mac davis

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:49:09 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I've gone through about four cans in the last two years. I'm almost out
again. I use that stuff on everything, and use it often.

wow.. must use it on your hair, too!! *g*

I have a bunch of chisels, lathe tools, cast iron machinery, hand planes,
vises, anvils, sundry other steel or iron tools, all in an unheated shop.
I've never bothered to mail order Boeshield or any of the other fancy
alternatives. I just keep Johnson's on everything, and reapply as needed.
For some stuff, maybe twice a year. For other stuff, maybe once a week.
It's good on the soles of my planes and my saw table for making everything
slide smoothly, as well as affording a measure of rust protection.

Then I also use it on everything I build. I used to use 0000 steel wool and
wax over poly to kill the poly-ness, and then I saw the light and started
using shellac. Now I use 0000 steel wool and wax over shellac to kill the
shellac-ness. Shellac leaves a bit of a weird surface. The ol' wax and
wool puts a perfect finishing touch on it, and affords it some miniscule
measure of moisture and wear protection.

Just now, I even used it on all the furniture in my living room. It's
commercial furniture, and I had never really cared enough to try that
before, but the results sure were good. I think I will probably do that
from now on, instead of using Pledge. Takes a bit of doing, but it looks
fantastic.

It's also useful for driving tiny brass screws into hardwoods. It works
better than beeswax. Yet another use, I wax up my trumpets from time to
time. They both have worn spots in the lacquer, and the wax helps keep
those spots from tarnishing and standing out.

So yeah, I go through a lot of Johnson's, and a lot of 00000 steel wool too.
All without using it on my hair. I keep my hair cut at 5/8" and run the
buzzy thing through it as soon as it's starting to look like I should
reacquaint myself with a comb.

I don't have that problem... my wife calls my haircut a "no hawk"..

the basic theory is that God made some really good looking heads...
but covered up the ones that didn't turn out too well with hair.. *g*

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Silvan wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

According to Johnson's it because UPS doesn't come to Canada and that the
only way they ship.

Interesting. Heck, I'll ship it USPS Parcel Post to any Canadian that
wants it. For the right price, of course... :-)

Me too, for 10% off Doug's right price.

Or for the people who want value added service, and they're willing to pay a
little extra for the best possible care, I'll also do it for 20% more than
Doug's right price. Take your pick.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Man, as soon as I can take a picture of a can I'm puting some on ebay!

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:59:03 -0700, Mark & Juanita
calmly ranted:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:36:07 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

So it's all Silvan's fault again.

It always _is_.

So you're the one I have to blame for the box with the lifetime supply of
Johnson's wax sitting in my closet. I ordered it right after reading the
thread on here over a year ago (maybe two Christmas's ago?) about how it
would no longer be available. ;-)

Jake to the rescue! I'll buy that stash from you for a whopping 12
cents on the dollar, sir, and I'll even pay half the shipping. I
like the stuff. Got my address, Mark?

-- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases

Gino

I'm going with the Briwax.
More money than Johnson's but at least it's available.
Home Hardware sells it for $20 and on sale $15 (about twice a year) But not
right now .
No anti-slip agents, Just beeswax and carnauba.
It's hard as hell, and even comes in colors.

CW

A guy I work with always says that he's not bald, he's just taller than his
hair.

"mac davis" wrote in message
the basic theory is that God made some really good looking heads...
but covered up the ones that didn't turn out too well with hair.. *g*

Mark & Juanita

wrote:

So it's all Silvan's fault again.

It always _is_.

So you're the one I have to blame for the box with the lifetime supply of
Johnson's wax sitting in my closet. I ordered it right after reading the
thread on here over a year ago (maybe two Christmas's ago?) about how it
would no longer be available. ;-)

Jake to the rescue! I'll buy that stash from you for a whopping 12
cents on the dollar, sir, and I'll even pay half the shipping. I
like the stuff. Got my address, Mark?

No, AAMOF I don't. Please follow the following steps.

1. Send me your address
2. Hold your breath
3. Wait

:-)

I'm perfectly happy with my JW stash, who knows, one of these days they
really may abandon the market -- then where will the rest of you be?

-- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases

Charles Spitzer

"CW" wrote in message
A guy I work with always says that he's not bald, he's just taller than his
hair.

ingrown hair, or does it sprout somewhere else?

"mac davis" wrote in message
the basic theory is that God made some really good looking heads...
but covered up the ones that didn't turn out too well with hair.. *g*

Larry Jaques

On 17 Dec 2004 17:41:10 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
calmly ranted:

mac davis responds:

Amongst the 70% of Walmart stock that is made in China, to the tune of $18
billion dollars annually?

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir

Winston
Churchill

70% sounds kind of low, Charlie....
I doubt if they go more than 15% domestic, as they're experts in
marketing what will sell well.. and most domestic products are not
"affordable" compared to imports..
(yep, we've priced ourselves out of the market)

I can't recall which program I heard that 70% on, but I'd guess it's fairly
accurate--the networks ain't really in love with Walmart.

"They're biased against them so it's accurate?" Oy vay! :-/

From sources I just saw by googling "walmart imports", Wally World
imports about $15B per year from China and does over $256B a year in
sales. Figuring a triple markup, that's 45 vs. 256, or 6%. Where does
that put your 70% figure (despite my wholesale vs. retail figures)?
They hire 1.2 million Americans at an average of $9.98/hr for
full-time associates.

Also, Walmart is the first company with their foot in the door and
stores in China. They're now exporting some of America's goods to
China, a Good Thing(tm).

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ets/stats.html

-- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:53:47 -0700, Mark & Juanita
calmly ranted:

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:33:46 -0800, Larry Jaques

Jake to the rescue! I'll buy that stash from you for a whopping 12
cents on the dollar, sir, and I'll even pay half the shipping. I
like the stuff. Got my address, Mark?

No, AAMOF I don't. Please follow the following steps.

1. Send me your address
2. Hold your breath
3. Wait
:-)

The adddress is on my website, I can't hold my breath that long
or I turn purple and pass out, and I'm very good at waiting. (Um,
I lied about that last one. I'm impatient as hell.)

I'm perfectly happy with my JW stash, who knows, one of these days they
really may abandon the market -- then where will the rest of you be?

In the Renaissance Wax line at Wally World, of course.

-- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases

Silvan

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Man, as soon as I can take a picture of a can I'm puting some on ebay!

BANNED IN CANADA! We only have ONE CAN LEFT! First bid $149.95, reserve
not yet met.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

mac davis wrote:

I don't have that problem... my wife calls my haircut a "no hawk"..

the basic theory is that God made some really good looking heads...
but covered up the ones that didn't turn out too well with hair.. *g*

Mine must be getting better looking every day then. Though I figured it was
just because my brain has been expanding and pushing my forehead up as I
have acquired more woodworking knowledge.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Dave Hall wrote:

Johnson's is a floor wax (says so on the can), but it is not allowed

It alludes to being a floor wax in the fine print, but it doesn't call
itself a floor wax.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

Amongst the 70% of Walmart stock that is made in China, to the tune of $18
billion dollars annually?

True, but they do have a few things actually made in the USA. I bought
SWMBO a knife sharpener that fits this bill today. I was surprised.

Of course...

some similar price, no shipping. See? Walmart DOES stock U.S. brands!

....this may be a US brand, but it ain't an American product.

MANUFACTURED IN MEXICO BY S.C. JOHNSON & SON S.A. de C.V.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

mac davis wrote:

I doubt if they go more than 15% domestic, as they're experts in
marketing what will sell well.. and most domestic products are not

They are experts. *******s. I went for batteries and a pepper mill. I
left with batteries, a pedometer, a pepper mill, a knife, and a knife
sharpener. *******s. I know how the game is played from the other side,
but it still works.

Junky old fashioned hardware stores with boxes upon boxes of things
scattered around in random disarray are easier to shop at. You ask the guy
where the left threaded blurfls are, and he shows you. You don't walk out
with a blurfl sharpener, a right handed blurfl and three pounds of blurfl
polish.

Which is why junky old fashioned hardware stores are getting outcompeted by
the BORGs.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Gino

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:37:05 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dave Hall wrote:

Johnson's is a floor wax (says so on the can), but it is not allowed

It alludes to being a floor wax in the fine print, but it doesn't call
itself a floor wax.

Briwax is used on floors as well but according to a distributor in the US it is
even more slippery than Johnson's so they don't recommend it.

mac davis

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:08:58 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

"CW" wrote in message
A guy I work with always says that he's not bald, he's just taller than his
hair.

ingrown hair, or does it sprout somewhere else?

yep.. your ears and nose.. mental floss

mac davis

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:27:50 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I don't have that problem... my wife calls my haircut a "no hawk"..

the basic theory is that God made some really good looking heads...
but covered up the ones that didn't turn out too well with hair.. *g*

Mine must be getting better looking every day then. Though I figured it was
just because my brain has been expanding and pushing my forehead up as I
have acquired more woodworking knowledge.

it might be from all that leaning into the grinding wheel.. maybe you
need a spacer like I have.. my stomach has become a curb finder.. lol

mac davis

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:44:12 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I doubt if they go more than 15% domestic, as they're experts in
marketing what will sell well.. and most domestic products are not

They are experts. *******s. I went for batteries and a pepper mill. I
left with batteries, a pedometer, a pepper mill, a knife, and a knife
sharpener. *******s. I know how the game is played from the other side,
but it still works.

