Edwin Pawlowski

Default OT; One vote (forwarded from rmmga)

"James T. Kirby" wrote in message
Said much better than I've had the time or energy to do.

Jim Kirby

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research University of Delaware Newark, DE

Does the University of Delaware permit you to use their computers to foster
your personal political agenda? Is this paid for and supported by the
taxpayers in Delaware?

James T. Kirby

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Does the University of Delaware permit you to use their computers to foster
your personal political agenda? Is this paid for and supported by the
taxpayers in Delaware?

The University is fairly open to the notion of free speech and exchange of ideas.
Are you not?

JK

Swingman

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Does the University of Delaware permit you to use their computers to

foster
your personal political agenda? Is this paid for and supported by the
taxpayers in Delaware?

The University is fairly open to the notion of free speech and exchange of

ideas.
Are you not?

Only if it's yours ... if you admittedly can't do any better than re-posting
someone else's twaddle, stick to woodworking.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

James T. Kirby

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Does the University of Delaware permit you to use their computers to

foster

your personal political agenda? Is this paid for and supported by the
taxpayers in Delaware?

The University is fairly open to the notion of free speech and exchange of

ideas.

Are you not?

Only if it's yours ... if you admittedly can't do any better than re-posting
someone else's twaddle, stick to woodworking.

OK, when I think it's twaddle, I'll take your advice.

Swingman

Swingman wrote:

Only if it's yours ... if you admittedly can't do any better than

re-posting
someone else's twaddle, stick to woodworking.

OK, when I think it's twaddle, I'll take your advice.

Don't bother ... you've already proved that you're clueless in that regard..

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Dave in Fairfax

"James T. Kirby" wrote:
um hmm, whatever

Normally I stay away from the political BS but I got a letter from
PL this morning. In it he had a link that you might want to read,
I won't quote it, here's the URL if you're interested.
http://www.supertool.com/forsale/kerry.html

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
James T. Kirby

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
"James T. Kirby" wrote:

um hmm, whatever

Normally I stay away from the political BS but I got a letter from
PL this morning. In it he had a link that you might want to read,
I won't quote it, here's the URL if you're interested.
http://www.supertool.com/forsale/kerry.html

Dave in Fairfax

cute kid.

I missed Vietnam (thankfully just a little too young - had a high lottery
number in the
last year of winding down), but knew a number of people in college who had
come back,
many with their decorations (not at Kerry's level)
for doing a job conscientiously and with great selflessness, many with horror
over what
they had seen and experienced, and to a large extent, an overlap between the
two. I can't
say that I knew anyone who didn't basically feel the way Kerry felt, both in
terms of
pride of their service and how they felt they had conducted themselves, and
revulsion at the
war itself. That's as close as I can get to any direct knowledge of the situation.

Angry times, and a lot of angry words said both ways. I think people who
returned from the war
with anger over its futility and lack of reason for being conducted were right
in attacking it's
existence, even if they went too far in attacking its participants (we all made
that mistake, and I think
have to be careful not to make it again). It was important to end our
involvement.

JK

Edwin Pawlowski

"James T. Kirby" wrote in message

The University is fairly open to the notion of free speech and exchange of
ideas.
Are you not?

JK

Sure, when it is FREE. I am opposed to using my tax dollars for someone to
exercise their rights. If the university is 100% private funded, I'd not
mention it. Post the information from your own personal private account
that you pay for and I have no complaints. This is a woodworking newsgroup
and I'm opposed to all the political topics being here.

mark

Is it really possible that the rest
of the world is wrong in its opinions of
our actions, and we alone are right?

Of course it is - haven't you heard "Everyone's out of step but me."?

That's George's motto :-).

That brings to mind an old bumpersticker -- "Eat ****, 10 billion flies
can't be wrong."

Unisaw A100

Fletis Humplebacker

"Dave jackson"
hmmm. This letter would go along with the bumper sticker i saw today that
said "Vote the Son-of-a-Bush Out" --dave

There was this new bar in town that everyone was talking about because
it had a robot-bartender. A man walks in to see this for himself. He
sits at the bar and sure enough, a robot was bartending.

The man orders a drink, and the robot asks him what his IQ is. The man
replies that his IQ is 150.

So the robot begins discussing nuclear physics, hydrogen power cells,
and the current state of the global atmosphere. The man is amazed. He
has to see how good this robot really is. He leaves the bar and comes
right back in and sits at the bar.

Again, the robot asks him for his IQ.

This time the man replies "100."

So the robot discusses football, basketball, and the proper way to
grill a steak.

The man leaves and comes back in for a third time. This time he tells
the robot that his IQ is 50.

The robot replies: "So, are you democrats really going to vote for
this Kerry guy?"

GregP

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:08:26 -0500, "Lu Powell"
wrote:

Must be terrible to be an apologist for your "hero".

Better to be an apologist for a "hero" who hid out in a
Guard unit in Texas but has no problems sending people
to die, along with a bunch of other chickenhawks ?
GregP

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:29:12 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"James T. Kirby" wrote in message

The University is fairly open to the notion of free speech and exchange of
ideas.
Are you not?

JK

Sure, when it is FREE. I am opposed to using my tax dollars for someone to
exercise their rights. If the university is 100% private funded, I'd not
mention it. Post the information from your own personal private account
that you pay for and I have no complaints. This is a woodworking newsgroup
and I'm opposed to all the political topics being here.

So now you are going to turn him in, eh ? After seeing how many
thousands of messages posted from university accounts since
you got on usenet ?

Fletis Humplebacker

"GregP"
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:08:26 -0500, "Lu Powell"

Must be terrible to be an apologist for your "hero".

Better to be an apologist for a "hero" who hid out in a
Guard unit in Texas but has no problems sending people
to die, along with a bunch of other chickenhawks ?

How much time did Clinton do in the military? Hypocrisy is
the flip side of the liberal coin.

Trent©

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:22:29 -0800, "Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote:

"GregP"
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:08:26 -0500, "Lu Powell"

Must be terrible to be an apologist for your "hero".

Better to be an apologist for a "hero" who hid out in a
Guard unit in Texas but has no problems sending people
to die, along with a bunch of other chickenhawks ?

How much time did Clinton do in the military? Hypocrisy is
the flip side of the liberal coin.

Back then, you could get a deferment if you were born to propagate the
world!! lol

Have a nice one...

Trent

Edwin Pawlowski

"GregP" wrote in message
So now you are going to turn him in, eh ? After seeing how many
thousands of messages posted from university accounts since
you got on usenet ?

Not my job to turn him in; he has a conscience. So you think it is OK to
use a University account to post personal political, religious, or other
views when it is paid for by taxpayers? Do you see the state highway
department trucks with political posters on them? Or police cars? Or the
sanitation department? Is it OK to use state workers to do lawn care for
private citizens or department heads. Just where do you draw the line at
using public funds for personal agendas?

Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:27:06 -0500, "James T. Kirby"
wrote:

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
"James T. Kirby" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it's a great thing we got out. Who cares about the side-effects?

Heard an account yesterday of a Hmong woman from Laos. Apparently the
Hmong were friendly to our troops and would help American pilots shot down
return to their units. After we surrendered and Vietnam, then Laos and
Cambodia fell, the communists came looking for the Hmong. Not to laud them
for exercising their democratic rights of free speech, nor to throw them in
jail, but to kill them. Not only to kill the adults, but to kill their
families as well. This particular woman was the mother of 10 children
whose husband was an officer, their youngest was 3 months old when Laos
fell. When they heard the communists were coming, they packed up what they
could, left their home and made their way through the jungle, travelling at
night, hiding under bananan leaves during the day to avoid the communists.
who were searching for them. They made their way to the Mekong river, and
made their way across to Thailand on a makeshift raft. Unfortunately, the
communists spotted them and proceeded to fire their AK-47's at them as they
paddled across. This woman watched as one of her children was shot and
killed, then a second, her husband was shot and died, then two more of the
children. She did make it to Thailand, with the remaining 6 children and 5
bodies to bury.

But it's such a good thing that the imperialist US was kicked out of the
region so that the tolerant communists could take over.

Morris Dovey

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"GregP" wrote in message

So now you are going to turn him in, eh ? After seeing how
many thousands of messages posted from university accounts
since you got on usenet ?

Not my job to turn him in; he has a conscience. So you think
it is OK to use a University account to post personal
political, religious, or other views when it is paid for by
taxpayers?

Strangely enough, I do - even without knowing if the OP is a
student, faculty, or administrative person. University computer
centers still provide much of the Internet's backbone; and a
great deal of the continuing development is done by people in
universities (who contribute their efforts with the sole aim of
helping to make it all work better.)

There's also the aspect of keeping educators and students
"attached" to the real world. Who can say what the value of
intellectual stimulation (even on the wreck!) might be when
considered in an educational context. The ability to converse, to
share ideas, is IMHO an especially Good Thing in this context. I
wouldn't be too quick to deny use of the tool.

Providing universities with the funds to improve their
connected-ness could be one of our best investments...

(2¢)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Scott Cramer

"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in
:

The man orders a drink, and the robot asks him what his IQ is. The man
replies that his IQ is 150.

So the robot begins discussing nuclear physics, hydrogen power cells,
and the current state of the global atmosphere. The man is amazed. He
has to see how good this robot really is. He leaves the bar and comes
right back in and sits at the bar.

Again, the robot asks him for his IQ.

This time the man replies "100."

So the robot discusses football, basketball, and the proper way to
grill a steak.

The man leaves and comes back in for a third time. This time he tells
the robot that his IQ is 50.

So the robot replies: "Get your deer yet?"
Jim Kirby

"Lu Powell" wrote in message ...
Must be terrible to be an apologist for your "hero".

He's certainly not my hero, and I don't feel any particular need to
apologize for him. Just reporting what I saw as being a fairly
consistant reaction to events at the time.

I don't think Kerry is a particularly good choice for a candidate,
probably for reasons that have
nothing to do with the drum beating here. I didn't vote for him in
the primary.

But I'm going to vote for him today. I'd vote for the groundhog that
lives under the shed in my backyard before I'd vote for the
Bush/Cheney/DeLay/etc fascists.

JK

Jim Kirby

"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in message ...
"GregP"
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:08:26 -0500, "Lu Powell"

Must be terrible to be an apologist for your "hero".

Better to be an apologist for a "hero" who hid out in a
Guard unit in Texas but has no problems sending people
to die, along with a bunch of other chickenhawks ?

How much time did Clinton do in the military? Hypocrisy is
the flip side of the liberal coin.

Heh, there we go, Clinton again. Just can't get over the idea that
you had to give up the White House for 8 years, can you?

JK
Fletis Humplebacker

"Scott Cramer"
"Fletis Humplebacker"

The man orders a drink, and the robot asks him what his IQ is. The man
replies that his IQ is 150.

So the robot begins discussing nuclear physics, hydrogen power cells,
and the current state of the global atmosphere. The man is amazed. He
has to see how good this robot really is. He leaves the bar and comes
right back in and sits at the bar.

Again, the robot asks him for his IQ.

This time the man replies "100."

So the robot discusses football, basketball, and the proper way to
grill a steak.

The man leaves and comes back in for a third time. This time he tells
the robot that his IQ is 50.

So the robot replies: "Get your deer yet?"

....and Kerry replies "I was duck huntin' like a regular guy!"

Trent©

wrote:

"James T. Kirby" wrote in message

The University is fairly open to the notion of free speech and exchange of
ideas.
Are you not?

JK

Sure, when it is FREE. I am opposed to using my tax dollars for someone to
exercise their rights. If the university is 100% private funded, I'd not
mention it. Post the information from your own personal private account
that you pay for and I have no complaints.

Although I have no idea of the OP's way of financing his education,
chances are that he's paying tuition of some kind...which would
include a fee for computer lab access. He's probably paying the
university more for that ability than you are.

Personally, I'm more angry at those people who use my tax dollars for
access at the library. What an oxymoron...computer access at a book
depository!

This is a woodworking newsgroup
and I'm opposed to all the political topics being here.

And so am I. Early on, I created a filter on 'Bush', 'Kerry'. I'll
be glad when this is over today...and Kerry finally gets in office!
lol

On the other hand, the OP did mark it as 'OT'.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Scott Cramer

"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in :

The man leaves and comes back in for a third time. This time he tells
the robot that his IQ is 50.

So the robot replies: "Get your deer yet?"

...and Kerry replies "I was duck huntin' like a regular guy!"

Careful Fletis, or you'll find yourself in the unenviable position of
having to defend George W. Bush's IQ.

