Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta band saw motor started smoking, then switched popped and smoked...

I've got a Delta ShopMaster bandsaw that I've had for years and don't use very
often. I was cutting some plywood today and noticed a burning smell and some
smoke coming from the motor. I turned it off, let it cool down, started it
again for a few minutes and it seemed fine, then there was a loud, electric
pop, lots of smoke came out from the switch, so I turned it off. I unscrewed
the switch, looked inside and didn't see anything burned, hot, etc. so I put
the switch back in, tried turning it on again and it made noise like it was
trying to run, but didn't move. I was able to move the belt manually, but the
engine didn't turn.
Is this saw dead? Does it sound like this is something I can troubleshoot and
fix?
Thanks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-a-823846-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2020 5:14 PM, brianp wrote:
[...]

Some years ago my table saw motor died. I took it into the small motor
repair shop and they disassembled it. It was an older capacitor start
motor and there was wood chip in a switch inside of the motor. Since
the switch could not close it cut off the capacitor that was necessary
to turn the motor over.

He showed me how to disassemble the motor to clean that area if I ever
had the problem again. Also as I am cleaning up the saw at the end of
a project vacuum out the ports on each side of the motor. I also
periodically oil the motor bearings.

If the winding in the motor are intact it probably can be fixed, so if
you can not find the problem I would recommend taking it to a shop
before discarding it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd first suspect loose wiring at the motor end of the switch's wiring. Probably need to replace the switch and its wiring to the motor end.

To me, that popping sound was caused by wires touching, somewhere, not the motor itself.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 17:25:58 -0400, knuttle
wrote:

[...]

The capacitor may have simply failed (catastrophically). Replace that
first. It shouldn't be that difficult.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 4:14:05 PM UTC-5, brianp wrote:
[...]

Unless you are confident soldering components in the motor, follow Keith's advice and take it to a place that rewinds motors and let them trouble shoot it for you. It is a lot simpler and could be less expensive than probing around in an area you are not comfortable with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" writes:
[...]

=20
--=20
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/delta-b=

and-saw-motor-started-smoking-then-switched-popped-a-823846-.htm

Unless you are confident soldering components in the motor, follow Keith's =
advice and take it to a place that rewinds motors and let them trouble shoo=
t it for you. It is a lot simpler and could be less expensive than probing=
around in an area you are not comfortable with.

It's a $100 bandsaw with a cheap little 1/3hp motor. Probably
cost more to take it in for troubleshooting than to simply replace the
saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to krw, brianp wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies!! I opened the switch housing and found the
blown capacitor!! Hopefully I can just replace that and save $160. However, I
started looking around for it and can't find a replacement anywhere that looks
like it will fit into the same spot in the saw...anyone have any ideas??

https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m3

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 2:44:05 PM UTC-4, brianp wrote:
replying to krw, brianp wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies!! I opened the switch housing and found the
blown capacitor!! Hopefully I can just replace that and save $160. However, I
started looking around for it and can't find a replacement anywhere that looks
like it will fit into the same spot in the saw...anyone have any ideas??

https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m3

What about this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/5021294937

You can also 20UF caps with higher voltage ratings (e.g. 450V) that will
work just fine. Typically, you want to at least double the expected
voltage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 18:44:02 +0000, brianp
m wrote:

replying to krw, brianp wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies!! I opened the switch housing and found the
blown capacitor!! Hopefully I can just replace that and save $160. However, I
started looking around for it and can't find a replacement anywhere that looks
like it will fit into the same spot in the saw...anyone have any ideas??

https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m3

You don't give the dimensions.

Google "20 microfarad rectangular run capacitor" and see if you get
anything that is close. Note that in general you can substitute a
capacitor with a higher voltage rating for one with a lower.
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to brianp, brianp wrote:
...actually...I think I may have found it! $20 with shipping:
https://www.capacitorindustries.com/.../adp250a206jn/

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-a-823846-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 4:44:05 PM UTC-4, brianp wrote:
replying to brianp, brianp wrote:
..actually...I think I may have found it! $20 with shipping:
https://www.capacitorindustries.com/.../adp250a206jn/

As opposed to the $3.99 ebay link I offered?

or 12.50 on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/ITACO-Generat.../dp/B018G8ADN6

Your choice...

