Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

So far, so good. I'm running an 18 month old Dimension 8300 that has a few
extras--gig of RAM, 120 gig hard drive, that sort of stuff. My only

problem has
been the CD burner, which went out. The guy in India wanted me to reformat

my
hard drive to correct that, but after a week or so of back-and-forth, a

local
Dell tech showed up and replaced it.

Back in June I bought my youngest a Dell 5150 Inspiron laptop for college.
By the time I got finished with the "upgrades" to insure decent performance,
the price went from a base of $1100 to about $1800, then the "hazard"
insurance/extended warranty (for college dorm life and far from home, I
figured I'd be better off hedging that bet and being a sucker for once)
added close to another $300 to that ... and, after using it, it has become
apparent (to me, at least) that I still didn't get enough memory for the
damn thing.

I've probably owned 6 laptops in the past 12 years, and that is the first
one I've not bought used. Personally, I've gone back to using a desktop in
a, likely out-of-step, effort to return to more Luddite ways.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04