CW

I make my own.

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...
leonard wrote:
I like the one my wife made, it's kevlar with some type of soft

coating
that is light seems to be able to take the shop.She's a rocket scientist

so
who knows were she got the materials.

len

Len, never ask questions you don't want to know the answer to.

Seriously, when I want an apron my wife whips one up for me, to my design.

There are certain advantages to this marriage thing.

--RC

Never Enough Money

Speaking of Lie-Nielsen cache, the LN apron has "Lie-Nileson" embossed
on the chest. I don't care who you are, you must admit that's cool.

John

Actually, I expect companies to PAY ME for doing their advertising. I
don't wear ballcaps with tool maker's names/logos on them, don't wear
shirts wtih advertising on them either. They want ME to wear THEIR
advertising, then at least they can GIVE the shirt/hat/whatever to me
for FREE

John

On 28 Feb 2005 18:46:29 -0800, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

Speaking of Lie-Nielsen cache, the LN apron has "Lie-Nileson" embossed
on the chest. I don't care who you are, you must admit that's cool.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dan Valleskey" valleskey at comcast dot net wrote in message

Guess you never had a Lie-Nielsen plane.

-Dan V.

I've had a lot of quality tools, bought from quality companies, but I still
won't buy and pay for anything with there logo. I have probably a dozen
shirts with corporate logos on them. Every one was FREE. Yes, I'll wear
them. I'll even wear one that says "Dan Valleskey for Mayor" if you give it
to me for FREE.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:53:39 -0600, the inscrutable John
spake:

Actually, I expect companies to PAY ME for doing their advertising. I
don't wear ballcaps with tool maker's names/logos on them, don't wear
shirts wtih advertising on them either. They want ME to wear THEIR
advertising, then at least they can GIVE the shirt/hat/whatever to me
for FREE

Agreed, wholeheartedly. Then again, we're not caught up in the status
symbol frenzy of.

Now where in HELL can I buy a nice, discreet Casio watch with NO bold
and colorful printing smeared all over it? I like Casio's countdown
timers and alarms far better than Timex.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----
TeamCasa

This reminds me of the people who drive around for years with the dealer's
license plate holders on their car. The first thing I do is get rid of
those.

As a car dealer, I like the dealer licenses plate frames. We appreaciate
all those that continue to wear our name proudly.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Badger

Larry Jaques wrote:
Now where in HELL can I buy a nice, discreet Casio watch with NO bold
and colorful printing smeared all over it? I like Casio's countdown
timers and alarms far better than Timex.

I like casio too, last one lasted over 25 years, including a trip
through a roof and a fall of 18 feet, with me attached, into hard-core
with little more than a scratch on the glass and a dent in the rim (I
was knocked out, broke my sturnum, and the damage to my left knee still
causes problems, the inch thick 8x4 sheet of ply that followed me
through missed!). My Christmas present Timex lasted 7 weeks before the
winder (adjuster) spindle broke....

Edwin Pawlowski

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
This reminds me of the people who drive around for years with the
dealer's
license plate holders on their car. The first thing I do is get rid of
those.

As a car dealer, I like the dealer licenses plate frames. We appreaciate
all those that continue to wear our name proudly.

Dave

I'm sure you do. Never had a car, new or used, that kept the dealer name
for more than an hour after I got it home. Last three the dealer did not
bother putting his name on them. Years ago, we'd removed even the car
maker's ornaments to clean up a car.

We had a dealer in town that had the most awful looking oversized sticker on
his cars. I was ready to buy and told him we had a deal. Just remove the
sticker. He refused. I walked. Evidently others did too as he folded in
less than a year.
Ed

B a r r y

TeamCasa wrote:

As a car dealer, I like the dealer licenses plate frames. We appreaciate
all those that continue to wear our name proudly.

At least I can take them off without a heat gun. G

Barry

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:23:12 GMT, the inscrutable Badger
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Now where in HELL can I buy a nice, discreet Casio watch with NO bold
and colorful printing smeared all over it? I like Casio's countdown
timers and alarms far better than Timex.

I like casio too, last one lasted over 25 years, including a trip
through a roof and a fall of 18 feet, with me attached, into hard-core
with little more than a scratch on the glass and a dent in the rim (I
was knocked out, broke my sturnum, and the damage to my left knee still
causes problems, the inch thick 8x4 sheet of ply that followed me
through missed!). My Christmas present Timex lasted 7 weeks before the
winder (adjuster) spindle broke....

