Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr.John

Default Does code require a switched receptical if you have switched overheads?

I'm located in the US/MA. Finishing off a basement room and adding a
couple of circuits. I will have overhead recessed lighting wired to a
switch on the wall at the door entrance. Do I still need to have a
wall receptical wired to the switch, or does the fact that the
overheads are switched cover this?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Dr.John" wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm located in the US/MA. Finishing off a basement room and adding a
couple of circuits. I will have overhead recessed lighting wired to a
switch on the wall at the door entrance. Do I still need to have a
wall receptical wired to the switch, or does the fact that the
overheads are switched cover this?

generally if there is a way to turn on a light that is all that is required.

You will need recpts 12 feet apart for the area.

Not sure if MA has any special additions. Call the "authority" and ask on
Monday.
You could always check your cities web page.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Dr.John" wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm located in the US/MA. Finishing off a basement room and adding a
couple of circuits. I will have overhead recessed lighting wired to a
switch on the wall at the door entrance. Do I still need to have a
wall receptical wired to the switch, or does the fact that the
overheads are switched cover this?

What makes you ask a question like this? Unless there is something you are
not telling us, there is certainly no requirement to have outlets on
lighting circuits.
What makes you spell receptacle that ?

And finally, you are aware the outlets have to be GFCI aren't you?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Dr.John wrote:
I'm located in the US/MA. Finishing off a basement room and adding a
couple of circuits. I will have overhead recessed lighting wired to a
switch on the wall at the door entrance. Do I still need to have a
wall receptical wired to the switch, or does the fact that the
overheads are switched cover this?

That's the usual case. The switched receptacle is in lieu of a
switched ceiling outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

And finally, you are aware the outlets have to be GFCI aren't you?

Is this a code change I'm not aware of? Unless something has changed, only
outlets in "unfinished" parts of the basement have to be GFCI protected

"Toller" wrote in message

"Dr.John" wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm located in the US/MA. Finishing off a basement room and adding a
couple of circuits. I will have overhead recessed lighting wired to a
switch on the wall at the door entrance. Do I still need to have a
wall receptical wired to the switch, or does the fact that the
overheads are switched cover this?

What makes you ask a question like this? Unless there is something you
are not telling us, there is certainly no requirement to have outlets on
lighting circuits.
What makes you spell receptacle that ?

And finally, you are aware the outlets have to be GFCI aren't you?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article om, "Dr.John" wrote:
I'm located in the US/MA. Finishing off a basement room and adding a
couple of circuits. I will have overhead recessed lighting wired to a
switch on the wall at the door entrance. Do I still need to have a
wall receptical wired to the switch, or does the fact that the
overheads are switched cover this?

You have the Code requirements turned around.

The requirement is for a minimum of one switched "lighting outlet" (e.g. an
overhead light fixture) per room, but (except in kitchens and bathrooms) one
or more switched wall receptacles may be used in lieu of a dedicated lighting
outlet. IOW -- Code never requires switched receptacles, but allows them in
place of otherwise-required overhead lighting.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "Toller" wrote:

"Dr.John" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm located in the US/MA. Finishing off a basement room and adding a
couple of circuits. I will have overhead recessed lighting wired to a
switch on the wall at the door entrance. Do I still need to have a
wall receptical wired to the switch, or does the fact that the
overheads are switched cover this?

What makes you ask a question like this? Unless there is something you are
not telling us, there is certainly no requirement to have outlets on
lighting circuits.
What makes you spell receptacle that ?

And finally, you are aware the outlets have to be GFCI aren't you?

Not in a finished basement, they don't. Probably prudent anyway, but not a
Code requirement.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
And finally, you are aware the outlets have to be GFCI aren't you?

Is this a code change I'm not aware of? Unless something has changed, only
outlets in "unfinished" parts of the basement have to be GFCI protected

No, you are correct; sorry.
But isn't that a bit strange? Why would they be required in unfinished, but
not finished? Better insulation on the floor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I remodel I install extra wall receptables, they are pretty cheap,
and dont forget pre wiring for sat, cable or ethernet.

easiest time to do this stuff is when wall is open.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Keefe

On 3/5/06 5:47 PM, in article , "Toller"
wrote:

Is this a code change I'm not aware of? Unless something has changed, only
outlets in "unfinished" parts of the basement have to be GFCI protected

No, you are correct; sorry.
But isn't that a bit strange? Why would they be required in unfinished, but
not finished? Better insulation on the floor?

Presumably because an unfinished basement is more likely to have water on
the floor, and a finished basement probably implemented measures to prevent
this..