Edwin Pawlowski

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

If you don't care one way or the other, won't go visit, don't
agree with their reasons, don't agree with their morals, don't
want the limitations, etc, just don't vote.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Live and let live.

I'll vote for that. If they can have newsgroups such as rec.fart I'm not
going to stand in the way of one that may be of value to someone.

patrick conroy

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:26:51 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

But, only if you have some really -compelling- reason they should
not be able to start their group, should you vote "No."

Live and let live.

Agreed. I don't buy the dilution argument.

Dave Hinz

wrote:

But, only if you have some really -compelling- reason they should
not be able to start their group, should you vote "No."

Agreed. I don't buy the dilution argument.

Why don't you go check out alt.genealogy.methods for a good example of
a group created by someone who thought they had a better idea? Yes, it's
alt rather than rec., but it's the first example I can think of of a
group that was very vocally proposed and has since effectively died.

jo4hn

Tim Douglass wrote:
[snip]

So your vote is for confusion and duplication? If this was for
anything other than just a rec.woodworking duplicate your point would
be valid - but it is to create an *identical* newsgroup! No
difference. That benefits nobody. It is a bad idea and needs to be
rejected on that basis. If there is someone who wants to create a
valid and reasonable proposal (such as the original moderated proposal
only with a better moderation team) then *that* would be properly
handled the way you describe. Saying "let them do something wrong, bad
and injurious in a small way to our online world just to get them out
of our hair" is an irresponsible attitude.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

I agree whole heartedly. Don't cast a "what the heck" vote.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Tom Watson

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:57:34 -0700, Tim Douglass
wrote:

It is a bad idea and needs to be
rejected on that basis.

That's my thought, Tim - and I will vote accordingly.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Charlie Self

Half Step responds:

If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.

If you ever took a walk down the beach at Blacks or Trail 6 San O' you
would realize that God hadn't thought that one all the way through.

Yeah. After a certain age, you don't wanna be naked in front of yourself, fer
pete's sake.

Charlie Self
"Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles."
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
patrick conroy

On 30 Sep 2004 18:15:43 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Why don't you go check out alt.genealogy.methods for a good example of
a group created by someone who thought they had a better idea? Yes, it's
alt rather than rec., but it's the first example I can think of of a
group that was very vocally proposed and has since effectively died.

Sorry, Dave - I'm not following. And I'd prefer to not check out that
group instead I'd rather ask others (you) what you think happened.

I like to consider myself bright enough to change my mind if someone
"shows me the light".

I see newsgroups as dynamic - people come, people go. If I'm in the
Elks Club, I've got no beef about a Moose Lodge opening up across the
street.

How can something as inexhaustible as "participation in an internet
newsgroup" become diluted by another newsgroup? More power to them -
if it's any good, I'll join. If it's better, I'll switch.

And yes - there's some self-centered hypocrisy at work, on my part. I
didn't give a toot about Howard Stern until I had children myself.

Doug Miller

In article , patrick conroy wrote:

I see newsgroups as dynamic - people come, people go. If I'm in the
Elks Club, I've got no beef about a Moose Lodge opening up across the
street.

No, but you might beef about somebody trying to open up another Elks Club
right across the street. IMO that's a bit closer analogy.

--
Regards,

Dave Balderstone

In article , patrick conroy
wrote:

How can something as inexhaustible as "participation in an internet
newsgroup" become diluted by another newsgroup? More power to them -
if it's any good, I'll join. If it's better, I'll switch.

IMO the problem with the proposal is that it's simply a duplication of
the namespace with no mechanism to enforce the proposed "all-ages" part
of the proposal.

If they had stayed with the moderated proposal and found a group of
moderators that could be trusted I would have voted yes. As it stands,
the proposal makes no sense.

djb
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:08:05 GMT, patrick conroy
wrote:

I see newsgroups as dynamic - people come, people go. If I'm in the
Elks Club, I've got no beef about a Moose Lodge opening up across the
street.

How about one with a sign, "Christian Moose Lodge, for better people
that those sewer-dwelling mad dog Elks" ?

Ba r r y

wrote:

I see newsgroups as dynamic - people come, people go. If I'm in the
Elks Club, I've got no beef about a Moose Lodge opening up across the
street.

