John

Default choosing a miter saw:

Hi,All:
I am debating the following 3 model's,

Ryobi 12 In. Compound laser miter saw Model TS1551DXL ($199)

DeWalt 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model DW705S ($299)

RIDGID 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model MS1250LZ ($299)

would anyone please give me some suggestions? looks like the Ryobi got
the laser, it that very important?
Thanks in advance.
John

patriarch

"Slowhand" I'm@work wrote in :

I've been very happy with my dewalt
SH

And I've been happy with mine. It gets used on almost every project, even
if it isn't for the final cuts.

Patriarch
gw

"John" wrote in message
m...
Hi,All:
I am debating the following 3 model's,

Ryobi 12 In. Compound laser miter saw Model TS1551DXL ($199)

DeWalt 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model DW705S ($299)

RIDGID 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model MS1250LZ ($299)

would anyone please give me some suggestions? looks like the Ryobi got
the laser, it that very important?
Thanks in advance.
John

Just so you know, the Ridgid "is" a Ryobi, just in orange clothing and of
better quality than the weekend warrior Ryobi blue junk. That said, I have
the Ridgid 12" sliding compound miter - the MS1290, I think - and I'm happy
with the way it cuts. The laser is a joke, and the only good thing about the
dust collection is the 2 1/2" port.

Edwin Pawlowski

"John" wrote in message
m...
Hi,All:
I am debating the following 3 model's,

DeWalt 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model DW705S ($299)

Nothing to debate. Only one choice.

Maybe worth a mention; you can get the DW706 (dual bevel)
reconditioned for around 250. I picked one up at the Denver WW show
for 209.

Can anyone take some tolerance measurements and post them here?
Blade runout ____ (mine is 0.010)
Fence to fixed table squareness (nearly perfect)
Fence to rotating table squareness (off 2-3 degrees)

Miter and bevel can easily be "tuned", but my out of squareness issue
is bugging me.

On 24 Nov 2004 12:04:43 -0800, (John) wrote:

Hi,All:
I am debating the following 3 model's,

Ryobi 12 In. Compound laser miter saw Model TS1551DXL ($199)

DeWalt 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model DW705S ($299)

RIDGID 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model MS1250LZ ($299)

would anyone please give me some suggestions? looks like the Ryobi got
the laser, it that very important?
Thanks in advance.
John

John DeBoo

gw wrote:

"John" wrote in message
m...

Hi,All:
I am debating the following 3 model's,

Ryobi 12 In. Compound laser miter saw Model TS1551DXL ($199)

DeWalt 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model DW705S ($299)

RIDGID 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model MS1250LZ ($299)

would anyone please give me some suggestions? looks like the Ryobi got
the laser, it that very important?
Thanks in advance.
John

Just so you know, the Ridgid "is" a Ryobi, just in orange clothing and of
better quality than the weekend warrior Ryobi blue junk. That said, I have
the Ridgid 12" sliding compound miter - the MS1290, I think - and I'm happy
with the way it cuts. The laser is a joke, and the only good thing about the
dust collection is the 2 1/2" port.

Interesting timing, I too was looking at them today and was about to
post a similar question, although I'm looking at a 10" probably. HD had
a Ryobi TS1352DXL($149) next to the Ridgid MS1065LZ($177) and they are
not even similar except for both being miter saws. The Ridgid was
definately much more stout, and it has a 3yr warr as opposed to a 2yr
for the Ryobi. Also looked at the Porter Cable 3700L($199)1yr warr &
the DeWalt DW703 ($199)--- no laser on this model, 1yr warr. All are
10" saws. Ran by Sears and snooped at theirs too but forgot my handy
dandy mfgr chart to convert Sears numbers from.

Talk to me about the laser and the dust bag, what's not right with them?
Grandpa John
gw

"John DeBoo" wrote in message
gw wrote:

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Ryobi and Ridgid are both part of Emerson Tool, IIRC. Emerson used to make
power tools for Sears. You will find that the Ryobi "Professional" tools
sold in Europe are indistinguishable from Ridgid, the house brand of Home
Depot. Have a look he http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=114304
That is my Ridgid, only in Ryobi blue instead of Borg orange. I would rate
Ridgid vs Ryobi similar to the DeWalt vs Black & Decker lines.

On my Ridgid - the laser replaces the arbor washer under the nut. The laser
line is 1/8" or to the left of the actual cut line, rendering it useless.
There is no way to adjust it. The dust bag is suspended above the dust port,
so what little dust is thrown into it falls out the moment the blade stops
producing wind. It is held in a bent wire frame, and it's pushed so close to
the frame of the saw that the opening of the bag is practically closed off.
I have it hooked to my DC anyway - not a factor.

Woodcrafter

Just so you know, the Ridgid "is" a Ryobi, just in orange clothing and of
better quality than the weekend warrior Ryobi blue junk. That said, I have
the Ridgid 12" sliding compound miter - the MS1290, I think - and I'm

happy
with the way it cuts. The laser is a joke, and the only good thing about

the
dust collection is the 2 1/2" port.

Here's a couple Miter Saw reviews that may be of interest to newsgroupers:

Ryobi EMS1830SCL 12" Slide CMS (pretty much identical to the Rigid
MS1290LZ)
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...EMS1830SCL.htm

Bosch 3912 12" CMS
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/boschgcm12.htm

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 60 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw
- Festool CT22E Dust Extractor
- Fasco GN-40A Brad Nailer
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction
- Milescraft SignCrafter

mac davis

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:11:09 -0500, "gw" wrote:

Talk to me about the laser and the dust bag, what's not right with them?
Grandpa John

On my Ridgid - the laser replaces the arbor washer under the nut. The laser
line is 1/8" or to the left of the actual cut line, rendering it useless.
There is no way to adjust it. The dust bag is suspended above the dust port,
so what little dust is thrown into it falls out the moment the blade stops
producing wind. It is held in a bent wire frame, and it's pushed so close to
the frame of the saw that the opening of the bag is practically closed off.
I have it hooked to my DC anyway - not a factor.

I have the *ducking* craftsman with the laser and dust bag... no idea
who makes this one for them..
The dust bag works well on this saw.. actually better than replacing
it with a shop vac..
needs emptying a couple of times a week when I have a project or two
going..

The laser is ok for a general guide.. I use it as a rough base on long
pieces and then eyeball them with the blade down on the wood..
I was spoiled by my neighbor's CMS that we used when we built my
deck.. he's a drywall contractor and has a bunch of very quiet
"hospital work" certified 12" CMS with lasers that are not only
adjustable, but mounted in the handle of the saw and can be switched
from left to right... what a tool!!
Then I got my 10" CMS and was not thrilled with the laser..
of course, there was a $1,500 price difference between the 2 saws..
lol

Charlie Self

gw writes:

Ryobi and Ridgid are both part of Emerson Tool, IIRC. Emerson used to make
power tools for Sear

You don't remember correctly. Ryobi is the tool arm of a holding company whose
initials I persistently forget. They make many of the Ridgid line of power
tools, which is a brand name owned by Emerson Tools. Emerson used to make many
of the Craftsman tools. I'm pretty sure they still make the shop vacuums, and
possibly other tools. The Craftsman business is a highly competitive one, as
you'll note from the differences in style of some tools (router may be Bosch,
biscuit joiner is probably DeWalt, etc.). Currently, Craftsman table saws are
made by a company called Orion, out of Pittsburgh (the company, not the saws,
which are, I believe, Taiwanese).
On my Ridgid - the laser replaces the arbor washer under the nut. The laser
line is 1/8" or to the left of the actual cut line, rendering it useless.
There is no way to adjust it.

I don't like the laser set-ups on any of the arbor nut styles--Ryobi, Ridgid,
Craftsman. The Delta and Porter-Cable dual lasers are excellent.

The dust bag is suspended above the dust port,
so what little dust is thrown into it falls out the moment the blade stops
producing wind. It is held in a bent wire frame, and it's pushed so close to
the frame of the saw that the opening of the bag is practically closed off.
I have it hooked to my DC anyway - not a factor.

Dust collection on every miter saw and compound miter saw I've ever seen, with
or without slides, needs improvement. They're better with a shop vacuum hooked
into the line, but they're still not good. Years ago, a friend of mine cobbled
up a cardboard/aluminum dust collection set up for his radial arm saw. It
consists mainly of a box large enough to cover the spout, side to side and
vertically, with the DC connection near the bottom. That works. It will also
work for CMS and SCMS if placed correctly (though not as well with SCMS unless
you've got some heavy DC power). Remove the blinking bag when using the
collector.

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Charlie Self

Dave Jackson writes:

The DW is the King of 12" CMS.

I prefer my Bosch SCMS. Of course, the $700 price is pretty kingly, too.

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken
Bob G.

If those 3 saws were in the local paper for sale I would not even
bother to pick up the phone to call on the Ridgid or Roybi..

I would on the DeWalt...

I have been doing serious woodworking for 40+ years and over time have
developed a bad attitude about some brands.. Sorry to say this but
Roybi is one ...Ridgid on the other hand has Not yet reached that
point but I have not been impressed by any of their machines except
maybe for their planer... Even saying that I still use a few
Craftsman machines I bought in the late 60"s

Just my biased opinion...offered without any data to back it up..

Bob Griffiths

On 24 Nov 2004 12:04:43 -0800, (John) wrote:

Hi,All:
I am debating the following 3 model's,

Ryobi 12 In. Compound laser miter saw Model TS1551DXL ($199)

DeWalt 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model DW705S ($299)

RIDGID 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model MS1250LZ ($299)

would anyone please give me some suggestions? looks like the Ryobi got
the laser, it that very important?
Thanks in advance.
John

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:30:43 +1000, "Woodcrafter"
wrote:

Just so you know, the Ridgid "is" a Ryobi, just in orange clothing and of
better quality than the weekend warrior Ryobi blue junk. That said, I have
the Ridgid 12" sliding compound miter - the MS1290, I think - and I'm

happy
with the way it cuts. The laser is a joke, and the only good thing about

the
dust collection is the 2 1/2" port.

Here's a couple Miter Saw reviews that may be of interest to newsgroupers:

Ryobi EMS1830SCL 12" Slide CMS (pretty much identical to the Rigid
MS1290LZ)
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...EMS1830SCL.htm

Bosch 3912 12" CMS
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/boschgcm12.htm

I have this bosch saw. I've been very disappointed by it. the
machining is off, so it has inaccuracies built into it that cannot be
adjusted out. if I set itto miter accurately at 90 degrees it's about
2 degrees out at 45. if I set it to chop straight through at 90/90
the detent that holds the swing arm down down for storage and
transport doesn't line up with it's hole. the plastic miter lock knob
fell apart. the table drifts when you try to lock it at an angle
outside of a detent.

this saw is a bit of a dog.
John DeBoo

gw wrote:

"John DeBoo" wrote in message

gw wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Thanks for the input. I can easily understand why you'd be unhappy with
both. I'll have a look at some of the newer dual lasers and see what
they are like, or at a minimum a single that is adjustable.
Thanx again, John
John DeBoo

I noted that the DW703, which was in the general price range $200 of
the others doesn't have a laser. Others that do being Ryobi 10" $149,
Ridgid 10" $177, Porter Cable 10" $199 and several Craftsman's $200 &
under, incl their newest dual laser 21254 with legs & support for long
pieces. Unknown if its adjustable but I'd sure hope so. The only DW I
noted w/ laser was a 121" and it ran a bit over $500. My use is light
duty hobby stuff. No professional work or day in & out usage. Window
trim, some bookcases etc. Guess I'll continue to look at features and
make selection within a month max.
John

Bob G. wrote:

If those 3 saws were in the local paper for sale I would not even
bother to pick up the phone to call on the Ridgid or Roybi..

I would on the DeWalt...

I have been doing serious woodworking for 40+ years and over time have
developed a bad attitude about some brands.. Sorry to say this but
Roybi is one ...Ridgid on the other hand has Not yet reached that
point but I have not been impressed by any of their machines except
maybe for their planer... Even saying that I still use a few
Craftsman machines I bought in the late 60"s

Just my biased opinion...offered without any data to back it up..

Bob Griffiths

PDQ

About Dewalt and Black and Decker: a few years ago B&D ran into a lot of =
bad press (justly deserved) and, needing a good name, went out and =
bought DW. Beyond that, B&D is D-I-Y level and DW is professional. =20

When looking at Craftsman, one can never really tell who made it for all =
the best names have taken turns - Bosch, P-C, DW, Ryobi. They just made =
the stuff to Sears' specs. =20

I have a whole slew of Craftsman tools (all pro level) and haven't been =
happier. I even added in DW and P-C when I deemed their tool to be =
better. I even have a 40 year old heavier than lead B&D belt sander =
which I wouldn't trade for anything.

For compound miter saws - if you do not want a slider, 10 inch is =
probably better.
The big deal with these saws is length of bed and height of back. =
Higher and wider is better. Of prime importance is positive stops with =
no slop when engaged.

If ever a slider is considered, a little less saw can be tolerated as =
the slide makes up for the difference in blade size. Of prime =
importance is the slide mechanism as a single slide bar allows for too =
much play resulting in sloppy cuts. 2 bar sliders are best. =20

No matter what is chosen, a motor mounted on top of the blade is better =
as the blade can tip further than one mounted on the side, and the back =
does not need to be cut to allow the motor to dip.=20
--=20

PDQ
--
=20
"Bob G." wrote in message =
| If those 3 saws were in the local paper for sale I would not even
| bother to pick up the phone to call on the Ridgid or Roybi..
|=20
| I would on the DeWalt...
|=20
| I have been doing serious woodworking for 40+ years and over time have
| developed a bad attitude about some brands.. Sorry to say this but
| Roybi is one ...Ridgid on the other hand has Not yet reached that
| point but I have not been impressed by any of their machines except
| maybe for their planer... Even saying that I still use a few
| Craftsman machines I bought in the late 60"s =20
|=20
| Just my biased opinion...offered without any data to back it up..
|=20
| Bob Griffiths
|=20
|=20
| =20
|=20
|=20
|=20
|=20
|=20
| On 24 Nov 2004 12:04:43 -0800, (John) wrote:
|=20
| Hi,All:
| I am debating the following 3 model's,=20
|

| Ryobi 12 In. Compound laser miter saw Model TS1551DXL ($199)
|
| DeWalt 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model DW705S ($299)
|
| RIDGID 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model MS1250LZ ($299)
| =20
| would anyone please give me some suggestions? looks like the Ryobi =
got
| the laser, it that very important?
| Thanks in advance.
| John

Woodcrafter

wrote:

[...]

You must have bought a dud. Mine has no such problems and works great, and
is accurate. Maybe I was lucky, or you were unlucky?

Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
[...]

something like that.
this saw is one that hit the market right after the skil/bosch merger,
and it's from the skil product line. the identical saw was released
with the skil label on it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am looking for a good miter saw. I was told by HD that i shouldn't
think of Ryobi as their not accurate with the cuts. is this true? I'm
just starting a business and can't waste or invest so much right away
on a more "accurate" saw so the Ryobi's seemed a good
choice. What do you all think? yeah the laser is only good when up,
the dust bag sucks but what about the angles? is the 22.5 degree cut
i want going to be that or -+ a bit? with what i do, a bit is a whole
lot!

I will be using it to cut and frame crown moulding on top and bottom
areas of these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...hnovariums.jpg
-
[img:ecf4d82ede]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/Terra5Designs/arachnovarium_Ten_Vert_Arboreal_5.jpg[/img:ecf4d82ede]
-
as well as larger ticket items like this:
[img:ecf4d82ede]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/Terra5Designs/Slant_Front_Vivarium.gif[/img:ecf4d82ede]
-
[img:ecf4d82ede]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/Terra5Designs/Wall_box_arachnovarium_01d.jpg[/img:ecf4d82ede]

to that, a client will look close and if the angles aren't on the
money, meaning a 45 isn't a 45 but a 46 or on a hex, if the 22.5 is
more like a 23 then it's not going to sell. will this saw help get
the ball roling good enought or is the gauge off like HD says?

Posted to rec.woodworking

:wumpscut: wrote:
I am looking for a good miter saw. I was told by HD that i shouldn't
think of Ryobi as their not accurate with the cuts. is this true?

Yes

I'm
just starting a business and can't waste or invest so much right away
on a more "accurate" saw so the Ryobi's seemed a good
choice.

It's not.

What do you all think? yeah the laser is only good when up,
the dust bag sucks but what about the angles? is the 22.5 degree cut
i want going to be that or -+ a bit? with what i do, a bit is a whole
lot!

The angles most likely will be off a lot more than a bit.

I will be using it to cut and frame crown moulding on top and bottom
areas of these:

You'll probably end up using it as a boat anchor. In my opinion there
is too much slop in Ryobi's saws to make them useful for anything other
than framing.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Posted to rec.woodworking

no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

You'll probably end up using it as a boat anchor.

Spoken like a true landlubberG

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg D. wrote:
Hi,

As far as precision is concerned on a mitersaw, you better make sure
you tune it well and only good quality saws can be tuned properly and
remained precise for a while. Cheap ones are almost impossible to set
within fractions of 1 degree.

If you're looking for dead-on precision all the time...

www.ctdsaw.com

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

":wumpscut:" wrote in message
I'm
just starting a business and can't waste or invest so much right away
on a more "accurate" saw so the Ryobi's seemed a good
choice.

I won't hire you If you are willing to compromise on a cheap saw, I don't
trust you to do good work. If you can't waste money, then you MUST invest
in a good tool. If the miter saw is an important part of your business and
you can't afford a $300 DeWalt over the $99 Ryobi, you are seriously
underfunded and won't be in business long. Go to work for someone else and
save up another $2500 or so before you think about going on your own. $10k
would be better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm
just starting a business and can't waste or invest so much right away
on a more "accurate" saw so the Ryobi's seemed a good
choice.

Makita, Bosch, and DeWalt are good choices for a chop saw. Ryobi is
good for a belt sander where precision is not required. You will
probably want to make or buy a portable miter saw station with a stop
so you can duplicate cuts quickly and easily. Fussing with a saw is
not something you want to do when time is important.