Me? I'm harder on watches than my body. I use stairs and ladders
exclusively, thanks. Ouch! Your story hurts just to READ!

I usually damage the lens before 3 years are up. Finding a nice
plain watch nowadays is nearly impossible. Rats!

Maybe I'll write to Casio and say "_Enough_ with the text, just
give me a plain watch. I don't need to know it's WATERPROOF TO
300 FEET, SHOCKPROOF TO 50Gs, ALARM, CHRONO, TIMER and all that
other stuff which should be found in the manual (and/or on the bezel),
NOT on the face of the watch."

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Duane Bozarth

Larry Jaques wrote:
Maybe I'll write to Casio and say "_Enough_ with the text, just
give me a plain watch. I don't need to know it's WATERPROOF TO
300 FEET, SHOCKPROOF TO 50Gs, ALARM, CHRONO, TIMER and all that
other stuff which should be found in the manual (and/or on the bezel),
NOT on the face of the watch."

Me, too...I'm terribly destructive on watches so I've gone to buying the
$8 whatever of the day that's the smallest profile analog face thing
(hopefully not Chinese altho that's getting harder) and saving the
40-year old Bulova folks got me for HS graduation for non-every day...
Morris Dovey

Larry Jaques wrote:

Now where in HELL can I buy a nice, discreet Casio watch
with NO bold and colorful printing smeared all over it? I
like Casio's countdown timers and alarms far better than
Timex.

Me? I'm harder on watches than my body. I use stairs and
ladders exclusively, thanks. Ouch! Your story hurts just to
READ!

I usually damage the lens before 3 years are up. Finding a
nice plain watch nowadays is nearly impossible. Rats!

Back in the days when I was /really/ rough on watches - and had
managed to destroy five watches (a casio, a TI, a Bulova, a
Timex, and another that I can't remember) in a single month - I
went to a little jewelery store in Fayetteville, NC (Hatchers
Jewelery?) and told the owner that I wanted a watch that'd take a
/real/ lickin' and keep on tickin'.

He said he had just the watch. A bit pricey (almost $300!), but
carried an unconditional guarantee. I gave him half of that and
told him that I'd be back next payday with the other half to pick
up the watch. He surprised me by telling me to put the watch on
and that he expected to see me on payday...

It's on my wrist now. Since then it's survived horrific
ill-treatment - everything from really lousy parachute landings
to salt water sailing and diving to years of EMF in a lab - and I
don't think I've ever not worn it in the shop. I did once manage
to shred a stainless band; but that accident didn't damage the
case. With a "tune up" every ten or twelve years, it's stayed
accurate to within a second or two a day.

The manufacturer's current offerings have become IMHO /too/
pricey; but it might be worth looking for a /used/ plain vanilla
Rolex. It'll probably outlast the wearer.

....Oh yes, for anyone wondering - I did go back the next payday
with the other half of the payment.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Badger

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:23:12 GMT, the inscrutable Badger
spake:

I like casio too, last one lasted over 25 years, including a trip
through a roof and a fall of 18 feet, with me attached, into hard-core
with little more than a scratch on the glass and a dent in the rim (I
was knocked out, broke my sturnum, and the damage to my left knee still
causes problems, the inch thick 8x4 sheet of ply that followed me
through missed!). My Christmas present Timex lasted 7 weeks before the
winder (adjuster) spindle broke....

Me? I'm harder on watches than my body. I use stairs and ladders
exclusively, thanks. Ouch! Your story hurts just to READ!

Indeed, the left knee has caused much pain since, including lower back,
due to the growth within the knee causing lengthening of the leg by
3/8", enough to throw out the pelvis. I count myself lucky, the same day
30 miles away someone fell half the height and was killed outright!
Larry Blanchard

In article , Larry Jaques
says...

Larry Jaques wrote:
Now where in HELL can I buy a nice, discreet Casio watch with NO bold
and colorful printing smeared all over it? I like Casio's countdown
timers and alarms far better than Timex.

I like casio too, last one lasted over 25 years, including a trip
through a roof and a fall of 18 feet, with me attached, into hard-core
with little more than a scratch on the glass and a dent in the rim

Maybe I'll write to Casio and say "_Enough_ with the text, just
give me a plain watch.