How about one with a sign, "Christian Moose Lodge, for better people
that those sewer-dwelling mad dog Elks" ?

Would that be the alcohol-free Elks? G

Barry
Tim Douglass

wrote:

I see newsgroups as dynamic - people come, people go. If I'm in the
Elks Club, I've got no beef about a Moose Lodge opening up across the
street.

How about one with a sign, "Christian Moose Lodge, for better people
that those sewer-dwelling mad dog Elks" ?

And under that a sign: "Everyone welcome to come in and hang out, even
those sewer-dwelling mad dog Elks across the street - and they are
welcome to talk and act here just as they do there".

Rec.woodworking.all-ages is *IDENTICAL* to the existing newsgroup.
There is *NO* difference other than the name. It is an ill-advised
attempt to create a moderated newsgroup without a moderator and
because it is badly planned and badly implemented it needs to be
rejected until such time as someone presents a proposal that is well
thought out and planned in such a way that it will meet the goals of
the proponents and be acceptable to the usenet community as well.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

patrick conroy

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 18:10:02 -0700, Tim Douglass
wrote:

Rec.woodworking.all-ages is *IDENTICAL* to the existing newsgroup.
There is *NO* difference other than the name. It is an ill-advised

Appreciate the food-for-thought. Which is *why* I like this place.

But, why just not let the market decide?
If the new newsgroup sucks, it will wither and die, right?

Did "Fox" dilute NBC, ABC, CBS?
Or was is generally accepted as a win for the TV viewing public(*)?

(*) NB: There's NOT much on Fox, that I'll watch. There's not much on
TV that I'll watch, but I think that's beside my (attempted) point.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:08:05 GMT, patrick conroy wrote:
On 30 Sep 2004 18:15:43 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Why don't you go check out alt.genealogy.methods for a good example of
a group created by someone who thought they had a better idea?

Sorry, Dave - I'm not following. And I'd prefer to not check out that
group instead I'd rather ask others (you) what you think happened.

Well, there's a group called soc.genealogy.methods, which is moderated.
The moderator (singular) had some availability problems and the group
sat idle for a while. One person (and her sock-puppet/s) who had
a grudge that goes back years against said moderator decided to make a
big deal about it, and went off and created alt.genealogy.methods with
the hope of it being a place to have those discussions but without the
'interference of an absentee moderator' or whatever her catch-phrase was.

The group was created (being in alt., it was just a matter of constructing
the correct cmsg's), and the group was there. But, there wasn't really
a _need_ for it other than the proponent having an opinion that wasn't
widely shared by participants in the group. To me, that's pretty similar
to the situation we have here.

I like to consider myself bright enough to change my mind if someone
"shows me the light".

Well, groups.google.com's archives of the group have it all, but I just
checked 12 articles at random, and didn't find _one_ message which
wasn't crosspsted to at least two other similar groups.

alt.genealogy.methods
I see newsgroups as dynamic - people come, people go. If I'm in the
Elks Club, I've got no beef about a Moose Lodge opening up across the
street.

Look at the posts, though; they're all crossposts to similar groups.
So, yes there's traffic, but it's all traffic that is on-topic to
_other_ groups. It is, in my opinion, a good example of what happens
when you have two (or more) groups with similar enough content that
people aren't going to decide which to post to, so they'll post to both.
By making it unmoderated, the "no crossposts", "no naughty language or OT
posts" and so on is going to be ineffective at best, and possibly
inviting trolling.

How can something as inexhaustible as "participation in an internet
newsgroup" become diluted by another newsgroup? More power to them -
if it's any good, I'll join. If it's better, I'll switch.

Maybe someday one of these un-needed divisions will work, but I haven't
seen it happen yet. I see "neutral at best" as an end result here,
which makes it hard to want to support it. The fact that the proponents
have been _so_ absent here discussing what they want to do and what the
real reasons are, makes me wonder what they're _really_ up to.

If they want our support, why aren't they here talking about it with us?

Dave Hinz

Dave Balderstone

In article , patrick conroy
wrote:

But, why just not let the market decide?
If the new newsgroup sucks, it will wither and die, right?

No, it will just whither. There's virtually no acceptable mechanism for
removing a newsgroup once it's been created, so the appropriate time to
do that is in the voting process.

