Old August 31st 04, 04:58 AM
Leon

"DIYGUY" wrote in message
.. .
I had the identical problem with my five year old Delta CS. Solved it by
using the Delta insert made for dado blades. Needed one of these anyway so
it was not a big deal.

I don't know how you would make a zero-clearance insert for 45 degrees.
The problem I see is that the usual process for making the insert calls
for raising the spinning blade up through the insert while it is held down
by the fence. If you try this with the blade set at an angle two bad
things are going to happen.

Really?

The first is obvious and that is the entry cut into in the insert will not
be zero clearance because raising the blade vertically will chew up the
bottom of the insert and then exit the top leaving a larger opening than
zero clearance.

You are guessing here... right? The blade when tilted at a 45 degree
setting DOES NOT travel vertically. You better take another look at how
the blade travels when set at a bevel.

The second one is
really bad and this is that if you use the fence to hold down the insert
you must be sure to put it on the side opposite the blade direction and
there just may not be enough "bite" on this narrower side to keep the
insert clamped in place. I suppose there are other ways to keep the
insert immobile but overall I just cannot see this as practical. Anyone
else care to chime in here?

Wrong again.

Old August 31st 04, 03:14 PM
DIYGUY

Love the cynicism!! Boy, it is always fun to belittle someone else and
show your own brilliance in the bargain. Why do you need to try and
make someone else look small, is it to make yourself look large? If
your comments are intended to shed light on the problem it might be
helpful to all who read the NG to actually outline something of value.
Did you enjoy your self-satisfied smirk??

wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:22:27 -0400, DIYGUY
wrote:

I had the identical problem with my five year old Delta CS. Solved it
by using the Delta insert made for dado blades. Needed one of these
anyway so it was not a big deal.

I don't know how you would make a zero-clearance insert for 45 degrees.
The problem I see is that the usual process for making the insert calls
for raising the spinning blade up through the insert while it is held
down by the fence. If you try this with the blade set at an angle two
bad things are going to happen. The first is obvious and that is the
entry cut into in the insert will not be zero clearance because raising
the blade vertically

heh...
never done it, eh?

will chew up the bottom of the insert and then exit
the top leaving a larger opening than zero clearance. The second one is
really bad and this is that if you use the fence to hold down the insert
you must be sure to put it on the side opposite the blade direction and
there just may not be enough "bite" on this narrower side to keep the
insert clamped in place. I suppose there are other ways to keep the
insert immobile but overall I just cannot see this as practical. Anyone
else care to chime in here?

no problems plunge cutting through any of my zero clearance bevel
inserts....

Rich Durkee wrote:

For the first time since I bought the Delta Contractors saw a year ago
I am trying to cut a 45 degree mitre in the ends of the jewelry box
sides. However when I tilt the blade to 45 degrees, the blade hits on
the insert. I noticed that when the blade is at 90 degrees the blade
is not centered in the slot in the insert, but I don't see where there
is anything I can do to move it over to the left a little bit. At 45
the blade doesn't hit by much but definitely hits. Don't see anything
in the manual about an auxiliary insert for cutting 45s so I what's
the problem?

Rich Durkee

Old August 31st 04, 04:32 PM
Lawrence Wasserman

DIYGUY wrote:
[...]

...previous quote snipped...

On my Delta contractor saw, and every other tilting arbor table saw I
have seen, up & down motion of the blade is perpendicular to the
arbor, i.e, the blade will stay within it's own plane when
raised/lowered, regardless of the tilt angle. And as you say, there are
other ways to retain an insert besides moving the fence over it.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Old September 2nd 04, 01:18 AM
Robert Galloway

DIYGUY wrote:
I had the identical problem with my five year old Delta CS. Solved it
by using the Delta insert made for dado blades. Needed one of these
anyway so it was not a big deal.

I don't know how you would make a zero-clearance insert for 45 degrees.
The problem I see is that the usual process for making the insert calls
for raising the spinning blade up through the insert while it is held
down by the fence. If you try this with the blade set at an angle two
bad things are going to happen. The first is obvious and that is the
entry cut into in the insert will not be zero clearance because raising
the blade vertically will chew up the bottom of the insert and then exit
the top leaving a larger opening than zero clearance.

I don't know about your saw but mine does a pretty good job of moving
the blade in the "plane" of the blade regardless of angle. IOW, cuts a
pretty narrow slot by raising the blade regardless of angle. Place the
fence on the side of the insert where the blade is NOT going to exit.
In the case of my saw, the Jet JT10, the "safe" side is also the wide
side. YMMV

bob g.

Old December 22nd 20, 04:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta contractor blade hits insert

Mine did the same thing, then it did not. I blew the dust out and it is working fine.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...rt-263336-.htm