Charlie Self

gw writes:

Ryobi and Ridgid are both part of Emerson Tool, IIRC. Emerson used to make
power tools for Sear

You don't remember correctly. Ryobi is the tool arm of a holding company whose
initials I persistently forget. They make many of the Ridgid line of power
tools, which is a brand name owned by Emerson Tools. Emerson used to make many
of the Craftsman tools. I'm pretty sure they still make the shop vacuums, and
possibly other tools. The Craftsman business is a highly competitive one, as
you'll note from the differences in style of some tools (router may be Bosch,
biscuit joiner is probably DeWalt, etc.). Currently, Craftsman table saws are
made by a company called Orion, out of Pittsburgh (the company, not the saws,
which are, I believe, Taiwanese).
On my Ridgid - the laser replaces the arbor washer under the nut. The laser
line is 1/8" or to the left of the actual cut line, rendering it useless.
There is no way to adjust it.

I don't like the laser set-ups on any of the arbor nut styles--Ryobi, Ridgid,
Craftsman. The Delta and Porter-Cable dual lasers are excellent.

The dust bag is suspended above the dust port,
so what little dust is thrown into it falls out the moment the blade stops
producing wind. It is held in a bent wire frame, and it's pushed so close to
the frame of the saw that the opening of the bag is practically closed off.
I have it hooked to my DC anyway - not a factor.

Dust collection on every miter saw and compound miter saw I've ever seen, with
or without slides, needs improvement. They're better with a shop vacuum hooked
into the line, but they're still not good. Years ago, a friend of mine cobbled
up a cardboard/aluminum dust collection set up for his radial arm saw. It
consists mainly of a box large enough to cover the spout, side to side and
vertically, with the DC connection near the bottom. That works. It will also
work for CMS and SCMS if placed correctly (though not as well with SCMS unless
you've got some heavy DC power). Remove the blinking bag when using the
collector.

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken