Charlie Self

Default OT--slightly anyway, what gives with used laptops

For shooting photos out of my own shop, I'm slowly running up on a need for a
method of viewing the shots more fully at the scene.

So I started checking used laptop prices, and keep running into a sort of price
settling at $700 ($699 plus shipping) to $800 ($799 plus shipping). Checking
these out, I find 6, 8, 10 or 12 gig hard drives, Pentium IIIs, max of 128 megs
of RAM, few details on USB, lots of CD readers and DVD readers, screens in the
12" range.

Just for kicks, I thought I'd check the Dell site, since I've gotten good value
from my desktop Dell. Here we go: several of their 1150 models, with Pentium
IV, quarter to a half gig of RAM, 20 or 30 or 40 gig hard drive, 14+" screen,
CDRW, bunch of other handy stuff, plus XP loaded. Prices start at about $825.

Do these smaller outfits have rocks in their heads or are they out there hoping
to catch the ever unwary? Add 25 bucks to their prices and get a hard drive
that is 4-5 times as large, double or triple the RAM, a faster CPU and a
burner, plus other features and they expect to sell stuff.

Amazing.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
Han

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote in
:

[...]

I think the screen of a simple laptop is half or more of the cost. Dell
by virtue (grin of their size gets a good price on their screens (and
they are good screens). You have to watch out for all the crap that gets
loaded onto Dell computers at the factory, though. IMO, it is not a bad
idea to wipe the drive and start from scratch (YMMV).

Why do you want a laptop anyway? If you get a small desktop, it is almost
as mobile for an occasional trip in your car, and MUCH cheaper for the
features.
--
Best regards
Han
Clif

The reason used laptops go for that price is that people generally paid
double for them and they dont realize or dont want to realize that what they
paid $1500 for, or even $800 as recently as 6 months ago, is no longer worth
that price.

The main cause of this was influx of processors last year with increased
speeds. Intel, for example, produced processors so fast with increasing
speeds, even most of the manufacturers couldnt keep up. Thus desktop
computers and yes, even laptops have prices have fallen drastically.

Case in point, I bought a laptop in '01, paid $1300 for the laptop and then
another few hundered for accessories like a network interface, external CD
Burner, etc. I needed something faster so I bought a new laptop (they can
only be expanded so much). When I went to sell mine, they were $800-$900
new for something better. I couldnt see letting it go for even half what I
paid for it, so I finally just gave it to a family member. I got my use out
of it, so that was that.

Computers are a lot like your ww tools in respect, that if it sounds too
good to be true, it probably is. Also remember this...Any thing is worth
what someone will pay for it.

Ok, that is enough rambling from the geek who wants to do more hands on work
with wood

Good luck in your search for the new PC/LAPTOP

Clif

Most people say being insane is bad... I see it as having the opportunity to
be unique from the mundane lifestyle forced on us by society

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
[...]

Bob G.

Why do you want a laptop anyway? If you get a small desktop, it is almost
as mobile for an occasional trip in your car, and MUCH cheaper for the
features.

The small Size of a laptop is why I use one in my shop... I can store
it in a small dust free drawer when not in use...

To use it all I need to do is remove it from the drawer and place it
on my workbench, drill press table, tablesaw top or where ever I
wish... Battery live is good for a few hours but grabbing the power
cord and plugging it in is sure not a big deal... with a wireless
connection the laptop is just so much more convient for shop use then
a desktop...

Just works much better for me...

Bob Griffiths

Swingman

"Clif" wrote in message
The reason used laptops go for that price is that people generally paid
double for them and they dont realize or dont want to realize that what

they
paid $1500 for, or even $800 as recently as 6 months ago, is no longer

worth
that price.

Nope, the reason they are that price is that ****heads will "win" them on
eBay for that price.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Do these smaller outfits have rocks in their heads or are they out there

hoping
to catch the ever unwary? Add 25 bucks to their prices and get a hard

drive
that is 4-5 times as large, double or triple the RAM, a faster CPU and a
burner, plus other features and they expect to sell stuff.

Just be aware of Dell's shtick ... although good equipment, they lowball
the price on a basic system that sounds real good, but will barely run
today's bloated software, then the add-on's escalate until you are paying
top dollar any way. They also load the machines down with junk offers to the
point that you are better off re-formatting and starting over.

Used to be you could get a good, used laptop locally, and you still can if
you can run across a seller who hasn't discovered, or doesn't want to take
the time to deal with, eBay.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

patrick conroy

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

For shooting photos out of my own shop, I'm slowly running up on a need
for a
method of viewing the shots more fully at the scene.

So I started checking used laptop prices, and keep running into a sort of
price
settling at $700 ($699 plus shipping) to $800 ($799 plus shipping).
Checking
these out, I find 6, 8, 10 or 12 gig hard drives, Pentium IIIs, max of 128
megs
of RAM, few details on USB, lots of CD readers and DVD readers, screens in
the
12" range.

Denial? Refusal to believe that something you paid several thousand dollars
for a few years ago is now "worthless"?
Still agreed - it's all abouth the price. Price those for a few hunnert and
they'd probably get some more takers.

By the way, this question popped into my head a few years ago: Is there any
other product, besides computers, where the price decline is a rapid when
there's no degradation in performance?

For example - my 33MHz 486 box still performs as well as it did the day I
bought it. Yet, it went from $3000 in 1992 to effectively zero several years
later. Any other product in the history of economics have a similar
profile?

Charlie Self

Han asks:

Why do you want a laptop anyway? If you get a small desktop, it is almost
as mobile for an occasional trip in your car, and MUCH cheaper for the
features.

You're kidding, right? I go to a spot to shoot photos and set up a desktop
computer to review them there? In some cases, I'll be shooting where no power
is available except for what I cart along. A laptop is ideal for that. Even the
smallest desktop I've ever had is a PITA to set up and tear down comparatively
speaking.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self

Clif responds:

Computers are a lot like your ww tools in respect, that if it sounds too
good to be true, it probably is. Also remember this...Any thing is worth
what someone will pay for it.

Ok, that is enough rambling from the geek who wants to do more hands on work
with wood

Good luck in your search for the new PC/LAPTOP

Point being, though, is that these are ALL used laptops. The stuff Dell offers,
and my past experience with Dell, for almost the same bucks makes me doubt the
sanity of the smaller outfits. Their pricing is way out of line. In fact, I can
buy a better new Dell for just a few hundred bucks more.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill

Charlie Self

Swing responds:

"Clif" wrote in message
The reason used laptops go for that price is that people generally paid
double for them and they dont realize or dont want to realize that what

they
paid $1500 for, or even $800 as recently as 6 months ago, is no longer

worth
that price.

Nope, the reason they are that price is that ****heads will "win" them on
eBay for that price.

True. Has anyone ever figured out WTF is going on with "winning" something you
pay for? And often pay an inflated price for, to boot. I wonder if many of
these people do their homework before giggling at the 'great deal' and firing
off a CC number.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self

Swingman writes:

Just be aware of Dell's shtick ... although good equipment, they lowball
the price on a basic system that sounds real good, but will barely run
today's bloated software, then the add-on's escalate until you are paying
top dollar any way. They also load the machines down with junk offers to the
point that you are better off re-formatting and starting over.

So far, so good. I'm running an 18 month old Dimension 8300 that has a few
extras--gig of RAM, 120 gig hard drive, that sort of stuff. My only problem has
been the CD burner, which went out. The guy in India wanted me to reformat my
hard drive to correct that, but after a week or so of back-and-forth, a local
Dell tech showed up and replaced it.

Used to be you could get a good, used laptop locally, and you still can if
you can run across a seller who hasn't discovered, or doesn't want to take
the time to deal with, eBay

May still be possible. There's a place in town I haven't had time to check yet.
Laptops from $299. My experience with these guys, though, is they're mostly
selling 386 and 486 technology, or want near new prices. I think they hope to
catch the more recent Yankees, retiring here from NY, NJ & CT prices.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self

Patrick Conroy asks:

By the way, this question popped into my head a few years ago: Is there any
other product, besides computers, where the price decline is a rapid when
there's no degradation in performance?

For example - my 33MHz 486 box still performs as well as it did the day I
bought it. Yet, it went from $3000 in 1992 to effectively zero several years
later. Any other product in the history of economics have a similar
profile?

Possibly, and it's still a bit too early to tell, digital cameras and cell
phones.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
BruceR

Han wrote:

I think the screen of a simple laptop is half or more of the cost. Dell
by virtue (grin of their size gets a good price on their screens (and
they are good screens). You have to watch out for all the crap that gets
loaded onto Dell computers at the factory, though. IMO, it is not a bad
idea to wipe the drive and start from scratch (YMMV).

Why do you want a laptop anyway? If you get a small desktop, it is almost
as mobile for an occasional trip in your car, and MUCH cheaper for the
features.

My company bought me a Dell laptop for some special work needs and let
me pick from a list. Generally laptop LCDs suck, especially the bigger
ones. Anyhoo, after seeing/using some of the 15" powerbooks I had
thought laptop LCDs had finally become perfected. I ordered the best LCD
option Dell had (was going to run X86 Linux so I couldn't get a
powerbook). The thing is terrible! Sitting directly in from of the
screen (a 15"), the edges are very dark. Move my head to brighten up the
view of the edge and the other edge goes black. Same effect on other
Dell laptops in the building, 'cept everyone accepts this as normal.

Back to Charlie's question, have you considered a PDA? IF you really
just need a bigger screen to see camera photos, some of these PDA's will
work fine (test them before buying). Another option would be a small LCD
for a computer or even a small color TV set. Many cameras have NTSC
video out that can directly drive the "video" inputs on TV's and
properly equipped LCD displays.

-BR

Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

So far, so good. I'm running an 18 month old Dimension 8300 that has a few
extras--gig of RAM, 120 gig hard drive, that sort of stuff. My only

problem has
been the CD burner, which went out. The guy in India wanted me to reformat

my
hard drive to correct that, but after a week or so of back-and-forth, a

local
Dell tech showed up and replaced it.

Back in June I bought my youngest a Dell 5150 Inspiron laptop for college.
By the time I got finished with the "upgrades" to insure decent performance,
the price went from a base of $1100 to about $1800, then the "hazard"
insurance/extended warranty (for college dorm life and far from home, I
figured I'd be better off hedging that bet and being a sucker for once)
added close to another $300 to that ... and, after using it, it has become
apparent (to me, at least) that I still didn't get enough memory for the
damn thing.

I've probably owned 6 laptops in the past 12 years, and that is the first
one I've not bought used. Personally, I've gone back to using a desktop in
a, likely out-of-step, effort to return to more Luddite ways.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

BruceR

Charlie Self wrote:

May still be possible. There's a place in town I haven't had time to check yet.
Laptops from $299. My experience with these guys, though, is they're mostly
selling 386 and 486 technology, or want near new prices. I think they hope to
catch the more recent Yankees, retiring here from NY, NJ & CT prices.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill

The local college auctions always have a dozen or so laptops (486 class,
sometimes better) that usually go for $5-$20. Deals are out there, it
just depends if you want to kill a day to save a few hundred bucks and
not feel ripped off on ebay :^)

-BR

JohnT.

I'm using a compaq I bought new at Xmas time on a "special" sale that
was $700 after rebates at my local CompUSA. 15" screen, 30gig HD,
DVD/CD-R, etc, etc. Maybe you need to look around some more, wait for
sales, etc.
Also, go to the stores to check out prices, they don't always advertise
the low end machines.

John

Leon

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

True. Has anyone ever figured out WTF is going on with "winning" something
you
pay for?

ROTFLMAO... No kidding,,, I must be real lucky as I have won monthly bills
and yearly taxes.

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Charlie Self wrote:
[...]

