DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Johnson's Paste Wax (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/81893-johnsons-paste-wax.html)

RampRat December 16th 04 04:36 PM

Johnson's Paste Wax

I have read on some posts on how hard it's getting to find some.
I read on another post that Lowes sells it still. I found it at Amazon
for $20.16/3pk. also SC Johnson's website is selling it for $33.06/6pk.
Just wanted to pass this info along. A 6 pack my be excessive but I
figure i'll have some to pass on to my grandchildren years down the
road. The links are below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846
http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

Rick

Rick Cox December 16th 04 05:46 PM

I actually have a can of Johnsons that I took out of my grandfathers shop.
The can appears to be built to survive the cold war and must be about 50
years old.

ups.com...

Lawrence L'Hote December 16th 04 06:18 PM

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article ,

Johnson's can be found, if only at their website. But I was still able
to buy Trewax at a grocery store last time I needed some. I think it
works better, but even if not it's "as good as" and easier to find.

There were sure piles of the Johnson's wax at Ft. Leonard Wood PX back when
I took basic('66)....I just bet there are a few cans there yet.

Larry(SP4-E4)

MikeG December 16th 04 06:41 PM

In article . com,
says...
I have read on some posts on how hard it's getting to find some.
I read on another post that Lowes sells it still. I found it at Amazon
for $20.16/3pk. also SC Johnson's website is selling it for $33.06/6pk.
Just wanted to pass this info along. A 6 pack my be excessive but I
figure i'll have some to pass on to my grandchildren years down the
road. The links are below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846
http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

Rick

I've been reading posts about Johnson's paste wax being discontinued for
three years now. Evidently no one at Lowe's has seen them yet.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

Dave in Fairfax December 16th 04 06:52 PM

MikeG wrote:
I've been reading posts about Johnson's paste wax being discontinued for
three years now. Evidently no one at Lowe's has seen them yet.

I thought that it was discontinued in the GWN but still on sale
down here.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

patrick conroy December 16th 04 06:54 PM

"RampRat" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have read on some posts on how hard it's getting to find some.
I read on another post that Lowes sells it still. I found it at Amazon

Cool. Thx.

The half-dozen Ace Hardware stores I pop into in the area all stock it.

Gino December 16th 04 07:02 PM

On 16 Dec 2004 08:36:17 -0800, "RampRat" wrote:

I have read on some posts on how hard it's getting to find some.
I read on another post that Lowes sells it still. I found it at Amazon
for $20.16/3pk. also SC Johnson's website is selling it for $33.06/6pk.
Just wanted to pass this info along. A 6 pack my be excessive but I
figure i'll have some to pass on to my grandchildren years down the
road. The links are below.

I have a can of Briwax that came from my grandfather.:)

Richard Cline December 16th 04 07:09 PM

In article , Larry Blanchard
wrote:

There are a lot of automotive waxes that should be as good. Just avoid
the silicone based waxes.

Dick

In article ,
says...

Gino December 16th 04 07:31 PM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:54:11 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

"RampRat" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have read on some posts on how hard it's getting to find some.
I read on another post that Lowes sells it still. I found it at Amazon

Cool. Thx.

The half-dozen Ace Hardware stores I pop into in the area all stock it.

Anyone know of a supplier in Canada.

J T December 16th 04 08:52 PM

Thu, Dec 16, 2004, 8:36am (EST-3) (RampRat)
snip A 6 pack my be excessive snip

MAY be excessive? I've got a can I bought years back, in my local
grocery (that still carries it, as far as I know), plus a full can I
bought at a flea market for $1. I'm pretty generous with it when I use
it, but the first can isn't even half gone. Get some buddies to chip in
with you, get the 6 pack, and just get 1-2 cans each. Or, just buy the
6 pack, then SELL some to your buddies. Higher price to your enemies.
LOL

JOAT
Ask any question you please of the Gods. They do not have to answer.
- Ko'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, II xvi

Jim Weisgram December 16th 04 11:57 PM

wrote:

I have read on some posts on how hard it's getting to find some.
I read on another post that Lowes sells it still. I found it at Amazon
for $20.16/3pk. also SC Johnson's website is selling it for $33.06/6pk.
Just wanted to pass this info along. A 6 pack my be excessive but I
figure i'll have some to pass on to my grandchildren years down the
road. The links are below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846
http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

Rick

Ah, yes, the Johnson's Paste Wax myth. Yes, you can still get it. I
believe it is no longer marketed in Canada, and that is the source of
the posts.