The point of the RFD anc CFV process is for the proponent(s) of the new
group to lobby for support and build a consensus that the new group is
needed and will add something of value to usenet on its creation.

The proponents of this CFV have done the opposite, and now appear to be
actively avoiding any discussion.

As a result, creating the new group is unlikely to add any value.

I was seriously considering voting in favor of the mooderated proposal,
had the proponents put together a viable moderation team. They failed
to do so, and then pulled the moderation from their proposal. At that
point, the new group simply became an attempted duplication of the
existing wreck under a new name. No redeeming features whatsoever.

That's why I voted no.

Doug Miller

In article , patrick conroy wrote:

But, why just not let the market decide?
If the new newsgroup sucks, it will wither and die, right?

Yes, it will. And then it will sit there, occupying name space until the end
of time, collecting nothing but spam posts. It's *very* difficult to get rid
of a group once it's created.

Did "Fox" dilute NBC, ABC, CBS?
Or was is generally accepted as a win for the TV viewing public(*)?

Generally accepted as a win, IMO, but (again IMO) that was because it added
some variety to the existing fare. The proposed new newsgroup will add
nothing. And hence it's useless. Worse than useless, actually, for the reasons
I noted previously.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Woodchuck Bill wrote:
(J T) wrote in news:19640-415F7C97-191@storefull-
3152.bay.webtv.net:

So what if it has a
charter? With no moderator, how's a charter supposed to keep out the
trolls, and all?

Actually, remember when we had the Dizum.com invasion? IIRC, you were a
victim of those attacks, JOAT. Dizum said that they were willing to block
any newsgroup with a ban on remailers in their charter, but since the wreck
has no charter, they wouldn't block us.

Was it ever established that the message making that claim actually came from
Dizum? Around the same time, there was at least one other similar post,
purporting to be from Dizum, which was demonstrated to be bogus. It's worth
noting that neither their published abuse policy
https://ssl.dizum.com/help/abuse.html nor their mail-to-news gateway page
https://ssl.dizum.com/help/mail2news.html makes any mention of this supposed
policy.

In any event, Dizum is only one of a host of anonymous remailers. If a troll
finds his access through Dizum to be shut down, so what? He'll just find
another group.

And Google might as well be an anonymous remailer. Anybody can open a hotmail
or yahoo account, use that ID to sign up with Google, and post any trash he
pleases. Google will respond, eventually, to complaints of abuse, but all they
do [in fact, all they *can* do] is shut off the Google Groups account
involved. They don't/won't/can't prevent the culprit from immediately opening
up another Google Groups account using a different email address from hotmail
or yahoo.

I noticed that the soft wreck has a
clear ban on remailer posts in the proposed charter, so Dizum would
probably block that group if it were to be created.

... If, in fact, that is actually Dizum's policy, a proposition that is not
supported by Dizum's published "standards", such as they are.

But as noted above, Dizum is only one way, of many, by which trolls gain
access to newsgroups. Even if Dizum shuts him/them off, that won't keep
him/it/them out.

Thus, this argument in favor of the proposed new group holds no water.

Charters also matter to
Ebay auctions too. Ebay does act on Usenet charter violations.

Yep, and IMO that alone is sufficient reason to vote NO. What's the problem
with occasional posts such as "FA: 3HP 10-inch blurfl" with a link to the
eBay auction page?

I agree that most ISPs will not act on charter violations, but there are a
few examples above of entities that will act, and who knows what the future
will bring.

Some will, I imagine. And the charter of the proposed new group would outlaw
*any* postings offering *anything* for sale or trade. That's a very, very bad
idea IMO.

For the record, I abstained on the soft wreck vote.

And for the record, I voted NO.

--
Regards,

Woodchuck Bill

Actually, remember when we had the Dizum.com invasion? IIRC, you were
a victim of those attacks, JOAT. Dizum said that they were willing to
block any newsgroup with a ban on remailers in their charter, but
since the wreck has no charter, they wouldn't block us. I noticed that
the soft wreck has a clear ban on remailer posts in the proposed
charter, so Dizum would probably block that group if it were to be
created.

Here is a link to the Dizum response to Bob S.

http://tinyurl.com/2ahms

--
Bill
Doug Miller

In article , Woodchuck Bill wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
om:

Thus, this argument in favor of the proposed new group holds no water

I was not arguing in favor of the new group. I did not vote "yes". I was
pointing out to JOAT that there are some instances where a charter can
matter.

And my point was that this is not one of them; at least not one in which the
charter can make a *beneficial* difference.

Even granting the somewhat dubious assumption that the charter would cause
Dizum to block access through *their* mail-to-news gateway,
1) many other similar gateways exist, and\
2) it's still wide-open through Google.

And the proposed charter, if enforced, would shut off *all* commercial posts,
no matter how limited in frequency, including posts which many of us find to
be of benefit.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Woodchuck Bill wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
om:

Charters also matter to
Ebay auctions too. Ebay does act on Usenet charter violations.

Yep, and IMO that alone is sufficient reason to vote NO. What's the
problem with occasional posts such as "FA: 3HP 10-inch blurfl" with a
link to the eBay auction page?

I don't have a problem with Ebay posts here, but you just clarified that
charters can have some bearing. That was my point.

I never said that charters didn't have any bearing, just that in this case at
least, the only discernible effects the charter would have are negative.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Woodchuck Bill wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
. com:

And the proposed charter, if enforced, would shut off *all* commercial
posts, no matter how limited in frequency, including posts which many
of us find to be of benefit.

Why does that bother you if you have no plans to use the group?

The point being that creation of the new group has numerous negative aspects
(which have been cited ad nauseum in earlier posts, by myself and many others)
and I'm arguing that the charter does not, in fact, provide any discernible
positive aspects which would counterbalance the negatives. Thus the creation
of the new group has an overall negative effect.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Woodchuck Bill wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
.com:

I never said that charters didn't have any bearing, just that in this
case at least, the only discernible effects the charter would have are
negative.

They would not be perceived as negative by those in favor of the
inclusions. Again. my point was just to demonstrate to JOAT that charters
can have some bearing..I agree not much, but *some*.

If by "some" you mean "only infinitesimally greater than zero" I guess I'd
have to agree.

In the only aspect that is likely to make much difference to JOAT, that would
have to be *none*, not "some". As I pointed out, closing off one mail-to-news
gateway of the hundreds that exist not only won't stop the troll(s), it won't
even slow them down very much.

--
Regards,

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:07:38 GMT, patrick conroy
calmly ranted:

wrote:

Rec.woodworking.all-ages is *IDENTICAL* to the existing newsgroup.
There is *NO* difference other than the name. It is an ill-advised

Appreciate the food-for-thought. Which is *why* I like this place.

Someone doesn't like the OT chatter so they want to start a new
group and that's "ill-advised"? (NOTE: Buzzword used.)

But, why just not let the market decide?
If the new newsgroup sucks, it will wither and die, right?

RIGHT! Instead, these guys want to stop it from happening even
though they won't be participating. I'm amazed at the answers
some of these folks are giving in an attempt to justify their
closed-mindedness. I view it as an additional "channel". Why
can't they? Feh! Children.

Did "Fox" dilute NBC, ABC, CBS?
Or was is generally accepted as a win for the TV viewing public(*)?

C - Both of the above. The second WB and Fox came online, I went
to watch some of the new shows that the other networks didn't
have. Occasionally, it made me choose between an existing show
and the new one. Usually, though, it was an addition since the
crap on the other networks wasn't worth watching anyway.

(*) NB: There's NOT much on Fox, that I'll watch. There's not much on
TV that I'll watch, but I think that's beside my (attempted) point.

Grok that.

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------

Woodchuck Bill

Larry Jaques wrote in
news
I'm amazed at the answers
some of these folks are giving in an attempt to justify their
closed-mindedness.

I fully agree. I've read some serious rationalizations here by a few.

--
Bill

Prometheus

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:49:07 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , patrick conroy
wrote:

But, why just not let the market decide?
If the new newsgroup sucks, it will wither and die, right?

Because the "market" will cause dozens of crossposts a day, and both
groups will have to be gone through to follow a single thread of
interest.

No, it will just whither. There's virtually no acceptable mechanism for
removing a newsgroup once it's been created, so the appropriate time to
do that is in the voting process.

Right. There are a lot of newsgroups that should be called
dried.up.hunks.of.spam instead of the name they give.