Junky old fashioned hardware stores with boxes upon boxes of things
scattered around in random disarray are easier to shop at. You ask the guy
where the left threaded blurfls are, and he shows you. You don't walk out
with a blurfl sharpener, a right handed blurfl and three pounds of blurfl
polish.

Which is why junky old fashioned hardware stores are getting outcompeted by
the BORGs.

another dying breed... hardware stores..
I try really hard to buy from our local hardware store.. he's
independent, no franchise, etc..

I try to get myself to pay extra for things there, because I'm getting
personal service and knowledgeable help...
In reality, I get both of those things from orchard Hardware... so the
real reason I go to the hardware store?
The bottom line is that I'm self employed and I feel his pain.. I try
to throw a little business his way BECAUSE he's a dying breed and I
hope to slow the process a bit..
mac davis

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:53:47 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

snip
Jake to the rescue! I'll buy that stash from you for a whopping 12
cents on the dollar, sir, and I'll even pay half the shipping. I
like the stuff. Got my address, Mark?

No, AAMOF I don't. Please follow the following steps.

1. Send me your address
2. Hold your breath
3. Wait

:-)

I'm perfectly happy with my JW stash, who knows, one of these days they
really may abandon the market -- then where will the rest of you be?

bidding on your dutch auction on Ebay??
Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

because Walmart made such major brags about buying American made whenever
they could when they first moved to this area.

Yeah. "We saved 247 jobs by buying the Super Blurfl from Bitsyco
Enterprises in Bumfuktu, OK." Where are those posters now?

Seems like whenever they can is when they're in the fields looking at
produce.

A lot of the produce comes out of Latin America. Most of the house brand
food comes out of Canada. Must be NAFTA.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

subjective, reasons for prices being as high as they are--check some
history on the early Levittown houses bought by WWII, as compared to
today's "entry" level first owner homes. Under 1000 SF (some were around
800SF), compared to over 2700 SF, for a start.

Very true. My grandparents bought a little asbestos shingled two bedroom
place for $3,000 after WWII. About 800 sq. ft. sounds right. That place
is *cramped*. Raised two kids there.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

mac davis wrote:

The bottom line is that I'm self employed and I feel his pain.. I try
to throw a little business his way BECAUSE he's a dying breed and I
hope to slow the process a bit..

Yeah, me too. That's why I buy overpriced lumber there.

It would help make it easier to buy more usual hardware/tool/general purpose
items if he weren't on the far side of a bout 15,000 (more like 15)
stoplights, whereas Lowe's is only two stoplights away.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

mac davis wrote:

it might be from all that leaning into the grinding wheel.. maybe you
need a spacer like I have.. my stomach has become a curb finder.. lol

A curb finder. Now there's an image.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

David Hall wrote:

Association", it says "For additional information about floor care,
call...", but it does not say "I am a floor wax" LOL

Pro'ly so's they don't get sued, I 'magine.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On 18 Dec 2004 10:23:22 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques responds:

"They're biased against them so it's accurate?" Oy vay! :-/

Read what I wrote. IIRC, you thought it was higher. I said it was unlikely to
be because the media company didn't much like Walmart. It might be lower.
Probably isn't.

From sources I just saw by googling "walmart imports", Wally World
imports about $15B per year from China and does over $256B a year in
sales. Figuring a triple markup, that's 45 vs. 256, or 6%. Where does
that put your 70% figure (despite my wholesale vs. retail figures)?
They hire 1.2 million Americans at an average of $9.98/hr for
full-time associates.

They are not MY figures Larry.

Sorry, how about "the figure you quoted"?

Where the HELL do you find the average Walmart associate making almost ten
bucks an hour? More like six around here.

Right there on the link I (thoughtfully) provided (so I wouldn't have
to answer that question.) wink BTW, I thought that ws high, too,
but they include everyone from the CEO on down as an "associate." Talk
about skewing the stats... g

Here it comes again:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ets/stats.html

Also, Walmart is the first company with their foot in the door and
stores in China. They're now exporting some of America's goods to
China, a Good Thing(tm).

Maybe. I'd be curious to see percentages here, too.

They're hard to find, aren't they? Maybe Walmart will have
an answer for me. I'll email a query to 'em today then check
out their answers online.

I think maybe this particular topic is too close to the
heart, like the gun control arguments. Despite finding
the facts, the controllers won't disseminate their findings
when they find out it goes against their beliefs. Y'know,
a "Don't confuse my perfectly good fantasy with facts." kind
of thing. Idealism has its costs.

So, folks, who has the _real_ uptime lowdown on these Wally
World guys?

Calling All Wreckers: Cites, please.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

Where the HELL do you find the average Walmart associate making almost ten
bucks an hour? More like six around here.

Probably not. Do you know anyone who works at Wally World? People
especially of the feminine persuasion got a huge raise this year. On the
order of $2.50 an hour in some cases. I think they're starting at $7 or $8
for new hires now.

Apparently they didn't like all the bad press about being the world's
largest employer and paying the lowest wages with the worst benefits
package of all major American companies, or the hints of a class action
lawsuit on behalf of all the people of the feminine persuasion who weren't
getting the extra penis premium on their checks.

They hired some independent research firm to send people into the stores and
work all the jobs from the ground up to the home office, then report on
what the job entailed, and what it was worth, adjusted broadly by locality.
Then they scaled up wages based on the difference between what people were
actually making, and what the results of this study determined they should
be making, and gave people the difference in one big hunk of a raise.

I'm just as shocked as you that they actually did something about it, but
they did. I certainly can't complain. Wal-Mart replaced my 20 year old
car at long last. They finally put SWMBO into a job she likes, after 13
years of getting jerked around, and that makes her less bitchy and more
content, so it's win-win all around, really. From the perspective of
working there anyway, which says nothing about the broader
sociopoliticoeconomic issues in play.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
sandman

"mac davis" wrote in message
the basic theory is that God made some really good looking heads...
but covered up the ones that didn't turn out too well with hair.. *g*

My bald spot is just a solar panel for a sex machine.

Silvan

I've lost track of who it was with the stash of 12 cans.

I just thought he'd find it funny that I moved some stuff off a shelf today,
and found three cans I had forgotten about. I stocked up too.

Time to rotate. I'll move my old finish can to machine duty, and use the
new one for finishing.

Found a few tiny hints of rust on my TS table today, even though I just
waxed it a few days ago. Not good. Boo hiss. Waxed the hell out of it
again. I can't see my face in it, but if I get at just the right angle, I
can see reflections of everything that's behind it with perfect clarity. I
hope to keep it that way. Shiny good. Rusty bad. Rusty saw table makes
Silvan a saaaaaaaaaad Silvan.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

RampRat

All I was trying to do is to was show everyone where they could buy
some paste wax. 80 posts later...
I understand Johnson's Paste Wax is a hot topic among WW'ers but
geesh...

RampRat wrote:
I have read on some posts on how hard it's getting to find some.
I read on another post that Lowes sells it still. I found it at

Amazon
for $20.16/3pk. also SC Johnson's website is selling it for

$33.06/6pk.
Just wanted to pass this info along. A 6 pack my be excessive but I
figure i'll have some to pass on to my grandchildren years down the
road. The links are below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846
http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

Rick

Points not yet mentioned:

In a time long, long ago, Johnson's paste wax was advertised for
floors. Today, and for decades, you will have seen advertisements for
floors that never need waxing. Wonder why there isn't a market for the
wax.

There's no magic in Johnson's wax. Nothing more than a mixure of
waxes, e.g. bees and carnuba in paint thinner. FWW has published
formulas.

Just my two cents.

ray

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:34:27 -0500, Silvan wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

According to Johnson's it because UPS doesn't come to Canada and that the
only way they ship.

Interesting. Heck, I'll ship it USPS Parcel Post to any Canadian that
wants it. For the right price, of course... :-)

Me too, for 10% off Doug's right price.

Hah. I'll do it for _15_ percent more than Doug's price. So there.

mac davis

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:30:24 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

mac davis wrote:

The bottom line is that I'm self employed and I feel his pain.. I try
to throw a little business his way BECAUSE he's a dying breed and I
hope to slow the process a bit..

Yeah, me too. That's why I buy overpriced lumber there.

It would help make it easier to buy more usual hardware/tool/general purpose
items if he weren't on the far side of a bout 15,000 (more like 15)
stoplights, whereas Lowe's is only two stoplights away.

In my case, he was across the street from my office... hard to
ignore..

Silvan

Australopithecus scobis wrote:

wax is free of silicone oil. I'd bet that they all have it. (Northern
Labs' (makers of Kit) response pointed out that they make Goddard's
Cabinet Makers Paste Wax, US$9.99/4.5oz tin, if anyone is interested.)

Oh, and on that whole discontinued wax thread from a bit ago, now that I'm
Mr. Mom, and have done some, yerk, shopping, hork, I can report that
Wal-Mart does have this stuff on the chemicals isle in high quanties.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

What paste wax for table saw top? Billy Smith Woodworking 35 October 17th 04 05:55 PM
Table Saw Magic - anyone built any of the jigs? john moorhead Woodworking 25 February 18th 04 12:20 PM
Bees wax paste Kip055 Woodturning 3 January 28th 04 12:25 AM
Use paste wax (only) on fir floor? GotOuttaIdaho Home Repair 9 January 25th 04 07:05 PM