My daughter wanted a laptop for her last birthday. At 8 years old I
couldn't see spending big bucks so I checked the used market. I
found an IBM Thinkpad PII/233 with modem, CDROM, & floppy, 8GB, for
around $250 including shipping. The only problem is the included battery
was weak, lasting only about 1/2 hour. I can't remember the name of
the company I bought it from offhand, but I found it after a short
amount of web searching.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Charlie Self

JohnT writes:

I'm using a compaq I bought new at Xmas time on a "special" sale that
was $700 after rebates at my local CompUSA. 15" screen, 30gig HD,
DVD/CD-R, etc, etc. Maybe you need to look around some more, wait for
sales, etc.

I've got time yet. Helluva lot more of that than money. I don't need the
machine this year, even, but need to have it ready to go about February or
March.

I don't need a 15" screen, either, which is why I'm looking at used laptops,
but there's no way I'm paying 65% of new prices for a machine that has to be 3
years old. And that seems to be what a great many of the used sellers are
asking.

As I said, I haven't had time to check locally, but I'm positive that within a
dozen miles, there's only one such store (there's one in Bedford and it's a
dozen miles from my house to there).

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
patrick conroy

"BruceR" wrote in message

Hookers?

[ big ]

Jay

Charlie,

You might want to consider using a TV instead. My sony camera outputs
to a TV using a 3.5" walkman type plug on one end and RCA plugs on the
other. Check your manual, you might be able to do the same.

Jay

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message ...
[...]

mp

So I started checking used laptop prices, and keep running into a sort of
price
settling at $700 ($699 plus shipping) to $800 ($799 plus shipping).

Checking
these out, I find 6, 8, 10 or 12 gig hard drives, Pentium IIIs, max of 128

megs
of RAM, few details on USB, lots of CD readers and DVD readers, screens in

the
12" range.

A lot of the used notebooks for sale are refurbished off-lease units,
usually 2 or 3 years old. My company (reluctantly) sells these from time to
time, but at prices 1/3 to 1/2 less than you've quoted. I don't know how
much shopping around you've done but you should be able to do much better.

One thing to keep in mind is that used notebooks typically come with a 30 or
90 only warranty, and a battery that is near the end of it's lifecycle. If
you have the need for more than a half hour or so of battery run time you'll
need to spend a couple of bills on a replacement battery, which may be tough
to source.

With new notebooks so cheap these days it doesn't make much sense to buy
used unless you can get an exceptional deal. Even then, when you add up the
cost of a replacement battery and larger hard drive, you're in the ballpark
of a new unit anyway (which gives you a bigger screen, much faster processor
and graphics, more ram, better battery life, and a longer warranty).

Steve Knight

You're kidding, right? I go to a spot to shoot photos and set up a desktop
computer to review them there? In some cases, I'll be shooting where no power
is available except for what I cart along. A laptop is ideal for that. Even the
smallest desktop I've ever had is a PITA to set up and tear down comparatively
speaking.

what may work for you is a PDA. you can view pics on it and keep it in your
pocket. the only hard part is matching it to the camera memory. what memory does
the camera use?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

patriarch

"Swingman" wrote in
:
snip

I've probably owned 6 laptops in the past 12 years, and that is the
first one I've not bought used. Personally, I've gone back to using a
desktop in a, likely out-of-step, effort to return to more Luddite
ways.

This commment shows, I guess, how far we've come, when a desktop user feels
he's a Luddite. ;-)

So, what's the proper OS for a Neander computer user? ;-)

Patriarch,
who really appreciates the bigger screen on the desktop.
BruceR

patriarch wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in
:
snip

I've probably owned 6 laptops in the past 12 years, and that is the
first one I've not bought used. Personally, I've gone back to using a
desktop in a, likely out-of-step, effort to return to more Luddite
ways.

This commment shows, I guess, how far we've come, when a desktop user feels
he's a Luddite. ;-)

So, what's the proper OS for a Neander computer user? ;-)

The OS is the power tool of computers. The Neander computer provides
memory for instruction/data storage and a processor that understands
basic machine codes to manipulate the data according to the provided
instructions. What more would a Neander need? Of course some would argue
that having a processor follow your instructions and manipulate your
data is akin to a power tool so the true Neander who makes his own
woodworking tools should also by definition make his own processor by
hand coding an FPGA or actually building a bit slice.

