patrick conroy

On 30 Sep 2004 18:15:43 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Why don't you go check out alt.genealogy.methods for a good example of
a group created by someone who thought they had a better idea? Yes, it's
alt rather than rec., but it's the first example I can think of of a
group that was very vocally proposed and has since effectively died.

Sorry, Dave - I'm not following. And I'd prefer to not check out that
group instead I'd rather ask others (you) what you think happened.

I like to consider myself bright enough to change my mind if someone
"shows me the light".

I see newsgroups as dynamic - people come, people go. If I'm in the
Elks Club, I've got no beef about a Moose Lodge opening up across the
street.

How can something as inexhaustible as "participation in an internet
newsgroup" become diluted by another newsgroup? More power to them -
if it's any good, I'll join. If it's better, I'll switch.

And yes - there's some self-centered hypocrisy at work, on my part. I
didn't give a toot about Howard Stern until I had children myself.