Can you say "misunderestimate?"
Al Reid

"Scott Cramer" wrote in message . 170.11...
"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in :

The man leaves and comes back in for a third time. This time he tells
the robot that his IQ is 50.

So the robot replies: "Get your deer yet?"

...and Kerry replies "I was duck huntin' like a regular guy!"

Careful Fletis, or you'll find yourself in the unenviable position of
having to defend George W. Bush's IQ.

Can you say "misunderestimate?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/24/po.../24points.html

"To Bush-bashers, it may be the most infuriating revelation yet from the military records of the two presidential candidates: the
young George W. Bush probably had a higher I.Q. than did the young John Kerry."

Have a good day.

--
Al Reid

A government big enough to give you everything you want...
is big enough to take away everything you have."

Al Reid

Al Reid wrote:

"To Bush-bashers, it may be the most infuriating revelation yet from the military records of the two presidential candidates:

the
young George W. Bush probably had a higher I.Q. than did the young John Kerry."

Have a good day.

There's a difference between native intelligence and what you manage to do with it.
(he says after watching undergraduate and graduate students for 20 years :^) )

JK

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716

phone: 302-831-2438
fax: 302-831-1228
email:
http://chinacat.coastal.udel.edu/~kirby

If you can't dispute it, spin it!

Have a good day.

--

Al

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:53:40 -0500, "Thomas Bunetta"
calmly ranted:

Then vote Nader!

But I'm going to vote for him today. I'd vote for the groundhog that
lives under the shed in my backyard before I'd vote for the
Bush/Cheney/DeLay/etc fascists.

No, vote for Michael Badnarik.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003

James T. Kirby

Al Reid wrote:

[...]

IQ's of 120 or 120+ are probably within statistics for a good or bad day. We
have a friend who does extensive research
on testing methods and testing bias, and she has used our twins (now 14) as
part of her control group several times
as examples of people who test well. From this I know (1) they are basically
statistically even (surprising or not,
I dunno, they are identical though), and (2) their scores can swing by more
than the amount in question above,
depending on mood, health, etc. (They both score significantly higher than the
numbers above though, so maybe
there is more standard deviation in the scores once you get above a certain
level - I really don't know. I'm guessing
that 120 or 120+ is basically a wash.

JK

Fletis Humplebacker

"Jim Kirby"
"Fletis Humplebacker"
"GregP"
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:08:26 -0500, "Lu Powell"

Must be terrible to be an apologist for your "hero".

Better to be an apologist for a "hero" who hid out in a
Guard unit in Texas but has no problems sending people
to die, along with a bunch of other chickenhawks ?

How much time did Clinton do in the military? Hypocrisy is
the flip side of the liberal coin.

Heh, there we go, Clinton again. Just can't get over the idea that
you had to give up the White House for 8 years, can you?

The point escaped you, as usual.

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:58:20 -0500, Al Reid
wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/24/po.../24points.html

"To Bush-bashers, it may be the most infuriating revelation yet from
the military records of the two presidential candidates: the young
George W. Bush probably had a higher I.Q. than did the young John
Kerry."

But we all know that the NYTimes is part of the Vast Right-Wing
Conspiracy....

GregP

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:49:41 -0500, Trent©
wrote:

Back then, you could get a deferment if you were born to propagate the
world!! lol

That was Cheney's dodge.
GregP

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 04:29:21 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Not my job to turn him in; he has a conscience. So you think it is OK to
use a University account to post personal political, religious, or other
views when it is paid for by taxpayers? Do you see the state highway
department trucks with political posters on them? Or police cars? Or the
sanitation department? Is it OK to use state workers to do lawn care for
private citizens or department heads. Just where do you draw the line at
using public funds for personal agendas?

There are numerous students posting political views, fascist,
conservative, middle-of-the-road, and left throughout Usenet
and the Internet. I believe that that is a very appropriate use
of educational resources, even tho I don't agree with what a
lot of them have to say.
GregP

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 02:22:46 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

Providing universities with the funds to improve their
connected-ness could be one of our best investments...

That won't happen if this administrration comes back:
it thinks that it's a lot more important to stop taxing
corporations.
DIYGUY

[...]

Next patron comes in and the bartender repeats the question. Man

replies I don't know - what is an IQ? Bartender says "drinks on the
house - my man Bush is with us tonight!"