patrick conroy

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

For shooting photos out of my own shop, I'm slowly running up on a need
for a
method of viewing the shots more fully at the scene.

So I started checking used laptop prices, and keep running into a sort of
price
settling at $700 ($699 plus shipping) to $800 ($799 plus shipping).
Checking
these out, I find 6, 8, 10 or 12 gig hard drives, Pentium IIIs, max of 128
megs
of RAM, few details on USB, lots of CD readers and DVD readers, screens in
the
12" range.

Denial? Refusal to believe that something you paid several thousand dollars
for a few years ago is now "worthless"?
Still agreed - it's all abouth the price. Price those for a few hunnert and
they'd probably get some more takers.

By the way, this question popped into my head a few years ago: Is there any
other product, besides computers, where the price decline is a rapid when
there's no degradation in performance?

For example - my 33MHz 486 box still performs as well as it did the day I
bought it. Yet, it went from $3000 in 1992 to effectively zero several years
later. Any other product in the history of economics have a similar
profile?