Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default A new kind of Drill Press

On 12/7/2016 2:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 1:11:28 PM UTC-5, Jack wrote:
On 12/6/2016 9:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:23 PM, Jack wrote:

To be fair, nothing prevents you from building a "nice cabinet full
of tools and stuff" that lives under the drill press table. It could
even be on casters so you can slide it in (leave a hollow in the back
and bottom for the drill press post/stand)

Nothing other than a 3" steel pipe going thru the middle of the cabinet.

Jeez my 3" pipe is at the back of my DP table, yours goes through the
middle of the table???

Jeez if I built a cabinet around my drill press most likely the pipe
would be centered in the cabinet.

Wasn't one of your original dislikes the amount of floor space your DP takes
up?

Wouldn't it take up even more space if you centered the pipe in a cabinet?

I wouldn't center the pipe in the cabinet because I wouldn't be the one
building a cabinet around my drill press. I would build a cabinet as I
liked, full of drawers to store stuff. I would then place a Bench top
DP on top of the cabinet. So then, I would have a cabinet and a drill
press where I now have a drill press only.

I could build a cabinet on legs, stick it in front of my drill press,
which would be about 14 inches off the wall, making the cabinet stick
way out in the room, or, build it so shallow, it would be stupid. Also,
I could build a standard cabinet with a 14" hollow cut out for the post,
which would be even more stupid.

If I really cared that much about space, I would have sold my drill
press and bought a bench top model. I don't care that much, actually
not at all as my wood working days are nearing its end. I simply
mentioned what I personally would like in a drill press. the Nova
offers expensive features I personally never longed for, and if they
don't offer a bench top model, I wouldn't buy it with your money.

Those starting out, with limited shop space and w/o an oil well in their
back yard, might mull over. Those with unlimited shop space, and an oil
well in there back yard can run out and buy a Nova. I'd bet there are
plenty of other, even more expensive drill presses that they could buy.
Just think what great furniture, or domino's they could build then...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com