-BR

Patriarch,
who really appreciates the bigger screen on the desktop.

Ray Aldridge

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:53:06 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

For shooting photos out of my own shop, I'm slowly running up on a need for a
method of viewing the shots more fully at the scene.

Have you tried retrobox.com ? I recently bought a retread PC from them
that's been fine, and they also carry laptops. You may have to replace
the battery of any laptop that's a few years old, but they have machines
that would do what you want for not too much. As an example, today I saw
a PIII 650 Dell Latitude for $317 plus shipping.

Clif

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Point being, though, is that these are ALL used laptops. The stuff Dell

offers,
and my past experience with Dell, for almost the same bucks makes me doubt

the
sanity of the smaller outfits. Their pricing is way out of line. In fact,

I can
buy a better new Dell for just a few hundred bucks more.

Overhead. Dell has HUGE benefits being that they buy in bulk, mass produce,
etc etc etc
the small guys dont have those advantages. Sometimes they can cut great
deals, but they cant match Dell.

Clif

Swingman

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article , patriarch
says...
So, what's the proper OS for a Neander computer user? ;-)

DOS 3.1 of course.

Unless OS/MFT or Multics will fit on a desktop :-).

.... or just load up whatever Babbage was using.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Charlie Self

Steve Knight asks:

what may work for you is a PDA. you can view pics on it and keep it in your
pocket. the only hard part is matching it to the camera memory. what memory
does
the camera use?

Compact flash. That really shouldn't be a hard match. I'll have to check.
You're the second one listing PDAs. I'll see if I can locate one that might be
suitable for viewing and storage.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self

Larry Blanchard asks:

Charlie, do you remember the "lunchbox" computers? Nobody sells them
anymore, but at least a couple of years ago you could buy a case with
the (small) CRT and build your own. I don't know about battery-powered,
but with a converter you could plug it in to your car/truck lighter.

Sounds familiar. My first computer was a 'portable' Kaypro 1, but that little
thing weighed something like 22 pounds. I did cart it along a couple times,
which may be why I wear a 36" sleeve these days.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
mp

Charlie, do you remember the "lunchbox" computers? Nobody sells them
anymore, but at least a couple of years ago you could buy a case with
the (small) CRT and build your own. I don't know about battery-powered,
but with a converter you could plug it in to your car/truck lighter.

You can buy small form factor PC's these days. They're about the size of a
loaf of bread. Load them up with whatever components you want, and you have
an ultra quiet high-powered portable system. Customers have put them into
their boats, RV's, etc.

mp

So, what's the proper OS for a Neander computer user? ;-)

Abacus.

Charlie Self

mp responds:

Charlie, do you remember the "lunchbox" computers? Nobody sells them
anymore, but at least a couple of years ago you could buy a case with
the (small) CRT and build your own. I don't know about battery-powered,
but with a converter you could plug it in to your car/truck lighter.

You can buy small form factor PC's these days. They're about the size of a
loaf of bread. Load them up with whatever components you want, and you have
an ultra quiet high-powered portable system. Customers have put them into
their boats, RV's, etc.

Yeah, well...I really, really don't want to get into building computers again.
I built something like 5. That's enough.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self

Rich Chamberlain responds:
I'd vote against the PDA, primarily because the size of the screen isn't
that much bigger than your camera's LCD display.

A good laptop will afford you lots of download capabilities, not to
mention the ability to edit as needed.

Besides - a high end PDA puts you at $450-500 anyway...

Yeah, I agree. I did a quick check after Steve's post, and discovered there
doesn't seem to be much there, really, that would be helpful. I don't NEED to
do on-screen editing on-site, but it would be nice if possible; a 20 gig hard
drive is probably bottom end for a couple day's shooting, what with other
things that are going to be on there, and USB is essential...I've got an extra
120 gig hard drive that uses USB 2. I can dump most of what's on that and stay
out for a month!

Too, the laptop is handy when I'm out of the office but need to meet deadlines
on articles, something I've avoided to date.