrow-crown staples,
so I picked up a Spotnails WS4840 at the local framing supplier. It's
not the smallest, but it holds many staples before needing a reload.
Put up some fascia outside trim on a carport and a church with it.
Light, quiet and easy to use at arm's length.

You will eventually find a use for all 3 as stated before.

Eric Ryder

"Jack" wrote in message
Hello,
I am buying my first finish nailer. I know this has been discussed here
over and over, but with new guns coming out all the time, new opinions are
always offered.

Went to HD, saw the bostitch angled 15 g. Liked it because it was light.

will be doing lots of trim work in my house.
What is out there that you like? straight or angled ? 15g or 16 g (16 g
straight seem to be alot less $$), things I should watch out for.

BTW, a guy in my state just got killed using a framing nailer, which now

has
my wife freaking out
Thanks for your time.

The Bostich is a fine gun - I've got a decade or so on mine. If I ws buying
again, I'd look the Sencos over hard. For home construction/remodeling, the
angled nailer is the first one to have (in 15 or 16 ga).

Keep all body parts at least one fasteners-length from the gun - assume any
exception will result in a piercing (scream).

Fly-by-Night CC

In article H42rc.46946$pJ1.15652@lakeread02,
"Jack" wrote:

Went to HD, saw the bostitch angled 15 g. Liked it because it was light. I
will be doing lots of trim work in my house.
What is out there that you like? straight or angled ? 15g or 16 g (16 g
straight seem to be alot less $$), things I should watch out for.

I opted to buy a Senco 15 gage angled nailer for trim. Do a quick
looksee of local hardware and home centers to make sure that the
compatible nails are readily available, whatever size and brand of
nailer you get.

http://www.flybynightcoppercompany.com
http://www.easystreet.com/~onlnlowe/index.html
Gregory Jensen

Lots of good info Here.. I have been on the Recieving end of a nail gun
incident a couple of times.. It would serve you good to read up on how to
keep your nails from "following the Grain" : and comming out the side of
your wood work ( happend to me and I caught the nail in my finger OUCH..)
My Framing gun incident was pretty straight forward. I was just nailing 2,
2 x 4's together at the end of a wall . I place the gun where I wanted the
nail, Pulled the trigger and it fired twice ( yes I have mine set to Bump
the safety back) the second nail did NOT hit the wood it missed ( just
barely off the end of the board) and I ended up with a 16d in the side of my
finger and it almost went all the way through can you say OUCH.. I jerked it
out went to the Clinic to get it checked ( I did Not want any infection you
know puncture wounds arent good) anyway The Clinic Dr said that he see a
Nail gun Injury every week or so all summer/..
so my$.02 is " THINK"
Good luck

"Jack" wrote in message
Hello,
I am buying my first finish nailer. I know this has been discussed here
over and over, but with new guns coming out all the time, new opinions are
always offered.

Went to HD, saw the bostitch angled 15 g. Liked it because it was light.

will be doing lots of trim work in my house.
What is out there that you like? straight or angled ? 15g or 16 g (16 g
straight seem to be alot less $$), things I should watch out for.

BTW, a guy in my state just got killed using a framing nailer, which now

has
my wife freaking out
Thanks for your time.

Renata

Angled nailers get into tighter spaces. Not sure if you need this
quality...though trim work would be one area in which it might be
handy (corners).

Just bought a Bostich brad nailer to replace a PC one that was
borrowed. Seems very nice thought I haven't used it a lot.

I heard the Senco's are now made in China.

Gotta be very aware of what you're doing with nailers, particularly a
framer. e.g. when you're doing a job involving a lot of nailing, you
might get in the habit of carrying the gun with the trigger depressed
(since that's the way you leave it when shooting - bounce nailing).
Then you forget and the minute that "foot" is depressed you shoot a
nail and it may not be expected.

Also, gotta be aware of where the nail MAY come out if it deflects -
and NOT place your hand or foot near there. e.g. we were framing up a
wall and the key is to shoot the bottom nail into the stud first while
your foot may be on top to stabilize. Then remove foot, shoot top
nail. (Wall in horizontal position - prior to being raised).

Renata

On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:19:17 -0400, "Jack"
wrote:

Hello,
I am buying my first finish nailer. I know this has been discussed here
over and over, but with new guns coming out all the time, new opinions are
always offered.

Went to HD, saw the bostitch angled 15 g. Liked it because it was light. I
will be doing lots of trim work in my house.
What is out there that you like? straight or angled ? 15g or 16 g (16 g
straight seem to be alot less $$), things I should watch out for.

BTW, a guy in my state just got killed using a framing nailer, which now has
my wife freaking out
Thanks for your time.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Renata wrote:

I heard the Senco's are now made in China.

AFAIK, some are, some aren't - read the label to be sure.