BruceR

Han wrote:

I think the screen of a simple laptop is half or more of the cost. Dell
by virtue (grin of their size gets a good price on their screens (and
they are good screens). You have to watch out for all the crap that gets
loaded onto Dell computers at the factory, though. IMO, it is not a bad
idea to wipe the drive and start from scratch (YMMV).

Why do you want a laptop anyway? If you get a small desktop, it is almost
as mobile for an occasional trip in your car, and MUCH cheaper for the
features.

My company bought me a Dell laptop for some special work needs and let
me pick from a list. Generally laptop LCDs suck, especially the bigger
ones. Anyhoo, after seeing/using some of the 15" powerbooks I had
thought laptop LCDs had finally become perfected. I ordered the best LCD
option Dell had (was going to run X86 Linux so I couldn't get a
powerbook). The thing is terrible! Sitting directly in from of the
screen (a 15"), the edges are very dark. Move my head to brighten up the
view of the edge and the other edge goes black. Same effect on other
Dell laptops in the building, 'cept everyone accepts this as normal.

Back to Charlie's question, have you considered a PDA? IF you really
just need a bigger screen to see camera photos, some of these PDA's will
work fine (test them before buying). Another option would be a small LCD
for a computer or even a small color TV set. Many cameras have NTSC
video out that can directly drive the "video" inputs on TV's and
properly equipped LCD displays.

-BR