Default Craftman 16 ga. Finish Nailer Combo?

We're planning to get my father in law a Sears Craftsman 16 ga.
finish nailer and compressor (combo kit) for Christmas ($289). Are
they worthwhile or should we look for another type on the net or
Lowes?
Any suggestions or sources would be appreciated.

bob

Most any oil-less compressor is going to be LOUD. Is he okay with the
noise? I've got an 8 year old Craftsman nailer that sees regular use
through the year and it's held up fine. No problems.

Bob

wrote in message ...
We're planning to get my father in law a Sears Craftsman 16 ga.
finish nailer and compressor (combo kit) for Christmas ($289). Are
they worthwhile or should we look for another type on the net or
Lowes?
Any suggestions or sources would be appreciated.

Bob

If he doesn't need 16, the 18 gauge electric nailer, made by Task Force, and
available at Lowe's works great--I got one about a month ago, and so far,
I'm pleased with it!
Cost about $50!!

--
In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!

John

wrote in message ...
We're planning to get my father in law a Sears Craftsman 16 ga.
finish nailer and compressor (combo kit) for Christmas ($289). Are
they worthwhile or should we look for another type on the net or
Lowes?
Any suggestions or sources would be appreciated.

Don't know anything about the Sears combo kit but I picked up the
Porter Cable CFFN250N combo kit from Coastal Tool
(
www.coastaltool.com) for $289.00 (plus shipping) about six weeks ago.
Same compressor, appears to be made by the same manufacturer. In
addition to the finish nailer, you also get a brad nailer throw in.
Amazon.com also sells the same package for $299.00 (free shipping).

Plus then you have an excuse to buy $200.00 more so you can get the
Porter Cable rebate (get 75.00 or a free tool when you buy $500.00
worth of Porter Cable tools). Just tell the wife "Hey, if I don't do
it, it's like throwing away money". By the time she figures out your
logic, it's too late.

Since I've had it, I've used the brad nailer to build a drill press
cabinet ("Just a few brads to hold it til the glue dries") and used
the finish nailer to put in new baseboard molding and chair railing.
It really makes thing so much easier. Whatever package you get, your
father-in-law will love it.

Also, if you do get the sears model, I just noticed it's on sale for
274.00 on their web site (free shipping but you have to pay sales
tax).