Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
DIYGUY wrote:
I had the identical problem with my five year old Delta CS. Solved it
by using the Delta insert made for dado blades. Needed one of these
anyway so it was not a big deal.

I don't know how you would make a zero-clearance insert for 45 degrees.
The problem I see is that the usual process for making the insert calls
for raising the spinning blade up through the insert while it is held
down by the fence. If you try this with the blade set at an angle two
bad things are going to happen. The first is obvious and that is the
entry cut into in the insert will not be zero clearance because raising
the blade vertically will chew up the bottom of the insert and then exit
the top leaving a larger opening than zero clearance. The second one is
really bad and this is that if you use the fence to hold down the insert
you must be sure to put it on the side opposite the blade direction and
there just may not be enough "bite" on this narrower side to keep the
insert clamped in place. I suppose there are other ways to keep the
insert immobile but overall I just cannot see this as practical. Anyone
else care to chime in here?

...previous quote snipped...

On my Delta contractor saw, and every other tilting arbor table saw I
have seen, up & down motion of the blade is perpendicular to the
arbor, i.e, the blade will stay within it's own plane when
raised/lowered, regardless of the tilt angle. And as you say, there are
other ways to retain an insert besides moving the fence over it.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland