Will

Thought of this while cooking breakfast. Note his policy. He only posts
links to ISO's if allowed.

http://www.linuxiso.org/

Used it a few times.

Highly recommend the use of Bittorent to download ISO images. Just leave
it running for a few hours after you are finished. Give other people a
chance to share your bandwidth since you shared someone else's bandwidth.

http://bittorrent.com/

Works great under Linux - haven't tried the Windows version. I think it
requires the Python language BTW -- at least it does on Linux.

Mike Marlow wrote:
Where are you guys getting Linux from? As well, any associated applications
such as Open Office or Star Office or whatever is commonly used today?

I've got a machine that has been just sitting around and not even on the
network for a while and I might just put it on and load it up. It's been so
long since I've looked at the Linux world that I don't even know what
everyone uses these days. Redhat? Purplecoat?

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:07:48 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

Where are you guys getting Linux from? As well, any associated
applications such as Open Office or Star Office or whatever is commonly
used today?

I've got a machine that has been just sitting around and not even on the
network for a while and I might just put it on and load it up. It's been
so long since I've looked at the Linux world that I don't even know what
everyone uses these days. Redhat? Purplecoat?

I've been using Fedora (RedHat). You can download it at:

http://fedora.redhat.com/

It's a four CD distribution and includes a ton of apps such as OpenOffice.

- Doug

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:07:48 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:
Where are you guys getting Linux from? As well, any associated applications
such as Open Office or Star Office or whatever is commonly used today?

I've got a machine that has been just sitting around and not even on the
network for a while and I might just put it on and load it up. It's been so
long since I've looked at the Linux world that I don't even know what
everyone uses these days. Redhat? Purplecoat?

I'd download a Knoppix live CD, gets you a bootable, runnable Linux
install, and if you have hardware incompatibilities, take the CD out
and you're back to where you were. Good way to try it out, test a
system for compatibility, and also a great way to fix a b0rken Windows
installation if you're ambitious.

knoppix.org is where I'd expect to get it. openoffice.org for the obvious,
and so on. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions, my
address does work.

Dave Hinz
Mike Marlow

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
I've got a machine that has been just sitting around and not even on the
network for a while and I might just put it on and load it up. It's

been so
long since I've looked at the Linux world that I don't even know what
everyone uses these days. Redhat? Purplecoat?

If it's an old slow machine, most folks recommend Vector Linux, a
repackaged "friendlier" Slackware.

I haven't tried it yet, but intend to. I installed the latest Mandrake
on my old 233mhz Pentium, and it runs like molasses pours.

I did use Slackware in the past, but I was a professional programmer for
45 years or so. And I still did a fair amount of head scratching (and
shaking) before I got it to work.

Thanks Larry and everyone else that replied. I was a Unix analyst for a lot
of years, a long time ago and always loved the environment, but for the same
reasons that I loved it, I'm somewhat reluctant to dabble with Linux now. I
just don't really care, or have the time to devote to messing with a machine
all of the time. I'm hearing that the Linux environment is not much better
than any of the Unix environments were 10 years ago - driver issues and all
the fun of searching around, finding them, debugging them, etc., much
smaller list of available applications, patch issues that rival Microsoft,
etc. It may well be a more secure environment, but I'm not sure I'm hearing
that Linux has really made it yet as a full featured environment.
--

-Mike-

Will

Mike Marlow wrote:
[...]

The last few versions of Slackware don't seem to have that issue.
Version 7 was a little frustrating.

The current version - 10.1 seems to slick as a gooses' ...

Older machines can often be easier -- since the drivers are now well
understood. Even the AMD64 based server was not that bad though. Linux
on the AMD64 was a lot simpler than Windows Server 2003 (64 bit). It
runs Linux all the time. Easier install, fewer hassles.

Been in the tech business quite a while. Linux seems to be just fine
now. Five years ago Linux was pretty flaky. I am still more used to
Mainframe systems and their Multi-user OS than these new fangled PC's.

Each to their own.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Mike Marlow

"Will" wrote in message

The last few versions of Slackware don't seem to have that issue.
Version 7 was a little frustrating.

The current version - 10.1 seems to slick as a gooses' ...

Older machines can often be easier -- since the drivers are now well
understood. Even the AMD64 based server was not that bad though. Linux
on the AMD64 was a lot simpler than Windows Server 2003 (64 bit). It
runs Linux all the time. Easier install, fewer hassles.

Been in the tech business quite a while. Linux seems to be just fine
now. Five years ago Linux was pretty flaky. I am still more used to
Mainframe systems and their Multi-user OS than these new fangled PC's.

Each to their own.

I know I'll regret this decision, but maybe I'll go ahead and take a look at
Slackware. I just know what will happen once I sit down and start screwing
with something like this...

--

-Mike-

Will

Mike:

Actually I think you will enjoy it thoroughly. If you plunge in then
welcome to the club. :-))

But I know what you mean. I have recompiled and tweaked the kernel for
the heck of it more than once... Probably a few hundred times actually...

If you like fooling with databases you can get Interbase, PostGress,
MySQL and Firebird ( http://ibphoenix.com/ ) (An interbase knockoff)

Mike Marlow wrote:

[...]

Di

"jtpr" wrote ...
So, do you teach these boys that it's OK for mommy to steal? Do you
steal the clothes you put on their back and the food you fill their
bellies with? Why is it different with software?

If you're going to whine about your situation, look at your ethics
first.

She's psycho. People in other groups have been trying to encourage her to
get help.

J. Clarke

jaime wrote:

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:45:38 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

There are more than a few software people inhabiting this virtual space.
Hence, we often feel it is our livelihood being threatened.

Given the low cost and/or free software made available....

Patriarch

I can understand how you feel but there are many people out there who
cannot afford the high costs of many of these software programs.

Uh, what "low cost and/or free software" has "high costs"?

Bill Gates has made *billions* off of people for software it probably
cost him less to manufacture then what he retails it for.

Generally speaking, if one sells one's product at a price less than the cost
of manufacture, one goes broke in short order.

First, there are several free newsreaders available for Windows, including
Free Agent. Gravity is quite nice. Google "free Windows newsreader" and
you should get a number of hits. Second, this discussion started by
someone complaining of not having the 30 bucks to pay for full Agent. That
is hardly an onerous price. Third, if it's Microsoft that's bugging you,
they provide a number of ways to get their software at very good discounts
if you know the right hoops to jump through. For a thousand bucks or so
you can get _everything_ they make other than games and hardware, all with
multiple licenses. For 300 you can get ten seats of everything likely to
be useful for a small business, with three shipments of new or updated
stuff in the next year and after that for 200 a year you can continue to
get the quarterly shipments. You can get many of their developer tools for
a free download. If you're a legitimate nonprofit you can get XP for 25
bucks for the first seat and 18 for each of the next 50--more than that
contact Microsoft directly.

And if that's too much for you then there is Open Source.

**************************************
I'm *not* a bad person. I simply made the
mistake of getting involved with a *jack*ss*.
Is it a coincidence that he lives on a farm?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Sharpening responses. RW Woodturning 1 September 3rd 04 04:33 AM
Do you finish your jigs? BeerBoy Woodworking 16 November 25th 03 02:16 AM
Isn't relying of someone else's plans kinda like painting by paintby numbers? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 57 August 27th 03 04:54 PM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM