Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default A new kind of Drill Press

On 12/7/2016 12:11 PM, Jack wrote:
On 12/6/2016 9:20 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:36 PM, Jack wrote:
On 12/5/2016 12:29 PM, Leon wrote:

I have had both bench top and now the floor model, my previous was a
Rockewll radial. I now have a Delta floor model and much prefer this
over the bench top. While the floor model takes up floor space, the
bench top either uses up table top space or floor space if on a stand.

The bench top doesn't take up floor space if it sits on to of a cabinet
where no cabinet existed when the floor model was there. I just have
never found value to the floor model which I've had for 40 years. I at
the end of my woodworking career, so won't be replacing what has worked
for all these years, just pointing out what my view is on the subject.

The Rockwell had 4 belt speeds, I am clueless how many the Delta has
but
12+. While these speeds pretty much handle what I want changing is a
PIA, w belts to change and sometimes the belts have to come off to
trade
height positions, so I simply do not change speeds as often as I would
like. About 8 years ago I used the Powermatic VS DP, IIRC it had a
reeves drive and was shockingly noisy. IIRC they have change this on
the most recent model.

I rarely, very rarely change speeds and I've drilled holes in about
everything imaginable, but 95% wood. I bet I would get in more trouble
if I had the NOVA with infinite speeds available at my fingertips.

Any how, this looks nice, not needed much but I would trade my
King-Seely for this sucker, but I bet it's life is measured in years
rather than decades:-) For me, unless you have a specific need, or
have
an oil well in your back yard, you would be better off spending the
extra cash on a segmented, spiral cutter head for your planer and or
jointer.

I have read a few times recently the segmented spiral head cutters do
not leave as smooth of fresh surface as a non-segmented spiral cutter.
There is always a bubble to be popped. ;~(

Mine leaves super smooth cuts in anything, regardless of knots or grain
direction. I call BS to those saying this, and I don't even have a high
end machine. I suspect whomever said this is out to lunch, and has his
head stuck far up a book somewhere. Just ain't so in real life.

Hey if you are happy, it is good enough.

Not completely happy. I listed the two things my DP doesn't have that
would make me happier, although not $1500 happier. One is bench top
model, and the other is easier table lifting mechanism.

I was talking about the quality of finish left by a segmented spiral
cutter. :~)