Anonymoose

Default zero-clearance insert for old Delta TS

I've never used a zero-clearance insert before. I see one at amazon that
supposedly fits Delta's but it is described as 1/2" thick and the insert
that's on my TS is no way 1/2" thick - it's about 1/4" steel. I'm not sure
what model # I have, I don't see "Model: nnn" anywhere on it, but the Cat #
is 34-670 - I suppose that that could be the model #. Anyone make an
insert for one such as mine, or know where I can buy one?
Mike in Mystic

If you have your original insert then just use it as a template to make a
new one out of some plywood. Trace the outline, bandsaw it close then
double-stick tape the insert to the blank and rout it with a template bit.
It's about as easy as it gets.

Mike

#
is 34-670 - I suppose that that could be the model #. Anyone make an
insert for one such as mine, or know where I can buy one?

Bob Gramza

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=139&p=2423

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:11:44 -0600, Anonymoose wrote:

I've never used a zero-clearance insert before. I see one at amazon that
supposedly fits Delta's but it is described as 1/2" thick and the insert
that's on my TS is no way 1/2" thick - it's about 1/4" steel. I'm not sure
what model # I have, I don't see "Model: nnn" anywhere on it, but the Cat #
is 34-670 - I suppose that that could be the model #. Anyone make an
insert for one such as mine, or know where I can buy one?

You could easily use a plastic cutting board. They come in various
thicknesses and can tooled with little effort. The overall effect would
be the same but at a substantially lower price.

Other materials work, too: plywood

Anonymoose

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in
. com:

If you have your original insert then just use it as a template to
make a new one out of some plywood. Trace the outline, bandsaw it
close then double-stick tape the insert to the blank and rout it with
a template bit. It's about as easy as it gets.

That's what I wanted to do, but the original insert is waaaaay too thin -
3/32". I'll have to try to find some plexiglass or something unless
someone can think of something else that's also that thin and stronger.

JohnV

Try planing it down to the thicknes you want. Can use hardwood or plywood.
I have had some success with plywood in the planer. Planed down a piece
this summer to fill a hole in my floor before re-laying the hardwood.

John V

"Anonymoose" Ihatespam wrote in message
"Mike in Mystic" wrote in
. com:
That's what I wanted to do, but the original insert is waaaaay too thin -
3/32". I'll have to try to find some plexiglass or something unless
someone can think of something else that's also that thin and stronger.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Anonymoose Ihatespam wrote:
I've never used a zero-clearance insert before. I see one at amazon that
supposedly fits Delta's but it is described as 1/2" thick and the insert
that's on my TS is no way 1/2" thick - it's about 1/4" steel.

Look *carefully* at your existing insert. it's thin metal across the expanse
of the top of the insert. With a _deeper_ 'edge' down to where it sits on
the supports in the table. _That_ depth is considered the overall depth of
the insert.

Zero-clearance inserts are typically solid stock, so they are listed by that
'deeper' thickness across almost the entire insert. They _may_ have a
hollowed-out section on the bottom side, in the area where the blade will cut
through.

what model # I have, I don't see "Model: nnn" anywhere on it, but the Cat #
is 34-670 - I suppose that that could be the model #.

Yawp. that's the appropriate id. identifies it as the "budget" Delta saw.

Anyone make an
insert for one such as mine, or know where I can buy one?

Keith Carlson

"Anonymoose" Ihatespam wrote in message
I've never used a zero-clearance insert before. I see one at amazon that
supposedly fits Delta's but it is described as 1/2" thick and the insert
that's on my TS is no way 1/2" thick - it's about 1/4" steel. I'm not

sure
what model # I have, I don't see "Model: nnn" anywhere on it, but the Cat

#
is 34-670 - I suppose that that could be the model #. Anyone make an
insert for one such as mine, or know where I can buy one?

I have a model 34-600. Not sure how close that is to yours, but it takes a
3/8 thick insert - just made my first zero-clearance insert, in fact.

BUB 209

I did something really radical with my
Delta Contractor's saw. I have an
extra rip fence, and I cut about 1/4"