Posted to rec.woodworking

m wrote:

replying to krw, brianp wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies!! I opened the switch housing and found the
blown capacitor!! Hopefully I can just replace that and save $160. However, I
started looking around for it and can't find a replacement anywhere that looks
like it will fit into the same spot in the saw...anyone have any ideas??

Digikey might be a source

https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/capacitors
Posted to rec.woodworking

m wrote:

replying to krw, brianp wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies!! I opened the switch housing and found the
blown capacitor!! Hopefully I can just replace that and save $160. However, I
started looking around for it and can't find a replacement anywhere that looks
like it will fit into the same spot in the saw...anyone have any ideas??

Digikey might be a source

https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/capacitors

Probably is a source, but site doesn't seem very easy to search.

Search for CBB61 and you get "We weren't able to find any results based
on your search entry."

Search for 20uF, and you get 16,605 results categorized by component type,
which you then need to drill down into. You really need to know what you
are looking for, like what *type* of capacitor (Tantalum, Aluminum, Ceramic,
etc.) before you can get very far.

On the other hand, search Amazon or ebay for *either* CBB61 or 20uF, and
you'll find an exact match for *both*.

Just 2 examples...

https://www.amazon.com/HQRP-2-Pack-C.../dp/B01N5NLYY9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HQRP-Motor-...x/272525393106
Posted to rec.woodworking

m wrote:

replying to krw, brianp wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies!! I opened the switch housing and found the
blown capacitor!! Hopefully I can just replace that and save $160. However, I
started looking around for it and can't find a replacement anywhere that looks
like it will fit into the same spot in the saw...anyone have any ideas??

Digikey might be a source

https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/capacitors

Probably is a source, but site doesn't seem very easy to search.

Agree with the searching on Digikey, if you know what you want not
that much of a problem. More for a electronics person who knows what
they want.
Posted to rec.woodworking

m wrote:

replying to krw, brianp wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies!! I opened the switch housing and found the
blown capacitor!! Hopefully I can just replace that and save $160. However, I
started looking around for it and can't find a replacement anywhere that looks
like it will fit into the same spot in the saw...anyone have any ideas??

Digikey might be a source

https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/capacitors

Locally, the best source in town is the HVAC parts guys -- they've got
most all motor capacitors for small single-phase motors. The motor shop
folks have the big stuff mostly; don't get many small motors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

m wrote:

replying to krw, brianp wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies!! I opened the switch housing and found the
blown capacitor!! Hopefully I can just replace that and save $160. However, I
started looking around for it and can't find a replacement anywhere that looks
like it will fit into the same spot in the saw...anyone have any ideas??

Digikey might be a source

https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/capacitors

Probably is a source, but site doesn't seem very easy to search.

Agree with the searching on Digikey, if you know what you want not
that much of a problem. More for a electronics person who knows what
they want.

Exactly. It's the best electronics search tool for engineers. The
rest of the industry search tools aren't even close. I probably order
from them a couple of times a month (just got an $1,000 order but
haven't been able to open it - locked out due to a WuFlu exposure in
building). If it's not at Digikey, in my desk, or a manufacturer's
sample, the possibility of a design-in is about nil.
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to J. Clarke, brianp wrote:
Thanks! The opening is pretty tight, about 1 3/4" across...and that was the
long part of the old one, about 1 1/2" wide and deep. I can get exact
measurements but I think the one I got will fit. Thanks!
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/m4

Does code require a switched receptical if you have switched overheads? Dr.John Home Repair 12 March 8th 06 02:14 PM
Old Delta Band saw help. and Gloat BigDaddy Woodworking 6 April 26th 05 03:01 AM
Grizzly Band Saw Riser (Extension) works great with the HD Ridgid Band Saw!! [email protected] Woodworking 5 September 30th 04 12:45 AM
Well, well, well; Delta MAY have listened - the brand new 14 Band Saw now has a RESILIENT MOUNT motor! shades of yesteryear! David Binkowski Woodworking 3 August 21st 03 06:28 AM