BeerBoy

Default Do you finish your jigs?

I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs. I made a panel
cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste wax on it or
something else or just leave it.

--
BeerBoy

Phisherman

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:43:08 GMT, "BeerBoy"
wrote:

I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs. I made a panel
cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste wax on it or
something else or just leave it.

I ally finishes to jigs I use for bending and laminated glue-ups. The
finish prevents glue from sticking to the jigs. Otherwise, I don't
waste any finish.
Swingman

Jigs are great for practice, testing, and using that last bit of finish left
in the can.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"BeerBoy" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs. I made a

panel
cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste wax on it or
something else or just leave it.

Shawn

Don't put on anything that you wouldn't want to get on any/all of your
projects.

Shawn

Swingman wrote:

Jigs are great for practice, testing, and using that last bit of finish left
in the can.

Andy Dingley

wrote:

I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs.

I make most of mine from MDF, sometimes from ply, and I have trouble
with damp in my workshop. All of mine get a coat of wax - it's an
ugly colour that Axminster once shipped to me by mistake and I've no
other use for it anyway.

I also write on them what they are, and what size (if relevant) to
prepare the stock to before using them. Saves a lot of trouble in the
future.

Bay Area Dave

shellac. and wax the sliding parts like underside of a TS sled. My
jigs are made from poplar and ply.

dave

BeerBoy wrote:

I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs. I made a panel
cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste wax on it or
something else or just leave it.

RWM

"BeerBoy" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs. I made a

panel
cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste wax on it or
something else or just leave it.

--
BeerBoy

It seems that I always mix up more shellac that I can use project that I
mixed it for. The extra usually gets applied to jigs and such. It is a
great way to us extra shellac and it protects the jigs.

Bob McBreen

Swingman

What commonly used woodworking finish would you suggest staying away from
that I "wouldn't want to get on my projects"?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03.

Swingman wrote:

Jigs are great for practice, testing, and using that last bit of finish

left
in the can.

Howard Ruttan

"BeerBoy" wrote...
I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs. I made a

panel
cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste wax on it or
something else or just leave it.

Depends on my mood. I spray painted a couple of my router fences, poly'd my
router box making jig, but my crosscut sleds usually only get paste wax on
the bottom and the runners. However, I made a little jig for cutting narrow
pieces on the tablesaw that ended up getting French polished.

--

Cheers,
Howard

Working wood in New Jersey -
Visit me in the woodshop -
www.inthewoodshop.org

Jim K

Depends on the jig. If it's for short term or one-of use, I don't
bother. Anything I'll be using more often I do. Usually just a couple
of coats of polyurethane.

wrote:

I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs. I made a panel
cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste wax on it or
something else or just leave it.

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

BeerBoy wrote:

I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs. I made a panel
cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste wax on it or
something else or just leave it.

BLO and poly, thinned to increase penetration. Paste wax when cured.
Nothing more for the life of the tool.
Erik

Well, I've only made one so far and yes I threw some shellac
on it.
It's like my old dentist used to say - "You don't need to
floss all your teeth . . . . just the ones you want to
keep".

--
Erik "Grumpa" Ahrens
Apprentice Termite

"BeerBoy" wrote in message
| I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop
jigs. I made a panel
| cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste
wax on it or
| something else or just leave it.
|
| --
| BeerBoy

Mark

Jim K wrote:

Depends on the jig.

Yes.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

BeerBoy

Default Do you finish your jigs? (Thanks for the responses)

Thanks for all the responses and tips passed along to my question. Quite a
variation in finishes. Everything from shellac to wax to Poly.
I appreciate the advice.

"BeerBoy" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs. I made a

panel
cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste wax on it or
something else or just leave it.

--
BeerBoy

Steve James

BeerBoy wrote:

Thanks for all the responses and tips passed along to my question. Quite a
variation in finishes. Everything from shellac to wax to Poly.
I appreciate the advice.

Best argument for finishing a jig is to put a water vapor barrier on it
to minimize dimensional changes from humidity changes. Best finishes
for that purpose are shellac or solvent based polyurethane. Non
silicone containing wax on top of the finished parts of the jig that
need to slide is also a good idea.
--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net
Edwin Pawlowski

"BeerBoy" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any of you put a finish on your shop jigs. I made a

panel
cutting sled and am wondering if I should put some paste wax on it or
something else or just leave it.

Yes, (both jigs and templates) depending on what I happen to be using the
next time. I'm doing some finishing. If for no other reason than to keep
them cleaner. I also mark them with their intended use and any critical
dimensions, etc.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome