Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

Default Does code require a switched receptical if you have switched overheads?

In article . com,
says...
Dr.John wrote:
I'm located in the US/MA. Finishing off a basement room and adding a
couple of circuits. I will have overhead recessed lighting wired to a
switch on the wall at the door entrance. Do I still need to have a
wall receptical wired to the switch, or does the fact that the
overheads are switched cover this?

That's the usual case. The switched receptacle is in lieu of a
switched ceiling outlet.

The receptacles in our current house are split top/bottom. The
tops in every room (except kitchen) are switched and the bottoms
aren't. I'm sure it's a bit more expensive to do this but it is
nice; highly recommended.

--
Keith