Wally

Default Another great tool company (Milwaukee) going down the drain

To all,

Just got the following email from Milwaukee (I'm part of their Heavy
Duty Club)... Well, it all depends on how this new acquisition will
affect their operations but I hope it won't affect the quality of
their producs...

Arrrgh, I bet in a few years from now, they will be all from the same
company...

Wally

To all Milwaukee Heavy Duty Club Members:

We have great news to share!

Milwaukee Electric Tool is being acquired by Techtronic Industries Co.
Ltd. (TTI), the world's fastest growing power tool manufacturer.
Although you may not have heard about TTI, you're probably familiar
with some of the brand name products owned by TTI, like Ryobi power
tools, Homelite outdoor power equipment and Royal and Dirt Devil
vacuum cleaners and floor care appliances.

Joining forces with TTI will allow us to share TTI's research and
development facilities. That means we'll have even more engineering
and manufacturing expertise to draw on in order to produce the
innovative products that you've come to expect from Milwaukee.

We currently employ more than 2,000 people and have four manufacturing
plants in Wisconsin, Mississippi and Arkansas, making Milwaukee the
only power tool manufacturer with the majority of its tool production
in the U.S. Our team will now join forces with TTI North America,
which employs 1,800 people in Ohio and South Carolina.

Our products will continue to carry the familiar Milwaukee brand and
you'll be able to buy the tools and accessories you need from your
favorite retailer or distributor.

At Milwaukee, we're proud of our 80 years of dedicated service to
professional power tool users. The product and service levels that
you've come to expect from Milwaukee will be the same - if not better
- in the years ahead. As we begin this next chapter, we thank you for
your continued support and invite you to keep sending us ideas on how
to make Milwaukee power tools and accessories even better.

We fully expect to become a stronger company as a result of this
acquisition. This should translate into even more high-quality,
innovative power tool and accessory systems from Milwaukee.

Thank you for owning and using Milwaukee Electric power tools.

Sincerely,

Dan Perry, President
Milwaukee Electric Tool

mp

We currently employ more than 2,000 people and have four manufacturing
plants in Wisconsin, Mississippi and Arkansas, making Milwaukee the
only power tool manufacturer with the majority of its tool production
in the U.S. Our team will now join forces with TTI North America,
which employs 1,800 people in Ohio and South Carolina.

Interestingly enough, Dan didn't say if they'll continue with mostly
domestic tool production.

Dave Balderstone

In article , mp wrote:

Interestingly enough, Dan didn't say if they'll continue with mostly
domestic tool production.

" Our team will now join forces with TTI North America, which employs
1,800 people in Ohio and South Carolina." is sufficiently vague, isn't
it?

Betcha somewhere in the neighborhoood of 1,500 layoffs in the next 12
months.

djb
RonB

Yeah - This is worth watching. I own some older Ryobi that is pretty decent
equipment, but I don't think they are getting any better.

Another tool engineering department run by accoutants?

Phisherman

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 17:22:54 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , mp wrote:

Interestingly enough, Dan didn't say if they'll continue with mostly
domestic tool production.

" Our team will now join forces with TTI North America, which employs
1,800 people in Ohio and South Carolina." is sufficiently vague, isn't
it?

Betcha somewhere in the neighborhoood of 1,500 layoffs in the next 12
months.

djb

I bet too there will be layoffs. When two companies combine, there
will be redundancy with people jobs. I just hope the Milwaukee brand
retains their high standards and quality. I have a Sawzall and corded
Milwaukee drill that are very well built.

Hey Bush. Where are the WMDs? Where are you hiding your military
service records?? And, where are all those jobs you promised (legal)
Americans???

Mike at American Sycamore

Wally wrote in message . ..
[...]

Dear Wally:

Your header upsets me.....how do you know that this is a bad thing?
Do you have a crystal ball and can see in the future? Why of cource
not.....but that does'nt stop you from stating facts that you do not
know anything about.

How about waiting and see....this could be a great thing. I am
personally involved with Delta and I am very excited about their
future with Black & Decker. What we do not need is people running
around like chicken little saying the sky is falling! Mike from
American Sycamore
Pounds on Wood

"Wally" wrote in message
Club Members:

We have great news to share!

You know you're ****ed when management opens with that line.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

J. Clarke

wrote:

In article , mp wrote:

Interestingly enough, Dan didn't say if they'll continue with mostly
domestic tool production.

" Our team will now join forces with TTI North America, which employs
1,800 people in Ohio and South Carolina." is sufficiently vague, isn't
it?

Betcha somewhere in the neighborhoood of 1,500 layoffs in the next 12
months.

djb

I bet too there will be layoffs. When two companies combine, there
will be redundancy with people jobs. I just hope the Milwaukee brand
retains their high standards and quality. I have a Sawzall and corded
Milwaukee drill that are very well built.

Hey Bush. Where are the WMDs? Where are you hiding your military
service records?? And, where are all those jobs you promised (legal)
Americans???

Better question, "Hey Bush, why is the SEC letting this kind of sale go
through?"

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old Nick

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:03:42 -0400, Wally vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

like Ryobi Homelite

oh dear oh dear!

From my experience with chainsaws (Huskie) in particular, whenever a
good company teams up with a bad company, it foes downhill from there.
Economics is everything. That's how the merger happens.
the snappy ones are the best
Old Nick

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:35:23 -0500, "RonB" vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Yeah - This is worth watching. I own some older Ryobi that is pretty decent
equipment, but I don't think they are getting any better.

HAH! I bought Ryobi stuff because I thought they were decent, but I
was thinking of then, before TTI (or whatever anon. company) bought
them and all the others.

They are now laughing stock. Huge power. Poor quality.

Another tool engineering department run by accoutants?

Bingo!
the snappy ones are the best

Old Nick

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:01:06 -0700, "Pounds on Wood"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Wally" wrote in message
.. .
Club Members:

We have great news to share!

You know you're ****ed when management opens with that line.

hehe!

Great news for _whom_? shareholders....
the snappy ones are the best
Morris Dovey

J. Clarke wrote:

Better question, "Hey Bush, why is the SEC letting this kind
of sale go through?"

Hey! Don't pester the SEC - they're busy going after the /really/
dangerous subversives (like that uppity Stewart woman).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike at American Sycamore" wrote in message
Your header upsets me.....how do you know that this is a bad thing?
Do you have a crystal ball and can see in the future? Why of cource
not.....but that does'nt stop you from stating facts that you do not
know anything about.

How about waiting and see....this could be a great thing. I am
personally involved with Delta and I am very excited about their
future with Black & Decker. What we do not need is people running
around like chicken little saying the sky is falling! Mike from
American Sycamore

Look at the facts. How many companies have been bought out and greatly
improved? I'm sure there are some that I'm unaware of, but I can think of
many that have gone to hell after an acquisition.

I was with a company that was bought out and we were told how we would
compete better and have new markets opened up to us. Two years later they
moved out of state, two more years, they closed.

Next company I went to was bought out and closed.

Next company was bought out, financially raped, bought out again and closed.

Mike, I appreciate your optimism, but too many of us have been through the
opposite. We've become a bit cynical. OTOH, Jaguar is a better car now
that it is on a Ford chassis and uses Mustang engines.

If I worked for Milwaukee, I'd be tuning my resume, and stashing $$ for the
rainy days that just may be ahead. Just my opinion
Ed

Tom Veatch

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 08:23:37 +0800, Old Nick wrote:

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:03:42 -0400, Wally vaguely
proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

like Ryobi Homelite

oh dear oh dear!

From my experience with chainsaws (Huskie) in particular, whenever a
good company teams up with a bad company, it foes downhill from there.
Economics is everything. That's how the merger happens.
************************************************* ****
the snappy ones are the best

Wasn't Homelite "A Textron Company" at one time?

My employer of 28 years was swallowed by a conglomerate and, like most things
that are eaten, turned to s**t. It was quite interesting to watch the upper
management being stripped of anyone who displayed any loyalty to the "old"
company and replaced with clones from the (censored) corporate offices who
seemed to know nothing about our products or processes except how to "improve"
them.

They finally cleaned out most of the residual loyalty in the middle managers and
first line supervision with a "voluntary termination" and retirement bonus that
amounted, in my case, to about a year's salary. I'm thoroughly enjoying
retirement from the "new" company, but do sort of miss the "old" company.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA
GTO69RA4

Wasn't Homelite "A Textron Company" at one time?

Homelite was Textron's baby until they pulled a McCulloch--didn't develop new
technology, lost pro market to European saws, and had to settle with the Harry
Homeowner market. Textron unloaded them to John Deer maybe 10 years ago who
dropped all the (outdated) pro models left and concentrated 100% on junk. Deer
started getting a bad rep for this so they sold them to Techtronics a couple
years ago.

McCulloch swtiched to make crap way back in the '70-'80s, but hung around until
recently before going under and being bought by another offshore concern.

GTO(John)

Old Nick

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 04:05:53 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

OTOH, Jaguar is a better car now
that it is on a Ford chassis and uses Mustang engines.

It's NOT better. It's more reliable. It does not fall to pieces. It
does not leak oil. It may well be faster, and quieter and more
comfortable. It's also cheaper.

Not sure about handling.

But it's not _better_! G....mainly because it looks like somebody's
expensive Falcon (Oz name?)

Japanese bikes are not better than British or Italian (or even US)
ones either! G
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.
J. Clarke

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I heard that too. At the time the company had a purpose-built factory and
was making components for the space shuttle among other things. Last time
I had contact with them they were occupying a storefront in a strip mall
and NASA had long since cancelled their contracts due to lack of
facilities.

Next company I went to was bought out and closed.

Next company was bought out, financially raped, bought out again and
closed.

Mike, I appreciate your optimism, but too many of us have been through the
opposite. We've become a bit cynical. OTOH, Jaguar is a better car now
that it is on a Ford chassis and uses Mustang engines.

Of course Jaguar now is what's left of what was left after the British
Leyland attempt at a socialized automobile industry--compared to that Ford
can't help but be an improvement. But I thought the chassis went the other
way around--certain Ford models are on a Jaguar, or at least
Jaguar-designed chassis.

If I worked for Milwaukee, I'd be tuning my resume, and stashing $$ for
the rainy days that just may be ahead. Just my opinion
Ed

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 02:50:30 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Of course Jaguar now is what's left of what was left after the British
Leyland attempt at a socialized automobile industry

Jaguar and Land Rover were spared the sheer horror that was BL. On
paper they might have been, but on the shop floor they avoided nearly
all of the disaster. If the "socialized automobile industry"
experiment was a failure, it was at the BL / Rover plants where it
failed most spectacularly, not at Jaguar.

All three suffered union troubles, from very stupid and pig-headed
people running the unions. Perhaps Jaguar suffered the worst in this
respect - they were always great cars, but some years of production
made more lemons than a Greek citrus grove.

At times, Jaguar had problems - but they were never the unfathomable
pit of bad design, pointless products and totally rubbish apologies
for cars that went out wearing Austin and Morris badges.

--
Smert' spamionam
Old Nick

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 14:24:21 +0800, Old Nick
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Sorry. I meant washing and gnailing of teeth
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.

Morris Dovey

Old Nick wrote:

Falcon (Oz name?)

USAnian also - early 60's unibody "compact": coupe, sedan, and
station wagon models.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

patriarch

Old Nick wrote:

Falcon (Oz name?)

USAnian also - early 60's unibody "compact": coupe, sedan, and
station wagon models.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

This was, except for superficial sheetmetal, the predecessor of the first
Mustang. THERE was a triumph of perception over reality. The myth/legend
of the early Mustang continues to this day as a fun car. Not really all
that specially engineered.

Patriarch
Old Nick

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:46:02 -0500, Morris Dovey
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Old Nick wrote:

Falcon (Oz name?)

USAnian also - early 60's unibody "compact": coupe, sedan, and
station wagon models.

Ha! Compact! They are some of the biggest cars we have! G.....and
they might well be the same body!

Mind you, early 60s there were some whopcackers in the US, IIRC.
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.
George

They shared little enough that they weren't even built on the same line,
IIRC.

Of course, as one half of a team which performed at least forty valve jobs
on VW Beetles, I have a bit different opinion of the "made in the Black
Forest by elves" mythology, too.

"patriarch astDOTnet" patriarch wrote in message
.17...

This was, except for superficial sheetmetal, the predecessor of the first
Mustang. THERE was a triumph of perception over reality. The myth/legend
of the early Mustang continues to this day as a fun car. Not really all
that specially engineered.

Patriarch

BruceR

I had to buy a '66 Falcon in a hurry as a back to school car since my
normal driver had some serious problems. My garage was full of parts
from my '70 mustang project and I ended up swapping lots of HD
suspension parts and a 289 motor out of a Bronco into that Falcon (a six
banger) so I wouldn't feel so embarassed. everything was literally a
bolt in.

-BR

"patriarch astDOTnet" patriarch wrote in message
.17...

This was, except for superficial sheetmetal, the predecessor of the first
Mustang. THERE was a triumph of perception over reality. The myth/legend
of the early Mustang continues to this day as a fun car. Not really all
that specially engineered.

Patriarch

BeniBoose

Dear Wally:

Your header upsets me.....how do you know that this is a bad thing?
Do you have a crystal ball and can see in the future? Why of cource
not.....but that does'nt stop you from stating facts that you do not
know anything about.