Of course, if they no longer sell it in Canada, no telling when and if
they will pull it from the US market as well.

Gino December 17th 04 12:49 AM

wrote:

I have read on some posts on how hard it's getting to find some.
I read on another post that Lowes sells it still. I found it at Amazon
for $20.16/3pk. also SC Johnson's website is selling it for $33.06/6pk.
Just wanted to pass this info along. A 6 pack my be excessive but I
figure i'll have some to pass on to my grandchildren years down the
road. The links are below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846
http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

Rick

Ah, yes, the Johnson's Paste Wax myth. Yes, you can still get it. I
believe it is no longer marketed in Canada, and that is the source of
the posts.

Of course, if they no longer sell it in Canada, no telling when and if
they will pull it from the US market as well.

They won't even ship to Canada.
US addresses only.

I would love a couple cans to finish my MDF work benches.
It's so cheap.
Lee Valley sells a paste wax product but it's a bit pricy.
Is it the same as Johnson's?
I have an old can of Briwax clear, full, I wonder if it would be the way to go.
Stinks like hell!

Minwax make a paste wax but I can't find out if it contains sillycones or not.

Silvan December 17th 04 01:28 AM

J T wrote:

Thu, Dec 16, 2004, 8:36am (EST-3) (RampRat)
snip A 6 pack my be excessive snip

MAY be excessive? I've got a can I bought years back, in my local
grocery (that still carries it, as far as I know), plus a full can I
bought at a flea market for $1. I'm pretty generous with it when I use
it, but the first can isn't even half gone. Get some buddies to chip i

I've gone through about four cans in the last two years. I'm almost out
again. I use that stuff on everything, and use it often.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Doug Miller December 17th 04 02:56 AM

In article , Gino wrote:

They won't even ship to Canada.
US addresses only.

Anybody know whether that's due to a business decision, or to U.S. export
regulations, or Canadian import regulations?

Minwax make a paste wax but I can't find out if it contains sillycones or not.

According to Minwax, their "Paste Finishing Wax" is silicone-free. I phoned
them and asked. They also sent a copy of the MSDS, and it makes no mention of
silicone.

--
Regards,

Gino December 17th 04 02:57 AM

On 17 Dec 2004 01:45:56 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Gino SameOld asks:

Minwax make a paste wax but I can't find out if it contains sillycones or
not.

Similar to Johnson's, not a cone in sight, silly or otherwise.

Charlie have you ever used the Briwax, it stinks to high heaven but boy does it
dry HARD.
You really need the elbow grease to buff it out.
The only can I've got or used is at least 40 years old.
It's been laying around here for years and I just opened it a month or two ago.

I looked up their website and it looks to be good stuff.

Gino December 17th 04 03:03 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 02:56:07 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , Gino wrote:

They won't even ship to Canada.
US addresses only.

Anybody know whether that's due to a business decision, or to U.S. export
regulations, or Canadian import regulations?

According to Johnson's it because UPS doesn't come to Canada and that the only
way they ship.

They couldn't or wouldn't name a single company in Canada selling the stuff
either, even though there is nothing stopping Canadian retailers or wholesalers
from buying the stuff.

Doug Miller December 17th 04 03:08 AM

wrote:

They won't even ship to Canada.
US addresses only.

Anybody know whether that's due to a business decision, or to U.S. export
regulations, or Canadian import regulations?

According to Johnson's it because UPS doesn't come to Canada and that the only
way they ship.