The point of the RFD anc CFV process is for the proponent(s) of the new
group to lobby for support and build a consensus that the new group is
needed and will add something of value to usenet on its creation.

The proponents of this CFV have done the opposite, and now appear to be
actively avoiding any discussion.

As a result, creating the new group is unlikely to add any value.

Agreed. The only way I'd vote yes for it is if it had a moderator.

I was seriously considering voting in favor of the mooderated proposal,
had the proponents put together a viable moderation team. They failed
to do so, and then pulled the moderation from their proposal. At that
point, the new group simply became an attempted duplication of the
existing wreck under a new name. No redeeming features whatsoever.

That's why I voted no.

Woodchuck Bill

Prometheus wrote in
:

Because the "market" will cause dozens of crossposts a day, and both
groups will have to be gone through to follow a single thread of
interest.

Crossposting to the wreck is explicitly banned by the charter of the
soft wreck, IIRC.

Lemme check the proposal.....

Yep.

"In general, crossposting
is not encouraged. If you feel the need to crosspost between
rec.woodworking.all-ages and another newsgroup, please only do it if the
post is on-topic to all groups in the crosspost. Please limit crossposts
to a maximum of two or three groups, and set follow-ups to a single
group if you must crosspost. Posts should never be crossposted between
rec.woodworking.all-ages and rec.woodworking under any circumstances."

--
Bill
LRod

On 5 Oct 2004 01:19:30 GMT, Woodchuck Bill wrote:

Prometheus wrote in
:

Because the "market" will cause dozens of crossposts a day, and both
groups will have to be gone through to follow a single thread of
interest.

Crossposting to the wreck is explicitly banned by the charter of the
soft wreck, IIRC.

Lemme check the proposal.....

Yep.

"In general, crossposting
is not encouraged. If you feel the need to crosspost between
rec.woodworking.all-ages and another newsgroup, please only do it if the
post is on-topic to all groups in the crosspost. Please limit crossposts
to a maximum of two or three groups, and set follow-ups to a single
group if you must crosspost. Posts should never be crossposted between
rec.woodworking.all-ages and rec.woodworking under any circumstances."

So what happens if someone does? They get sent to the principal's
office?

Talk about toothless paper. There's only one sensible vote: NO.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod

wrote:

Rec.woodworking.all-ages is *IDENTICAL* to the existing newsgroup.
There is *NO* difference other than the name. It is an ill-advised

Appreciate the food-for-thought. Which is *why* I like this place.

Someone doesn't like the OT chatter so they want to start a new
group and that's "ill-advised"? (NOTE: Buzzword used.)

Not just a new group. An IDENTICAL group, save for the name. There's
no mechanism to and no explanation as to how the new group would
prevent OT chatter. Ill-advised is exactly the right word.

But, why just not let the market decide?
If the new newsgroup sucks, it will wither and die, right?

RIGHT!

Unfortunately, once the new newsgroup is determined to suck and the
traffic withers and dies the mechanism stays forever and irretrievably
in place, taking up cyberspace for no good reason.

Instead, these guys want to stop it from happening even
though they won't be participating.

Why wouldn't you want to prevent that from happening?

I'm amazed at the answers some of these folks are giving in
an attempt to justify their closed-mindedness. I view it as an
additional "channel". Why can't they?

Because it's not. It's essentially a mirror of the wreck. What purpose
does it serve? What function can it perform but to confuse and then
eventually just take up space.

Feh! Children.

Ah, now we're down to ad hominem attacks. That's your "attempt to
justify [your] closed-mindedness." Why not just invoke the feuhrer's
name and get it over with?

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Dave Balderstone

In article , LRod
wrote:

Unfortunately, once the new newsgroup is determined to suck and the
traffic withers and dies the mechanism stays forever and irretrievably
in place, taking up cyberspace for no good reason.

And continues to confuse new people, who will have none of the history
as to why the whithered group was created in the first place.

If the proponents had had the balls to stick to their moderated group
proposal and address the concerns raised about the abilities and
stability of the moderation team and mechanisms I probably would have
voted yes.

I told one of the proponents that in an email that never got a reply.

Why are they afraid to confront criticism and address it?

The proposal doesn't deserve a yes vote, IMO, for just those reasons.