How about waiting and see....this could be a great thing. I am
personally involved with Delta and I am very excited about their
future with Black & Decker. What we do not need is people running
around like chicken little saying the sky is falling! Mike from
American Sycamore

Mike,

We've seen raining before so don't blame Wally for coming up with that
header.

The problem is simple: when smaller companies are swallowed by large
organisations, often the business changes. It's the share holders that
put a lot of pressure to get some money back over their investment.
They don't care about what they're selling, they just want money back.
Usually, companies making high end products in a very competitive
market aren't as profitable as their competitors.

Let me tell you that chances are that this TTI company may take
advantage of the very high esteem that Milwaukee is enjoying in the
field right now to start pumping up some lesser quality products.

Just my 0.02.

Cyberben
Gary DeWitt

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message ...
"Wally" wrote in message
Club Members:

We have great news to share!

You know you're ****ed when management opens with that line.

There must be hundreds of similar stories just in the lurkers of this
NG.
My wife worked for Cadam, a cad subsidiary of Lockheed, mid 80's.
Lockheed sold Cadam to a FRENCH aeronautics co, dassault systems,
which kept it going only long enough to sell bits of it to the highest
bidder.
Why would a company buy a company they don't want, and really are not
going to make a killing selling? I just don't get it.

The way I feel about Millwaukee, having used their excellent tools
over the last 35 years with NEVER a breakdown, is just sad.

Here's an idea: form up a Historical Society style group who's purpose
is to preserve american companies who make good products, especially
tools. Seems to me with enough legal clout and expertise, you can get
just about anything done here in the USA. Part of the expenses could
be covered by targeted companies' employees. Anyone have an opinion
about how this might work and save at least the last few holdouts
here?
J. Clarke

"Wally" wrote in message
Club Members:

We have great news to share!

You know you're ****ed when management opens with that line.

There must be hundreds of similar stories just in the lurkers of this
NG.
My wife worked for Cadam, a cad subsidiary of Lockheed, mid 80's.
Lockheed sold Cadam to a FRENCH aeronautics co, dassault systems,
which kept it going only long enough to sell bits of it to the highest
bidder.
Why would a company buy a company they don't want, and really are not
going to make a killing selling? I just don't get it.

Sometimes they do it to eliminated a competitor and sometimes they do it
because there's one specific technology or patent or technique or facility
or customer that they want.

The way I feel about Millwaukee, having used their excellent tools
over the last 35 years with NEVER a breakdown, is just sad.

Here's an idea: form up a Historical Society style group who's purpose
is to preserve american companies who make good products, especially
tools. Seems to me with enough legal clout and expertise, you can get
just about anything done here in the USA. Part of the expenses could
be covered by targeted companies' employees. Anyone have an opinion
about how this might work and save at least the last few holdouts
here?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

dteckie

"mp" wrote in message ...
We currently employ more than 2,000 people and have four manufacturing
plants in Wisconsin, Mississippi and Arkansas, making Milwaukee the
only power tool manufacturer with the majority of its tool production
in the U.S. Our team will now join forces with TTI North America,
which employs 1,800 people in Ohio and South Carolina.

Interestingly enough, Dan didn't say if they'll continue with mostly
domestic tool production.

What they are really saying in the email is "China"!!! Translation on
more competitive and innovation ("CEO Talk") Eliminate competition,
manufacturing moved to China or Taiwan whichever gives them better
deal, Innovative design to decrease material cost, increase profits
and life expectancy of product.
Rob Mitchell

"Wally" wrote in message
[...]

The North American woodworking tools industry is moving to China because
the consumer has voted with their wallets. People would rather spend
$100 for a tool than $200. The difference in quality (if any) is not
sufficient to make them shell out the additional $$.

I just purchased a General TS (#650, made entirely in Canada). It was
$2200 CDN, vs $1400 for a 'King' import. Jet was somewhere in between,
Delta was a bit more than $2200. The King would have sufficed, but I
splurged and got the General. I can see that for most people the
difference in perceived quality does not justify a 50% price premium.

If North American industry wants to compete and sell tablesaws for
$2200, then they need to innovate and stay ahead of the Asian high
volume/low cost commodity manufacturers. After 50 years, General still
offers a sloppy cast iron rip fence that doesn't really work. Expensive
to make, it would be better for them to innovate and offer a really
accurate one. The same could be said for depth of cut, blade tilt and
anti-kickback blade shield. (Any time you see an active market for
'after-market add ons' you can bet that the major manufacturers are not
satisfying needs and are in trouble.

There are a few companies that make innovative products (Leigh, Jessem,
Woodpecker, Dremel) who are doing fine (I hope)