Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A new kind of Drill Press

On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:
On 12/5/2016 11:37 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:

The two things I don't like about my DP is raising and lowering the
table. I'd like that to be electric, or on a ratcheting gear type
device. The other is I would prefer a bench top rather than floor
model. I never really needed the DP to drill into the end of a 4' board,
and when I do, I use other methods. The floor model takes up valuable
space, I would prefer to have my DP sit on top of a nice cabinet full of
tools and stuff.

To be fair, nothing prevents you from building a "nice cabinet full
of tools and stuff" that lives under the drill press table. It could
even be on casters so you can slide it in (leave a hollow in the back
and bottom for the drill press post/stand)

Nothing other than a 3" steel pipe going thru the middle of the cabinet.

Jeez my 3" pipe is at the back of my DP table, yours goes through the
middle of the table???
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2016 3:36 PM, Jack wrote:
On 12/5/2016 12:29 PM, Leon wrote:

I have had both bench top and now the floor model, my previous was a
Rockewll radial. I now have a Delta floor model and much prefer this
over the bench top. While the floor model takes up floor space, the
bench top either uses up table top space or floor space if on a stand.

The bench top doesn't take up floor space if it sits on to of a cabinet
where no cabinet existed when the floor model was there. I just have
never found value to the floor model which I've had for 40 years. I at
the end of my woodworking career, so won't be replacing what has worked
for all these years, just pointing out what my view is on the subject.

The Rockwell had 4 belt speeds, I am clueless how many the Delta has but
12+. While these speeds pretty much handle what I want changing is a
PIA, w belts to change and sometimes the belts have to come off to trade
height positions, so I simply do not change speeds as often as I would
like. About 8 years ago I used the Powermatic VS DP, IIRC it had a
reeves drive and was shockingly noisy. IIRC they have change this on
the most recent model.

I rarely, very rarely change speeds and I've drilled holes in about
everything imaginable, but 95% wood. I bet I would get in more trouble
if I had the NOVA with infinite speeds available at my fingertips.

Any how, this looks nice, not needed much but I would trade my
King-Seely for this sucker, but I bet it's life is measured in years
rather than decades:-) For me, unless you have a specific need, or have
an oil well in your back yard, you would be better off spending the
extra cash on a segmented, spiral cutter head for your planer and or
jointer.

I have read a few times recently the segmented spiral head cutters do
not leave as smooth of fresh surface as a non-segmented spiral cutter.
There is always a bubble to be popped. ;~(

Mine leaves super smooth cuts in anything, regardless of knots or grain
direction. I call BS to those saying this, and I don't even have a high
end machine. I suspect whomever said this is out to lunch, and has his
head stuck far up a book somewhere. Just ain't so in real life.

Hey if you are happy, it is good enough.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:

[...]

Maybe his DP only has an 8" swing. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2016 9:20 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:36 PM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Not completely happy. I listed the two things my DP doesn't have that
would make me happier, although not $1500 happier. One is bench top
model, and the other is easier table lifting mechanism.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

To be fair, nothing prevents you from building a "nice cabinet full
of tools and stuff" that lives under the drill press table. It could
even be on casters so you can slide it in (leave a hollow in the back
and bottom for the drill press post/stand)

Nothing other than a 3" steel pipe going thru the middle of the cabinet.

Jeez my 3" pipe is at the back of my DP table, yours goes through the
middle of the table???

Jeez if I built a cabinet around my drill press most likely the pipe
would be centered in the cabinet.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/2016 1:11 PM, Jack wrote:
On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

To be fair, nothing prevents you from building a "nice cabinet full
of tools and stuff" that lives under the drill press table. It could
even be on casters so you can slide it in (leave a hollow in the back
and bottom for the drill press post/stand)

Nothing other than a 3" steel pipe going thru the middle of the cabinet.

Jeez my 3" pipe is at the back of my DP table, yours goes through the
middle of the table???

Jeez if I built a cabinet around my drill press most likely the pipe
would be centered in the cabinet.

Jack, why not make lifting and lowering your table easier by
counterbalancing the table. Just drill throught the pole just under the
head , mount a garage door pulley about $6 from the borg, then use some
steel cable and attach to the table, use weights ((for lifting) or make
your own )to counter balance the weight of the table.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 13:11:18 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

To be fair, nothing prevents you from building a "nice cabinet full
of tools and stuff" that lives under the drill press table. It could
even be on casters so you can slide it in (leave a hollow in the back
and bottom for the drill press post/stand)

Nothing other than a 3" steel pipe going thru the middle of the cabinet.