Interesting. Heck, I'll ship it USPS Parcel Post to any Canadian that wants
it. For the right price, of course... :-)

--
Regards,

MikeG December 17th 04 03:09 AM

In article ,
says...
Minwax make a paste wax but I can't find out if it contains sillycones or not.

I queried Min Wax about their product a year or so ago. Their wax
doesn't contain silicon but it does contain an anti slip agent of some
kind and they said it would probably not be best used on surfaces, IE
saw table top, where you want things slippery.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

David Hall December 17th 04 03:29 AM

Minwax make a paste wax but I can't find out if it contains sillycones or
not.

It does not contain silicon(e), but it does contain anti-slip ingredients like
most other floor waxes. If you are using it as a finish on wood it should be
fine. If using it as a rust preventitive it should be as good as Johnson's ,
but if you are using it to make a surface slick I don't think anti-slip is what
you want ;)

Dave Hall

Larry Jaques December 17th 04 03:32 AM

On 16 Dec 2004 08:36:17 -0800, "RampRat"
calmly ranted:

I have read on some posts on how hard it's getting to find some.
I read on another post that Lowes sells it still. I found it at Amazon
for $20.16/3pk. also SC Johnson's website is selling it for $33.06/6pk.
Just wanted to pass this info along. A 6 pack my be excessive but I
figure i'll have some to pass on to my grandchildren years down the
road. The links are below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846
http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

Call your local Wally World. I got my last can there for $4.68 or
some similar price, no shipping. See? Walmart DOES stock U.S. brands!
(Several hundred of them, actually, but nobody bothers to notice.)

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

David Hall December 17th 04 03:35 AM

They couldn't or wouldn't name a single company in Canada selling the stuff
either, even though there is nothing stopping Canadian retailers or
wholesalers
from buying the stuff.

My understanding is that Canada requires the use of anti-slip ingredients in
all floor waxes and Johnson's does not have them. Johnson's (and possibly a few
others) were grandfathered from the regs in the US. It is my understanding that
it is still against OSHA regs to use floor waxes without anti-slip ingredients
in commercial applications subject to OSHA. I know that the school district I
work for in Pennsylvania does not use Johnson's as a floor wax due to
liability issues.

Dave Hall

Silvan December 17th 04 04:32 AM

David Hall wrote:

Johnson's , but if you are using it to make a surface slick I don't think
anti-slip is what you want ;)

Pro'ly not. Is Johnson's considered a "floor wax?" I seem to recall the
word "floor" on the can somewhere, but it seems to do a spiffy keen job of
making things slickery.

Silvan December 17th 04 04:34 AM

Doug Miller wrote:

According to Johnson's it because UPS doesn't come to Canada and that the
only way they ship.

Interesting. Heck, I'll ship it USPS Parcel Post to any Canadian that
wants it. For the right price, of course... :-)

Me too, for 10% off Doug's right price. :)

Or for the people who want value added service, and they're willing to pay a
little extra for the best possible care, I'll also do it for 20% more than
Doug's right price. Take your pick.

Silvan December 17th 04 04:36 AM

Dave W wrote:

I did't know it is hard to find. I get it at the local Ace Harware store.

I think a lot of this started when I noticed I couldn't get it at Wally
World anymore, then some Kanukistani convinced me that SC Johnson had
decided to discontinue the stuff. I went on a holy quest to find a new
supply of my favorite wax, and posted the results. That's what some of the
comments in this current thread have alluded to.

So it's all Silvan's fault again.

Mark & Juanita December 17th 04 04:59 AM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:36:07 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dave W wrote:

I did't know it is hard to find. I get it at the local Ace Harware store.

I think a lot of this started when I noticed I couldn't get it at Wally
World anymore, then some Kanukistani convinced me that SC Johnson had
decided to discontinue the stuff. I went on a holy quest to find a new
supply of my favorite wax, and posted the results. That's what some of the
comments in this current thread have alluded to.

So it's all Silvan's fault again.

