Larry Blanchard

In article ,
says...
I'm hearing that the Linux environment is not much better
than any of the Unix environments were 10 years ago - driver issues and all
the fun of searching around, finding them, debugging them, etc., much
smaller list of available applications, patch issues that rival Microsoft,
etc.

At the time I used Slackware at home, I was working on a SCADA system
that used SCO Unix and a traffic control system that used Venix (that
O/S I loved, but it died). Slackware wasn't any harder to set up and
maintain than SCO Unix, but I had to do more digging to find the
documentation I needed. And some of the "howto" docs were a little hard
to read.

I think the applications issue is less now. Linux has MSOffice
compatiblity and more than one CAD package. At least one of the
specialized model railroad (one of my hobbies) design CADs is available
for Linux.

And once you get Linux up and running, you won't have to reboot it every
time you turn around :-).