John DeBoo

gw wrote:

"John DeBoo" wrote in message

gw wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.com...

Hi,All:
I am debating the following 3 model's,

Ryobi 12 In. Compound laser miter saw Model TS1551DXL ($199)

DeWalt 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model DW705S ($299)

RIDGID 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model MS1250LZ ($299)

would anyone please give me some suggestions? looks like the Ryobi got
the laser, it that very important?
Thanks in advance.
John

Just so you know, the Ridgid "is" a Ryobi, just in orange clothing and of
better quality than the weekend warrior Ryobi blue junk. That said, I
have
the Ridgid 12" sliding compound miter - the MS1290, I think - and I'm
happy
with the way it cuts. The laser is a joke, and the only good thing about
the
dust collection is the 2 1/2" port.

Interesting timing, I too was looking at them today and was about to post
a similar question, although I'm looking at a 10" probably. HD had a
Ryobi TS1352DXL($149) next to the Ridgid MS1065LZ($177) and they are not
even similar except for both being miter saws. The Ridgid was definately
much more stout, and it has a 3yr warr as opposed to a 2yr for the Ryobi.
Also looked at the Porter Cable 3700L($199)1yr warr & the DeWalt DW703
($199)--- no laser on this model, 1yr warr. All are 10" saws. Ran by
Sears and snooped at theirs too but forgot my handy dandy mfgr chart to
convert Sears numbers from.

Talk to me about the laser and the dust bag, what's not right with them?
Grandpa John

Ryobi and Ridgid are both part of Emerson Tool, IIRC. Emerson used to make
power tools for Sears. You will find that the Ryobi "Professional" tools
sold in Europe are indistinguishable from Ridgid, the house brand of Home
Depot. Have a look he http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=114304
That is my Ridgid, only in Ryobi blue instead of Borg orange. I would rate
Ridgid vs Ryobi similar to the DeWalt vs Black & Decker lines.

On my Ridgid - the laser replaces the arbor washer under the nut. The laser
line is 1/8" or to the left of the actual cut line, rendering it useless.
There is no way to adjust it. The dust bag is suspended above the dust port,
so what little dust is thrown into it falls out the moment the blade stops
producing wind. It is held in a bent wire frame, and it's pushed so close to
the frame of the saw that the opening of the bag is practically closed off.
I have it hooked to my DC anyway - not a factor.

Thanks for the input. I can easily understand why you'd be unhappy with
both. I'll have a look at some of the newer dual lasers and see what
they are like, or at a minimum a single that is adjustable.
Thanx again, John