When I retired from my computer job, I tossed my wris****ch and bought a
pocket watch. Most of the time it's in the bottom of a side pocket,
since few pants come with watch pockets any more.

The one I have now is a Benrus quartz from Walmart. I think I paid
about $13 for it, and it's been running for over a year - has a day of
the month as well as the time.

BTW, Walmart has some cheaper ones, under $10. I've had two of those.
One ran fine for 3-4 years, the other crapped out in 3-4 months. That's
when I "upgraded" to the "expensive" model :-).

Dave O'Heare

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

[...]

So, what kind of watch was it? You make a brand name suggestion, was that
what you bought?

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Larry Jaques

This one never posted last month for some reason.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:03:37 GMT, the inscrutable Rick Cook
spake:

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...

There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Being leather it would put up with a fair amount of abrasion compared to the
typical cotton apron... and gain character with use!

Leather is better for a shop apron -- but that much better?

This one is no status symbol, but it works just great and is
a damn sight cheaper. I'm happy with my 91% cheaper HF apron.
Avoid their fire-retardant canvas apron, though. I pulled one out of
its bag last week and nearly went into respiratory arrest from the
really HEAVY chemical smell. Whew!

At $85, you're likely paying for "gilded" LN logo stitching, a bit
better quality leather, and probably a more comfy apron with the
cross-hung style. But at 10x the price? Pass. (Though it is purty.)

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Pat Barber

R O L E X ....

Dave O'Heare wrote:

So, what kind of watch was it? You make a brand name suggestion, was that
what you bought?

Morris Dovey

Dave O'Heare wrote:

So, what kind of watch was it? You make a brand name
suggestion, was that what you bought?

Yes - it's a plain Rolex from the days when the company built
watches accurate enough that they could be used for navigation.
The case, stem and band are plain old stainless steel. And even
though it doesn't understand Daylight Savings Time or time zones,
it hasn't missed a tick (5.00000/sec) for over forty years.

That's better than any other machine I've ever owned.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html
George

Dave O'Heare wrote:

So, what kind of watch was it? You make a brand name
suggestion, was that what you bought?

Yes - it's a plain Rolex from the days when the company built
watches accurate enough that they could be used for navigation.
The case, stem and band are plain old stainless steel. And even
though it doesn't understand Daylight Savings Time or time zones,
it hasn't missed a tick (5.00000/sec) for over forty years.

That's better than any other machine I've ever owned.

Yet the buck three eighty quartz jobs keep as accurate time, if not better,
and you can take 'em off at night without sacrificing accuracy. Oh yes,
and pitch them if the crystal scratches rather than pay 180 bucks for a
replacement.

Robert Bonomi

Dave O'Heare wrote:

So, what kind of watch was it? You make a brand name
suggestion, was that what you bought?

Yes - it's a plain Rolex from the days when the company built
watches accurate enough that they could be used for navigation.
The case, stem and band are plain old stainless steel. And even
though it doesn't understand Daylight Savings Time or time zones,
it hasn't missed a tick (5.00000/sec) for over forty years.

That's better than any other machine I've ever owned.

Yet the buck three eighty quartz jobs keep as accurate time, if not better,

No, they do _not_.

A "good" digital will have a claimed error of less than 10 seconds per day.
If you're lucky, for a specific watch, it will be under 3 sec/day.
Budget brands claim 30 seconds/day. The _really_ cheap ones don't make *any*
accuracy claims whatsoever. And keep significantly "different time" depending
on the temperature.

Furthermore, I have _yet_ to see a sub-thousand-dollar quartz watch that
can be 'adjusted' for minimum error.

A reasonable quality mainspring-based watch -- e.g. Seiko, Benrus -- is
capable of accuracy that is orders of magnitude better. Mostly because
it *can* be adjusted (the technal term is "regulated"). The trick lies
*entirely* in finding a good watchmaker; one who has the proper tooling.
I have mainspring wris****ches that keep time accurate to a fraction of a
second *per*week*. If the error rate gets to around 30 seconds _per_month_,
it goes back to the watchmaker for tweaking. Typically, every 5 years or so.

Today's Rolex's *are* grossly over-priced -- they're a status symbol more
than anything else.

Back in the post-WWII days, and up into the 1960s, they sold mostly "working"
watches, with a small "showpiece" line. The 'working' watches were not
inexpensive, by any means, _but_ if you wanted a *durable*, *reliable*,
timepiece that would survive hostile conditions, Rolex was _the_ choice.
You bought a Rolex if you wanted a watch that you _knew_ would keep running
for 20 years or more -- regardless of what kind of environment it was
subjected to. One could get something "adequate" for 1/4 the money, and
haveto replace it every couple of years or so -- in a 'hostile' environment,
that is. Factoring in longevity, Rolex "Oyster" was a bargain at the
price.

George

Dave O'Heare wrote:

[...]

I'm sure you believe what you're saying, but, the "wrist chronometers" were
regulated for the average of three axes, and too long in any one reduced the
accuracy. They even included directions for regulation by placement in the
owner's manual. A true chronometer was regulated for one position only,
which made a great accuracy possible, but also made it a pampered, shock
isolated charge for a junior officer, who kept a log of errors to estimate
inaccuracy when a time check was not available.

My 19.95 Timex is still doing 1 second/day as it nears the end of its
battery life at four years old. The Rolex (O-P) did the same for about two
years at a time before it had to go in for regulation and cleaning. As I
never had anyone who did the job - authorized only - guarantee accuracy
after the fact, I wouldn't know about your technician. Once it stunk, and
went back to the same place, there being only one available, and still stunk
when it came back. Had to wait to get back to the States and pay again.

The last years have been a series of quartz types, disposable, accurate,
though plebian.

Oh yes, time was very important to me and my job, so accuracy was verified
prior to every mission. I even check in retirement, out of habit.

Morris Dovey

I didn't really mean to stir up a chronometer debate. Most of us
never need that kind of accuracy, tho I'll admit that it has been
a convenience to not need to worry about my wrist time wandering
from what the radio and TV gives.

What I have liked is that the darned thing has taken a beating -
for a lot of years - and kept on working really well. It isn't a
piece of "foo-foo" jewelery, it's a dependable machine, an
anachronism almost, from the time before all things became
disposable. It's so not "foo-foo" that I have another (not Rolex)
watch that I wear for dress occasions (except that the battery
for that watch is dead, again.)

My point was - and is - that if you happen to be hard on watches,
an old plain vanilla stainless steel Rolex may be a worthwhile
alternative to a succession of disposables.

I wish I could find a sander that'd hold up so well.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html
Robert Bonomi

Dave O'Heare wrote:

[...]

I'm speaking from direct personal experience, over a span of more than 30
years, with 'quality' manufacturer, moderately priced (i.e. retail-priced
in the $50-125 range) "wris****ches" -- *NOT* the high-priced (and mis-named)
'chronometer' types.

My 19.95 Timex is still doing 1 second/day as it nears the end of its
battery life at four years old.

Congrats! You're one of the lucky ones who got a watch where the crystal
is close to the middle of the 'acceptable' range.

The Rolex (O-P) did the same for about two
years at a time before it had to go in for regulation and cleaning. As I
never had anyone who did the job - authorized only - guarantee accuracy
after the fact, I wouldn't know about your technician.

The jewelers (plural, in several states) I've used didn't "guarantee"
accuracy, either. They merely *delivered* it. grin It did help
_considerably_ that I could tell them fairly precisely how much it gained/lost
per period. e.g. I'd go in saying "it's running about 8-1/2 seconds/week
fast", and I'd get it back running 8+ seconds/week slower.

With a 'new' watch, it's typically taken me 4-6 adjustments, over a period
of several months, to get it fined down to the 'seconds/month' accuracy.

My 2nd watch, a mail-order $50 Seiko (in the early 1970s) came out of the
factory running 87(!!) seconds/day fast. 3 trips through the local
quality watchmaker/jeweler shop later, and it was approx. 1/2 sec/week.

I was/am involved in SWL as a hobby, so I would check against the broadcast
NBS/NIST time reference on WWV. This gave me 'interval' accuracy in the
sub-millisecond range, although "absolute" time had an offset in the tens
of milliseconds.

Joe_Stein

Some of you guys might want to check this out...

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...3&LARGEVIEW=ON

This shows a nice looking leather shop apron with flaps over the pockets
for about $50.

Happy Woodworking!
Joe