Jeez my 3" pipe is at the back of my DP table, yours goes through the
middle of the table???

Jeez if I built a cabinet around my drill press most likely the pipe
would be centered in the cabinet.

Why? Like Leon, I'd put the post at the rear (unless the cabinet was
much deeper than the DP). There is no reason to spin the head around
and drill in the rear of the cabinet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 1:11:28 PM UTC-5, Jack wrote:
On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

To be fair, nothing prevents you from building a "nice cabinet full
of tools and stuff" that lives under the drill press table. It could
even be on casters so you can slide it in (leave a hollow in the back
and bottom for the drill press post/stand)

Nothing other than a 3" steel pipe going thru the middle of the cabinet.

Jeez my 3" pipe is at the back of my DP table, yours goes through the
middle of the table???

Jeez if I built a cabinet around my drill press most likely the pipe
would be centered in the cabinet.

Wasn't one of your original dislikes the amount of floor space your DP takes
up?

Wouldn't it take up even more space if you centered the pipe in a cabinet?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:
On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

To be fair, nothing prevents you from building a "nice cabinet full
of tools and stuff" that lives under the drill press table. It could
even be on casters so you can slide it in (leave a hollow in the back
and bottom for the drill press post/stand)

Nothing other than a 3" steel pipe going thru the middle of the cabinet.

Jeez my 3" pipe is at the back of my DP table, yours goes through the
middle of the table???

Jeez if I built a cabinet around my drill press most likely the pipe
would be centered in the cabinet.

You did read the "slide it in [on casters] by leaving a hollow for the drill press
post/stand", right?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/2016 12:11 PM, Jack wrote:
On 12/6/2016 9:20 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:36 PM, Jack wrote:
[...]

I was talking about the quality of finish left by a segmented spiral
cutter. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

To be fair, nothing prevents you from building a "nice cabinet full
of tools and stuff" that lives under the drill press table. It could
even be on casters so you can slide it in (leave a hollow in the back
and bottom for the drill press post/stand)

Nothing other than a 3" steel pipe going thru the middle of the cabinet.

Jeez my 3" pipe is at the back of my DP table, yours goes through the
middle of the table???

Jeez if I built a cabinet around my drill press most likely the pipe
would be centered in the cabinet.

Why? Like Leon, I'd put the post at the rear (unless the cabinet was
much deeper than the DP). There is no reason to spin the head around
and drill in the rear of the cabinet.

Yes the post is in the rear dumb ass. If I built a cabinet around it,
the post would be centered right to left, not front to back in the cabinet.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

To be fair, nothing prevents you from building a "nice cabinet full
of tools and stuff" that lives under the drill press table. It could
even be on casters so you can slide it in (leave a hollow in the back
and bottom for the drill press post/stand)

Nothing other than a 3" steel pipe going thru the middle of the cabinet.

Jeez my 3" pipe is at the back of my DP table, yours goes through the
middle of the table???

Jeez if I built a cabinet around my drill press most likely the pipe
would be centered in the cabinet.

Wasn't one of your original dislikes the amount of floor space your DP takes
up?

Wouldn't it take up even more space if you centered the pipe in a cabinet?

I wouldn't center the pipe in the cabinet because I wouldn't be the one
building a cabinet around my drill press. I would build a cabinet as I
liked, full of drawers to store stuff. I would then place a Bench top
DP on top of the cabinet. So then, I would have a cabinet and a drill
press where I now have a drill press only.

I could build a cabinet on legs, stick it in front of my drill press,
which would be about 14 inches off the wall, making the cabinet stick
way out in the room, or, build it so shallow, it would be stupid. Also,
I could build a standard cabinet with a 14" hollow cut out for the post,
which would be even more stupid.

If I really cared that much about space, I would have sold my drill
press and bought a bench top model. I don't care that much, actually
not at all as my wood working days are nearing its end. I simply
mentioned what I personally would like in a drill press. the Nova
offers expensive features I personally never longed for, and if they
don't offer a bench top model, I wouldn't buy it with your money.

Those starting out, with limited shop space and w/o an oil well in their
back yard, might mull over. Those with unlimited shop space, and an oil
well in there back yard can run out and buy a Nova. I'd bet there are
plenty of other, even more expensive drill presses that they could buy.
Just think what great furniture, or domino's they could build then...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2016 9:20 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:36 PM, Jack wrote:
[...]

