Posted to rec.woodworking
brianp brianp is offline

Default Delta band saw motor started smoking, then switched popped and smoked...

I've got a Delta ShopMaster bandsaw that I've had for years and don't use very
often. I was cutting some plywood today and noticed a burning smell and some
smoke coming from the motor. I turned it off, let it cool down, started it
again for a few minutes and it seemed fine, then there was a loud, electric
pop, lots of smoke came out from the switch, so I turned it off. I unscrewed
the switch, looked inside and didn't see anything burned, hot, etc. so I put
the switch back in, tried turning it on again and it made noise like it was
trying to run, but didn't move. I was able to move the belt manually, but the
engine didn't turn.
Is this saw dead? Does it sound like this is something I can troubleshoot and
fix?
Thanks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-a-823846-.htm