Never Enough Money

Default Shop Apron

There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

John Grossbohlin

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Being leather it would put up with a fair amount of abrasion compared to the
typical cotton apron... and gain character with use!

John

Rick Cook

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...

There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Being leather it would put up with a fair amount of abrasion compared to the
typical cotton apron... and gain character with use!

John

Leather is better for a shop apron -- but that much better?

--RC
TeamCasa

I like mine. However, I do metalwork as well as making shavings!

Dave

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

http://www.usenet.com
John Grossbohlin

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...
John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...

There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Being leather it would put up with a fair amount of abrasion compared to
the typical cotton apron... and gain character with use!

John

Leather is better for a shop apron -- but that much better?

Well, I guess you could put it in perspective by comparing a Stanley No 4 to
an L-N No 4... yeah my tuned up Stanley No 4 (read cotton apron) works
pretty well but my L-N No 4 (read leather apron) is noticeably nicer to use.
;-)

John

Edwin Pawlowski

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Nice. Leather is costly.

I'd consider this one for $25, but it is shorter
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43413,45989

But I bought this one for $18 Easily fit my generously shaped (but still
sexy) abdomen.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43413,45989

Leon

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...

Being leather it would put up with a fair amount of abrasion compared to
the typical cotton apron... and gain character with use!

John

Leather is better for a shop apron -- but that much better?

NO. You can get a leather apron at Grizzly.com for $37.95.

Leon

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Save your money and buy it here for less than half that price.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9123

leonard

I like the one my wife made, it's kevlar with some type of soft coating
that is light seems to be able to take the shop.She's a rocket scientist so
who knows were she got the materials.

len

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:02:05 GMT, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Being leather it would put up with a fair amount of abrasion compared to the
typical cotton apron... and gain character with use!

John

Agreed. But my $25 leather apron from Woodworker's Supply seems to fit
the bill without the cache associated with a Lie Nielson status symbol

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=42028

You want flaps, they'll cost $25 mo
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=137-183

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:30:56 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Nice. Leather is costly.

I'd consider this one for $25, but it is shorter
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43413,45989

But I bought this one for $18 Easily fit my generously shaped (but still
sexy) abdomen.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43413,45989

The Lie-Nielson (and the WWS version I referenced earlier) have the 'X"
strap in back -- I really like that feature, beats having a strap around
the neck.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Rosalind

On 23 Feb 2005 18:12:06 -0800, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

Why not check this Ebay store?

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...rid=ehwa_apron

There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Nate Perkins

"Never Enough Money" wrote in
ups.com:

There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Wow, pretty pricey. I know some carvers like leather (for the protection),
but I'm not sure why leather would be desirable for the rest of us.

Here's the one I use, and I love it.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/83490.asp
Rick Cook

leonard wrote:
I like the one my wife made, it's kevlar with some type of soft coating
that is light seems to be able to take the shop.She's a rocket scientist so
who knows were she got the materials.

len

Len, never ask questions you don't want to know the answer to.

Seriously, when I want an apron my wife whips one up for me, to my design.

There are certain advantages to this marriage thing.

--RC
B a r r y

Never Enough Money wrote:
There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

It is leather, and it does say "Lie Nielsen" on it. G

Seriously, I use a Bucket Boss apron that collects enough dust and
shavings in the pockets to fill a guinea pig cage. The upside is that I
almost like the pocket layout, and I can toss it in the washer. I've
also used a Duluth "fire hose" apron, which I found too hot,
restrictive, and heavy.

To me, the LN apron looks hot to wear, but it looks like it would work OK.

The perfect shop apron for me is not yet out there!

Barry

B a r r y

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I'd consider this one for $25, but it is shorter
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43413,45989

But I bought this one for $18 Easily fit my generously shaped (but still
sexy) abdomen.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43413,45989

Here's the Bucket Boss:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/welcome.pl?ref=froogle+page=/a/ab/boss/bo83200.htm

Barry
Joe C.

Home made (or made by a friend) is the way to go. I have a leather worker
friend who made one for me in exchange for some really basic woodworking.
Total value of the exchange was about $10.

"leonard" wrote in message
I like the one my wife made, it's kevlar with some type of soft

coating
that is light seems to be able to take the shop.She's a rocket scientist

so
who knows were she got the materials.

len

Joe Wells

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:12:06 -0800, Never Enough Money wrote:

There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Status symbol, feh. If you aren't wearing this apron, you aren't wearing
the right apron: http://owwm.com/Gear/Aprons.asp . Now *that's* a status
symbol.

And to further shill for OWWM, go through owwm.com when ordering from
Amazon. It won't change the price that you pay, but they get a commission:
http://owwm.com/Books/Specials.asp

--
Joe Wells

Never Enough Money

Good replies and good alternatives, folks. Maybe I'll just continue to
use my Carhart overalls for now.

http://usa.carhartt.com/products/loa...ype&cat=r&lot=

Robatoy

In article . com,
"Never Enough Money" wrote:

There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Leather aprons can be a man's best friend...not to mention Jim & Twins'
best friend as well.
I had a pilot tip come off a single flute plunge routerbit once...it
didn't hit me, but it left a nice dented mark on a metal tool box.
I did walk kinda crosslegged the rest of day thinking of what could have
happened.
Now, when I use one of these http://tinyurl.com/3wh3c big router bits, I
can only shudder to think what could happen if I did NOT wear a leather
apron.
I bought mine at a woodshow..around 40 dollars IIRC. Pretty cheap peace
of mind. I'd buy a kevlar version if such thing was to be had for a
reasonable amount of money.

0¿0

Rob

Jeff P.

Ahh, well...I don't think I'd ever live it down if someone saw me wearing
one of those flowered aprons.

--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

*What was the best thing before sliced bread?
*How do they get a deer to cross at the yellow road sign?
*Why is there an expiration on sour cream? It's already sour isn't it?
*Why do kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

wrote:

Why not check this Ebay store?

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...rid=ehwa_apron

There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Lawrence Wasserman

In article . com,
Never Enough Money wrote:
There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

10 is about twice what I'd be willing to spend on a shop apron.
~

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Nate Perkins
wrote:

but I'm not sure why leather would be desirable for the rest of us.

Heavy and soft, so it drapes well. A "flappy" apron is a horrible
thing.

A very cheap leather apron is a welder's apron in pale grey chrome
leather (jackets too). They're hideous leather, but they are very
cheap.

My "good" apron is £20 ($40) of lovely soft suede bought at a
re-enactor fair and an evening's work on trimming it with pockets and
strings. Shame to wear it in the workshop really, but it's a great
"shopkeeper" apron on craft stalls.
--
Smert' spamionam
Olebiker

I thought about getting some overalls for woodworking. One of my
daughters told me that I didn't have enough "cool points" built up to
allow the wearing of overalls. She says I use up all my points wearing
lycra shorts when I ride my bicycle.

Dick Durbin

Never Enough Money

Nice shop! I am so jealous.

What's the thing coming out of the ceiling above your router table? A
sky light?

Good idea on the outfeed "table" for your table saw.

Liked the wall shelves, too.

Jeff P. wrote:
[snip
Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

[snip]

mp

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

You can get leather aprons for one third to half amount. Check out Lee
Valley or other similar retailers. If you can find a welding supplies store
locally they'll probably carry them too.

B a r r y

Jeff P. wrote:
Ahh, well...I don't think I'd ever live it down if someone saw me wearing
one of those flowered aprons.

Thanks for the visual...

Barry

Jeff P.

If you mean the white tube that's the PVC line from my DC to the other side
of the room. It runs over the suspended ceiling and down the opposite wall.

Thanks much for the nice comments!

--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

*What was the best thing before sliced bread?
*How do they get a deer to cross at the yellow road sign?
*Why is there an expiration on sour cream? It's already sour isn't it?
*Why do kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nice shop! I am so jealous.

What's the thing coming out of the ceiling above your router table? A
sky light?

Good idea on the outfeed "table" for your table saw.

Liked the wall shelves, too.

Jeff P. wrote:
[snip
Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

[snip]

Never Enough Money

No. I meand the thing with the blue bottom in image 5 (of 5).

Did someone say leather apron? Here's mine, I challenge you to beat the
price!

igor

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:34:14 -0500, "leonard"
wrote:

I like the one my wife made, it's kevlar with some type of soft coating
that is light seems to be able to take the shop.She's a rocket scientist so
who knows were she got the materials.

len

That is one of the most amusing (in a good way) anecdotes I've ever read.
On a number of levels. Thanks. -- Igor
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Joe Wells
wrote:

Status symbol, feh.

If you just want an apron as a status symbol, try this
http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masoni...t_ringling.htm

(Interesting little story actually)

Badger

Andy Dingley wrote:
If you just want an apron as a status symbol, try this
http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masoni...t_ringling.htm

(Interesting little story actually)

Hummm, got me dads old Rose Croix pinny locked away, it cost him £600
back in the 80s, he bought it just before they decided to wear the sash
only due to the cost of the aprons (minimum £250 due to the amount of
hand stitching), his was done with gold, rather than gold coloured
thread....Always wanted the best me dad GRHS.

Niel.

Never Enough Money

If you are referring to the LN leather apron, they say it has an
"inside" pocket.

Joe_Stein

I bought my denim/cotton apron at Anderson's general store in Lima,
Ohio. Nice store...you can buy work clothes, grass seed, snowthrowers,
tools, hardware and even alcoholic beverages. SWMBO's brother runs a
cabinet shop. He uses a leather apron. My bet is he didn't buy it from
LN at $85. I like mine, but I only use about half the time anyway.
Cheers.
Joe

Never Enough Money wrote:
There are lot of aprons to choose from -- $10 to $85.

So is the Lie-Nielsen ($85) just a status symbol or is it worth $85?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=APR

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:22:13 -0600, the inscrutable "Jeff P."
spake:

Well, it's nice and all but it doesn't have a pocket for a shop pencil.

REAL masons jam it into their pec.

---
- Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
http://diversify.com Web Applications
njf>badger

Jeff P. wrote:
Well, it's nice and all but it doesn't have a pocket for a shop pencil.

How'd you know, mine has a hidden pocket in the back for my polos....