Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default craftsman bench top drill press drill holder model 335.25987

i like to know any feed back how how worthwhile it is to buy this
specific product and also in general how this type of drill press is?
is it accurate in terms of run out and also the perpendicularity? is
it easy to put the drill in and take it out?
thanks
~B

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

bizHB wrote:
i like to know any feed back how how worthwhile it is to buy this
specific product and also in general how this type of drill press is?
is it accurate in terms of run out and also the perpendicularity? is
it easy to put the drill in and take it out?
thanks
~B

I've owned it. Many years ago.

I gave it to my ex-wifes new boyfriend. That may tell you all you need
to know. I hope he used it on something important -and- expensive.

Run out is determined by the drill. The rack tracks fairly
perpendicular, but where the hole ends up is HIGHLY dependent on how
straight you got the drill motor. And how you define 'perpendicular'.
The table is not perpendicular to the column in any except the most
casual of senses. But, if you are careful how you clamp the drill in,
the bit might run parallel to the column. Then again, it might not. In
any case, it will not be perpendicular to the table.

Fine for punching shallow / smaller holes with the motor running at full
speed but not a replacement for a regular drill press with dedicated
motor and multi-speed spindle. Even a Chiwanese drill press will
outperform this tool.

I'd recommend that you give it a pass and save your change for a scaled
back 'real' drill press.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000735-2, 04/23/2007
Tested on: 4/24/2007 1:48:07 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd ebd is offline

Ditto, Ditto, DITTO to what Bill said. You will do much better with
the drill hand held. I saved mine to give to someone I really dislike
but haven't found someone I hate that much - yet.