So was I. I call BS to those saying the finish left by a segmented
spiral cutters leave a less smooth finish than a non segmented cutter.
It just ain't so in real life, if anything, it's exactly the opposite.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

To be fair, nothing prevents you from building a "nice cabinet full
of tools and stuff" that lives under the drill press table. It could
even be on casters so you can slide it in (leave a hollow in the back
and bottom for the drill press post/stand)

Nothing other than a 3" steel pipe going thru the middle of the cabinet.

Jeez my 3" pipe is at the back of my DP table, yours goes through the
middle of the table???

Jeez if I built a cabinet around my drill press most likely the pipe
would be centered in the cabinet.

Why? Like Leon, I'd put the post at the rear (unless the cabinet was
much deeper than the DP). There is no reason to spin the head around
and drill in the rear of the cabinet.

Yes the post is in the rear dumb ass. If I built a cabinet around it,
the post would be centered right to left, not front to back in the cabinet.

Well that's obvious. Most people are smart enough to save words for
something more meaningful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

[...]

Exactly!

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

[...]

...and yet you used 274 words to explain to me how you would build a cabinet
for an imaginary bench top drill press and how you don't really care about
floor space after originally saying "the floor model takes up valuable floor
space."

You sure could have saved some words there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2016 9:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why? Like Leon, I'd put the post at the rear (unless the cabinet was
much deeper than the DP). There is no reason to spin the head around
and drill in the rear of the cabinet.

Yes the post is in the rear dumb ass. If I built a cabinet around it,
the post would be centered right to left, not front to back in the cabinet.

Well that's obvious. Most people are smart enough to save words for
something more meaningful.

Exactly!

..and yet you used 274 words to explain to me how you would build a cabinet
for an imaginary bench top drill press and how you don't really care about
floor space after originally saying "the floor model takes up valuable floor
space."

You sure could have saved some words there.

I'm not the one worried about running out of words. And I didn't ask
anyone about how to build a cabinet around my drill press. The dumb ass
pontificates about the post being in the back of the drill press (DUH)
so I have to "waste words" explaining to the dumb ass that the post is
centered left to right, not front to back (another DUH) then the idiot
chastises me for explaining it to him. He is a simpleton, plain and simple.

As for you wasting your time counting my words, I already "wasted words"
explaining my thoughts were not for the geniuses in this group to
explain to me what I needed to do, but to give my opinions on what I
would look for in a drill press based on my considerable experience.
I have not a problem with people making suggestions I didn't ask for,
since it provides a platform for everyone to learn.

I gave reasons for my opinions, such as I rarely to never had a need for
a floor model drill press, and a bench top could sit on top of a useful
cabinet, things a newbie might want to consider.

You of course wasted words explaining to me some nonsense about wasting
space building a cabinet around a drill press. Sure hope you don't run
out of words because of that wasted effort.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 10:21:19 -0500, Jack wrote:

[...]

If you would write clearly, there wouldn't be any misunderstanding.
More words doesn't equate to better writing.

As for you wasting your time counting my words, I already "wasted words"
explaining my thoughts were not for the geniuses in this group to
explain to me what I needed to do, but to give my opinions on what I
would look for in a drill press based on my considerable experience.
I have not a problem with people making suggestions I didn't ask for,
since it provides a platform for everyone to learn.

....and the wasted words keep coming.

I gave reasons for my opinions, such as I rarely to never had a need for
a floor model drill press, and a bench top could sit on top of a useful
cabinet, things a newbie might want to consider.

...and coming.

You of course wasted words explaining to me some nonsense about wasting
space building a cabinet around a drill press. Sure hope you don't run
out of words because of that wasted effort.

Eveready words.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2016 8:17 PM, krw wrote:

If you would write clearly, there wouldn't be any misunderstanding.
More words doesn't equate to better writing.

If you learned how to read and comprehend, I wouldn't need to "waste"
words explaining the obvious to the likes of you.

--
Jack
No Matter how big a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2016 8:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You sure could have saved some words there.

Why gawd invented the Bozo bin ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 11:55:05 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 12/9/2016 8:17 PM, krw wrote:

If you would write clearly, there wouldn't be any misunderstanding.
More words doesn't equate to better writing.

If you learned how to read and comprehend, I wouldn't need to "waste"
words explaining the obvious to the likes of you.

Yet you do.

I can read. You've proven that you can't write.

You can go away now.