So you're the one I have to blame for the box with the lifetime supply of
Johnson's wax sitting in my closet. I ordered it right after reading the
thread on here over a year ago (maybe two Christmas's ago?) about how it
would no longer be available. ;-)

Silvan December 17th 04 05:05 AM

Mark & Juanita wrote:

So you're the one I have to blame for the box with the lifetime supply
of
Johnson's wax sitting in my closet. I ordered it right after reading the
thread on here over a year ago (maybe two Christmas's ago?) about how it
would no longer be available. ;-)

No, not exactly. I never said it was being discontinued. I just went to
some length to let people know where they could still get it while
believing what someone else had warned me about.

How many surplus cans do you have? I'll buy some off of you as a favor, if
you want. If you're not worried about it, I'll just go buy a can at
Lowe's. :)

Mark & Juanita December 17th 04 05:14 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:05:05 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

So you're the one I have to blame for the box with the lifetime supply
of
Johnson's wax sitting in my closet. I ordered it right after reading the
thread on here over a year ago (maybe two Christmas's ago?) about how it
would no longer be available. ;-)

No, not exactly. I never said it was being discontinued. I just went to
some length to let people know where they could still get it while
believing what someone else had warned me about.

How many surplus cans do you have? I'll buy some off of you as a favor, if
you want. If you're not worried about it, I'll just go buy a can at
Lowe's. :)

I'm not worried about it at all. Shipping would be way more than your
time and gas to get it from Lowe's. Sometimes attempted humor just doesn't
come across the computer screen as well as it should; that was just
good-natured ribbing, not a complaint.

mac davis December 17th 04 08:29 AM

On 17 Dec 2004 03:35:56 GMT, (David Hall) wrote:

They couldn't or wouldn't name a single company in Canada selling the stuff
either, even though there is nothing stopping Canadian retailers or
wholesalers
from buying the stuff.

My understanding is that Canada requires the use of anti-slip ingredients in
all floor waxes and Johnson's does not have them. Johnson's (and possibly a few
others) were grandfathered from the regs in the US. It is my understanding that
it is still against OSHA regs to use floor waxes without anti-slip ingredients
in commercial applications subject to OSHA. I know that the school district I
work for in Pennsylvania does not use Johnson's as a floor wax due to
liability issues.

Dave Hall

hmm... I use it mostly on the shopsmith, per their instructions, and
have been doing that for 20+ years... wonder if "non-slip" wax
(sounds like Military Intelligence) would still make the tubes slide
well, o stick and jam??

mac davis December 17th 04 08:31 AM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:28:39 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

J T wrote:

Thu, Dec 16, 2004, 8:36am (EST-3) (RampRat)
snip A 6 pack my be excessive snip

MAY be excessive? I've got a can I bought years back, in my local
grocery (that still carries it, as far as I know), plus a full can I
bought at a flea market for $1. I'm pretty generous with it when I use
it, but the first can isn't even half gone. Get some buddies to chip i

I've gone through about four cans in the last two years. I'm almost out
again. I use that stuff on everything, and use it often.

wow.. must use it on your hair, too!! *g*

I bought 2 brands in 81, 1 can of each... down to about 1/4 of each
now..lol

Silvan December 17th 04 09:49 AM

mac davis wrote:

I've gone through about four cans in the last two years. I'm almost out
again. I use that stuff on everything, and use it often.

wow.. must use it on your hair, too!! *g*

I have a bunch of chisels, lathe tools, cast iron machinery, hand planes,
vises, anvils, sundry other steel or iron tools, all in an unheated shop.
I've never bothered to mail order Boeshield or any of the other fancy
alternatives. I just keep Johnson's on everything, and reapply as needed.
For some stuff, maybe twice a year. For other stuff, maybe once a week.
It's good on the soles of my planes and my saw table for making everything
slide smoothly, as well as affording a measure of rust protection.

Then I also use it on everything I build. I used to use 0000 steel wool and
wax over poly to kill the poly-ness, and then I saw the light and started
using shellac. Now I use 0000 steel wool and wax over shellac to kill the
shellac-ness. Shellac leaves a bit of a weird surface. The ol' wax and
wool puts a perfect finishing touch on it, and affords it some miniscule
measure of moisture and wear protection.

Just now, I even used it on all the furniture in my living room. It's
commercial furniture, and I had never really cared enough to try that
before, but the results sure were good. I think I will probably do that
from now on, instead of using Pledge. Takes a bit of doing, but it looks
fantastic.

It's also useful for driving tiny brass screws into hardwoods. It works
better than beeswax. Yet another use, I wax up my trumpets from time to
time. They both have worn spots in the lacquer, and the wax helps keep
those spots from tarnishing and standing out.

So yeah, I go through a lot of Johnson's, and a lot of 00000 steel wool too.
All without using it on my hair. I keep my hair cut at 5/8" and run the
buzzy thing through it as soon as it's starting to look like I should
reacquaint myself with a comb.

Silvan December 17th 04 09:50 AM

CW wrote:

Pro'ly not. Is Johnson's considered a "floor wax?" I seem to recall the
word "floor" on the can somewhere, but it seems to do a spiffy keen job
of making things slickery.

By this question, I can tell you were never in the military.

I'll take that as a yes then. :)

Charlie Self December 17th 04 10:37 AM

Gin SameOld asks:

Charlie have you ever used the Briwax, it stinks to high heaven but boy does
it
dry HARD.
You really need the elbow grease to buff it out.
The only can I've got or used is at least 40 years old.
It's been laying around here for years and I just opened it a month or two
ago.

I looked up their website and it looks to be good stuff.

It is good, but expensive. I use my own concoction for table tops. More
carnauba than is in the commercial waxes. Harder to apply, but I use a cordless
power buffer and it buffs out nicely. Three coats last me about a year.

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston
Churchill

Dave Hall December 17th 04 01:29 PM

Well, I used MinWax paste wax on my Shopsmith before I found out the
difference. I now use Johnson's. I can tell a substantial difference.
Floor wax is to protect the floor, shine it up, etc. It is not a great
idea, however, to make your floor slipperier than snot. Therefore quite
a while back floor waxes began to add anti-slip ingredients. It was
subsequently required under, I believe, an OSHA reg. Johnson's did not
reformulate their namesake product.

Phisherman December 17th 04 01:37 PM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:42:00 -0500, "Dave W"
wrote:

I did't know it is hard to find. I get it at the local Ace Harware store.
Dave

Our Super WalMart has it.

Dave Hall December 17th 04 01:37 PM

Johnson's is a floor wax (says so on the can), but it is not allowed
for commercial floor use under OSHA regs (my understanding). Johnson's
apparently decided against reformulating their namesake product (I
believe it says Johnson's original paste wax on the can), which may be
one reason why it now has a pretty small market and can be hard to find
in some areas. I also assume (without any real basis in knowledge) that
the lack of anti-slip additives in a product that says it is a floor
wax may be why Johnson's Paste Wax is not sold in Canada (their regs
may be a bit more stringent than ours and not allow it for commercial
OR non-commercial floor applications).

Dave Hall

Gino December 17th 04 03:45 PM

On 17 Dec 2004 10:37:04 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Gin SameOld asks:

Charlie have you ever used the Briwax, it stinks to high heaven but boy does
it
dry HARD.
You really need the elbow grease to buff it out.
The only can I've got or used is at least 40 years old.
It's been laying around here for years and I just opened it a month or two
ago.

I looked up their website and it looks to be good stuff.

It is good, but expensive.

Briwax is $20 a can here in the great white north, that's $3 cheaper than Lee
Valley's product.
Does the Lee Valley wax have anti-slip agents?
I assume the Briwax does not because it's a furniture wax.
I figure Johnsons will cost me at least $15 delivered from anywhere in the US.
Briwax looks like the way to go, and hey I've already got a 40 year old can of
the stuff almost full.:)
I can't find anything else.

I use my own concoction for table tops. More
carnauba than is in the commercial waxes. Harder to apply, but I use a cordless
power buffer and it buffs out nicely. Three coats last me about a year.

I may need on of those buffers for Briwax.:)