Thomas Kendrick

18-guage nailers are usually referred to as brad nailers. Finish
nailers are either 16 guage or 15 guage. Finish nailers that have the
nail magazine angled away from the surface are typically 15 guage.

I have a PC BN125 brad nailer, PC DA250A 15 guage finish nailer and a
Spotnails narrow crown stapler. I use the stapler the most since the
brads and finish nails have very small heads and tend to pull through
the material.

Brad nailer - very small moulding installation and furniture assembly
while the glue dries
Finish nailer - crown moulding and door/window trim
NC stapler - door/window trim and interior paneling

What kind of project do you have in mind?

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:38:10 -0500, Keith
wrote:

Does anyone have some suggestion on what type of finishing/brad nailer you use
the most. I have a Paslode framing nailer I used in building my wood shop but
need some suggestions on what size and type finishing nailer most people use to
build small projects.
I have been looking at some 18-gauge nailers but wondered if that is going to be
to small a gauge. I have a small compressor so I can go either air or cordless.

Bill Otten

Keith.....what's it like in February already? Check yo' clock

"Keith" wrote in message
news:1105230974.977a16834f780f29d9e0df956e366a16@1 usenet...
Does anyone have some suggestion on what type of finishing/brad nailer you
use
the most. I have a Paslode framing nailer I used in building my wood shop
but
need some suggestions on what size and type finishing nailer most people
use to
build small projects.
I have been looking at some 18-gauge nailers but wondered if that is going
to be
to small a gauge. I have a small compressor so I can go either air or
cordless.

Keith

Small furniture for now. I don't have any plans for crown or door moulding now .
PC has a good deal on two guns with a compressor which sounds good. I just
wondered if the extra money for battery or other cordless guns is worth it.

wrote:

Does anyone have some suggestion on what type of finishing/brad nailer you use
the most. I have a Paslode framing nailer I used in building my wood shop but
need some suggestions on what size and type finishing nailer most people use to
build small projects.
I have been looking at some 18-gauge nailers but wondered if that is going to be
to small a gauge. I have a small compressor so I can go either air or cordless.

That's the package my wife got for me for Christmas. Beep, beep. 18ga,
16ga and a coupon for a crown stapler. The compressor is good quality
(Devilbiss) and as far as I can tell, the guns are first-rate.
However, if you already have a 'presser, you may want to one-at-a-time
it. My buddy has an 18ga brad nailer called, I think, Accuset that
will take 2 1/2" brads. Were it me, and I was buying one brad nailer,
that's the one I would buy.

As always, YMMV. Good luck.

-Phil Crow

Thomas Kendrick

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:32:47 -0500, Keith
wrote:
Small furniture for now. I don't have any plans for crown or door moulding now .
PC has a good deal on two guns with a compressor which sounds good. I just
wondered if the extra money for battery or other cordless guns is worth it.

The pneumatic combo is a good idea. Since you will likely perform
woodworking in the same place most of the time, portability not a
likely issue.
These small guns don't use much air, so get a 1/4" air hose that is
light and flexible to reduce the drag. You can use the hose that comes
with the kit to reduce the noise from the compressor by moving it
farther from your work area. The guns actually weigh very little, it's
that hose which will make it seem heavy to your wrist.

Pat Barber

You end up needing "several" guns...

(a) Finishing nailers are usually 15 guage(baseboard,molding,etc)
shoot big nails, leave big holes.

(b) brad nailers are usually 18 guage and only shoot "short" nails
like 1.25" brads... Best used for trim molding

(c) narrow crown stapler is needed for putting on 1/4" backs

(d) 16 Guage guns shoot longer & bigger nails and are often
needed for face frames, etc, etc.

wrote:

Small furniture for now. I don't have any plans for crown or door moulding now .
PC has a good deal on two guns with a compressor which sounds good. I just
wondered if the extra money for battery or other cordless guns is worth it.

don't bother with electric corded or cordless nail guns.

the paslode impulse guns are good if you really need the mobility and
don't mind the expense.

get a big air compressor if you're going to keep it in the shop all of
the time. you'll find lots of uses for it that a little one won't
serve. if you are going to use nailguns on a jobsite, and never use
any other air tools (other than an airbrush, perhaps) get a small
light one like the PC kit has.
patrick conroy

"Keith" wrote in message
news:1105309508.e0c95bb360f6a6c489a810a4b807fc9f@1 usenet...

Oops. My laptop needs to be changed it looks like.

Congrats on having the top level post for the next few weeks!

Jim McLaughlin

Please fix the date on your computer. You are sending with a February,
2005 date.

Please reset to January, 2005.

You could catch some serious static from your ISP if you keep posting with a
future date on the message time stamp.

Thank you.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key.
Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

************************************************** *************************
"Keith" wrote in message
news:1105230974.977a16834f780f29d9e0df956e366a16@1 usenet...
Does anyone have some suggestion on what type of finishing/brad nailer you

use
the most. I have a Paslode framing nailer I used in building my wood shop

but
need some suggestions on what size and type finishing nailer most people

use to
build small projects.
I have been looking at some 18-gauge nailers but wondered if that is going

to be
to small a gauge. I have a small compressor so I can go either air or

cordless.

Buck Turgidson

"Keith" wrote in message
news:1105230974.977a16834f780f29d9e0df956e366a16@1 usenet...
Does anyone have some suggestion on what type of finishing/brad nailer you

use
the most. I have a Paslode framing nailer I used in building my wood shop

but
need some suggestions on what size and type finishing nailer most people

use to
build small projects.
I have been looking at some 18-gauge nailers but wondered if that is going

to be
to small a gauge. I have a small compressor so I can go either air or

cordless.

18 gauge is ok to tack something while glue dries, but if you're doing
window/door casings, baseboards, crown molding, etc, a 15 gauge is more
appropriate.