Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Speaking of clamps

Electric Comet writes:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 16:24:20 GMT
(Scott Lurndal) wrote:

You obviously haven't ever used a K-body clamp. The older
K-body clamps (pre-Revo) are excellent clamps. The new
Revo clamps seem to have some nice capabilities, but I'm
not sure they're worth twice the price (after the woodpecker
discount) of the original or updated (with the tail hook)
K-bodies.

but it is still a clamp and those marketers got ahold and decided the
needed a fancy name and therefore losing focus on the main intent

they may be good but i still get wary when a clamp is no longer called
a clamp

And if it were called a "cramp", instead, would you still be wary?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill writes:
Leon wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:16:33 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

But you do get what you pay for in this instance.
you think you get what you pay for

my bar clamps do great and i get more than what i pay for

You are preaching to the choir. I used pipes clamps for about 5 years,
then the aluminum clamps for about 15. Noe the k-body style clamps. I'll
stay with the k body clamps for daily use.

I think that is the "cause of dispute".

The cause of dispute is simply trolling. EC has never contributed
anything of value to this usenet newsgroup, aside from poor grammar
and sentence construction.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2015 7:55 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Bill writes:
Leon wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:16:33 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

But you do get what you pay for in this instance.
you think you get what you pay for

my bar clamps do great and i get more than what i pay for

You are preaching to the choir. I used pipes clamps for about 5 years,
then the aluminum clamps for about 15. Noe the k-body style clamps. I'll
stay with the k body clamps for daily use.

I think that is the "cause of dispute".

The cause of dispute is simply trolling. EC has never contributed
anything of value to this usenet newsgroup, aside from poor grammar
and sentence construction.

I think also, he thinks he is happy with what he has yet in another
thread he is considering a different type clamp from HF.
I think that he is a predigest to any comment that is contradictory to
his way of thinking.
I dont't mind helping some one with a my seasoned prospective but to
discount every one's views is rude.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/05/2015 7:07 AM, Leon wrote:

Are you talking about the sliding head moving when used vertically? If so,
the Jet K-body style clamps will stay in place. In case you decide to buy
that style in the future.

Is the REVO version the only Bessey now in production; they discontinued
the original/revised versions entirely?

In the period since last I did some more serious search and came to the
conclusion there really are no Al or other lightweight traditional
cabinet clamps available any longer...makes me wish had taken the rest
of the old geezer's Lynchburg collection! Altho I doubt I ever do
much _volume_ of work going forward; just too much other stuff in the
way on the farmstead...plus age so they'd just be adding to the
"collection of stuff" here as somewhere else, wherever they ended up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote in
:

John McCoy wrote:

The Bessey's have one huge advantage, which is that you
can clamp things that aren't quite square, and two huge
disadvantages, which are the cost and the fact that the
sliding head won't stay where you put it.

Are you talking about the sliding head moving when used vertically?

Yes, except I'm actually talking about the sliding head
moving when I pick the clamp up (which, depending on
where it is, where it's going, and whether I use one
hand or two to pick it up, will have some angle from
horizontal).

If so, the Jet K-body style clamps will stay in place. In case you
decide to buy that style in the future.

Worth knowing. Thanks.

So I have two of them, for those rare occasions when I
need to clamp something that's not square, and all the
rest of my clamps are Jorgensens at 1/4 the price.
Cheaper and work better, can't beat that.

Jorgensen Cabinet Masters are not really less expensive than Bessey
k-bodies. Apparently you are talking about F style or pipe clamps.

Yes, the latter (either, depending on what's being clamped).
For most purposes they work just fine. There's some cases
where a K-body style clamp is the only thing that works,
but they're pretty uncommon situations.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote in
:

It is called stretch wrap. It is a HD version of Seran Wrap. I'm
surprised your delicate electronics were not wrapped in bubble wrap.

The currently popular practice is to stretch-wrap stuff
to a cardboard backer, then put it in a box with bubble
wrap or biodegradable peanuts or some shredded paper stuff
I'd call "excelsior" except no-one knows that word now-a-days.

If you're getting a whole pallet of stuff, the boxes will
be stacked on the pallet and then the whole mess wrapped
with about 20 yards of stretch-wrap.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2015 8:20 AM, dpb wrote:
On 11/05/2015 7:07 AM, Leon wrote:

Are you talking about the sliding head moving when used vertically?
If so,
the Jet K-body style clamps will stay in place. In case you decide to
buy
that style in the future.

Is the REVO version the only Bessey now in production; they discontinued
the original/revised versions entirely?

It's confusing, I am confused. ;!)

The original k-bodies are done. Now there are the new Revo k-bodies
with fixed and movable jaws. And of course the Jr's.

In the period since last I did some more serious search and came to the
conclusion there really are no Al or other lightweight traditional
cabinet clamps available any longer...makes me wish had taken the rest
of the old geezer's Lynchburg collection! Altho I doubt I ever do
much _volume_ of work going forward; just too much other stuff in the
way on the farmstead...plus age so they'd just be adding to the
"collection of stuff" here as somewhere else, wherever they ended up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2015 9:15 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon wrote in
:

It is called stretch wrap. It is a HD version of Seran Wrap. I'm
surprised your delicate electronics were not wrapped in bubble wrap.

The currently popular practice is to stretch-wrap stuff
to a cardboard backer, then put it in a box with bubble
wrap or biodegradable peanuts or some shredded paper stuff
I'd call "excelsior" except no-one knows that word now-a-days.

If you're getting a whole pallet of stuff, the boxes will
be stacked on the pallet and then the whole mess wrapped
with about 20 yards of stretch-wrap.

John

Many years ago we used the pallet stretch wrap daily. Actually you can
buy 6" wide rolls at HD. We always used the 20 or so inch rolls.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/05/2015 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/5/2015 8:20 AM, dpb wrote:
On 11/05/2015 7:07 AM, Leon wrote:

Are you talking about the sliding head moving when used vertically?
If so,
the Jet K-body style clamps will stay in place. In case you decide to
buy
that style in the future.

Is the REVO version the only Bessey now in production; they discontinued
the original/revised versions entirely?

It's confusing, I am confused. ;!)

The original k-bodies are done. Now there are the new Revo k-bodies with
fixed and movable jaws. And of course the Jr's.

OK, thanks. I do have a couple of cabinets that are on the horizon and
had thought a pair or perhaps four would be a reasonable investment;
wondered if since don't do a lot of work any longer it would be possible
to find old ones at less cost at a minor lack of performance--sounds
like "Not!" unless can find some used/estate sale, etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2015 9:15 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon wrote in
:

It is called stretch wrap. It is a HD version of Seran Wrap. I'm
surprised your delicate electronics were not wrapped in bubble wrap.

The currently popular practice is to stretch-wrap stuff
to a cardboard backer, then put it in a box with bubble
wrap or biodegradable peanuts or some shredded paper stuff
I'd call "excelsior" except no-one knows that word now-a-days.

Sure they do, John. It's the state motto of New York

Excelsior = Ever Upward (which will certainly be the case if you drop a
match in the excelsior you're speaking ofg)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2015 12:36 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/5/2015 9:15 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon wrote in
:

If you're getting a whole pallet of stuff, the boxes will
be stacked on the pallet and then the whole mess wrapped
with about 20 yards of stretch-wrap.

John

Many years ago we used the pallet stretch wrap daily. Actually you can
buy 6" wide rolls at HD. We always used the 20 or so inch rolls.

That stuff is worth its weight in gold. Great for many purposes and so
light weight and easy to apply. Snip, snip or a careful slice and it's
gone.

Whenever I head to the lumber yard to stock up for a project I have a
six inch roll with me. Bunch of trim boards? Stack 'em, wrap 'em, haul
'em and when you get them set near point of use just snip 'em and
they're stacked right where you want them. Much better than trying to
wrangle a stack of 10' long pick up sticks through a doorwayg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 1:36:10 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 11/5/2015 9:15 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon wrote in
:

It is called stretch wrap. It is a HD version of Seran Wrap. I'm
surprised your delicate electronics were not wrapped in bubble wrap.

The currently popular practice is to stretch-wrap stuff
to a cardboard backer, then put it in a box with bubble
wrap or biodegradable peanuts or some shredded paper stuff
I'd call "excelsior" except no-one knows that word now-a-days.

If you're getting a whole pallet of stuff, the boxes will
be stacked on the pallet and then the whole mess wrapped
with about 20 yards of stretch-wrap.

John

Many years ago we used the pallet stretch wrap daily. Actually you can
buy 6" wide rolls at HD. We always used the 20 or so inch rolls.

I always have a roll of that stuff handy. I've used it to bundle up loose
items while moving the girls from college apartment to college apartment,
like that pole lamp that can be broken down into small sections or the bed rails, etc.

It's great for keeping the lids on storage containers that are just a bit
too full and for keeping drawers/doors closed while moving furniture.

I used to use it to water proof extension cord connections for Halloween
and Christmas decorations, but I tried a different method last weekend
and it worked great:

Plug the device(s) into the extension cord, then fold the wires so that
the device cord touches the extension cord wire. (basically, make an
inverted U) Now slip a vinyl or latex glove over the plug/socket end
and tightly secure the open end around the cords with a zip tie.

As long as it positioned so that the water doesn't run towards the open
end of the glove, the plug/socket connection will stay completely dry.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2015 1:02 AM, Leon wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:16:33 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

But you do get what you pay for in this instance.

you think you get what you pay for

my bar clamps do great and i get more than what i pay for

You are preaching to the choir. I used pipes clamps for about 5 years,
then the aluminum clamps for about 15. Noe the k-body style clamps. I'll
stay with the k body clamps for daily use.

I'm not sure that pipe clamps equates to bar clamps.
I am thinking EC is referring to the heavy bar clamps with a pin that
fixes the lower jaw, and a crank that tightens the moveable acme
threaded jaw. They are definitely different than a pipe clamp.
But still , IMHO, fall short compared to the K style clamps.

And the k style (not original bessey, unless you grind the punched down
area off) can be a spreader. I have used my cabinet masters many times
as a spreader. So I can confidently say they save me aggravation and
saved the day.

My Cabinet masters were gotten on an amazing sale at Woodcraft online..
they announced it a week ahead, and I sat up waiting for the clock to
tick, as I knew they would go fast. I think I paid on average 14 -16 a
piece... I got 4 of the 24, 4 of the 36 and 4 of the 48...

I have bought a few besseys and a few woodcraft copies (don't buy them)
they suck.. the heads twist... they look absolutely identical, except
for the bar, but they are not. And it is not the bar that is
twisting,its the head... POS

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2015 4:18 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 11/5/2015 1:02 AM, Leon wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

Damn, I just saw where EC referred to a bar clamp as a pipe clamp.
So, we are not referring to the superior beam style bar clamp.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:22:26 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 21:39:48 -0500
krw wrote:

You obviously don't like good tools.

you obviously like over priced tools

No, I like tools that work. Better tools do usually cost more.

No, it shows how shallow you are.

too many meds today for you better check your prescrip
i hear warfarin is often over prescribed maybe that is you

No, I just stated the obvious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:24:57 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:14:43 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

And yet the clamp has been the gold standard for decades.

maybe in your mind but you have shown you buy over priced stuff
what ever floats your boat
some people just are not happy unless they spend more for stuff

bar clamps using black pipe will always be my gold standard

The bar bends and the jaws are far from parallel. The jaws don't bite
into the pipe and slip. No thank you! I threw all my pipe clamps out
years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 23:47:31 -0600, Leon wrote:

krw wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 17:20:27 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 19:36:07 -0500
krw wrote:

DO you believe all clamps are exactly the same? Aren't different
names for different clamps useful? I really don't care what the name

bessey kbody revo tail hook clamp

K-body is really all you need to know.

Actually k-body revo, that is the one on sale at the link I posted. Both
clamping heads/pads move.

Don't believe I've ever seen a non-"revo" version.

no idea what it means and i do not care as i will never buy them

You obviously don't like good tools.

shows loss of focus at the company on what matters

No, it shows how shallow you are.

I have seen it first hand and ego is involved and given precedence
over keeping product and market focus

I bet you have, first hand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:18:15 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

On 11/5/2015 1:02 AM, Leon wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

I've been tempted to buy other clamps on sale but decided it would be
better to keep all the parallel clamps the same (Besseys). This keeps
the work level when resting on the clamps and the accessories work on
all the clamps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for some tips. I have half a box of 12" wide rolls.
I used a roll on each pallet of targets I sent out. Not only was
it binding to the load but bound it to the pallet as well.

Oh the pallets had about 900 pounds of cut steel.

Martin

On 11/5/2015 1:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

DO you believe all clamps are exactly the same? Aren't different
names for different clamps useful? I really don't care what the name

bessey kbody revo tail hook clamp

K-body is really all you need to know.

Actually k-body revo, that is the one on sale at the link I posted. Both
clamping heads/pads move.

Don't believe I've ever seen a non-"revo" version.

You are right, I was confused. I think all current Bessey regular sized
K-body clamps are Revo.

But the ones, on sale, that I pointed out are all of the double moving
head variety vs. with the ones with a fixed end.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2015 3:18 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 11/5/2015 1:02 AM, Leon wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:16:33 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

But you do get what you pay for in this instance.

you think you get what you pay for

my bar clamps do great and i get more than what i pay for

You are preaching to the choir. I used pipes clamps for about 5 years,
then the aluminum clamps for about 15. Noe the k-body style clamps.
I'll
stay with the k body clamps for daily use.

I'm not sure that pipe clamps equates to bar clamps.
I am thinking EC is referring to the heavy bar clamps with a pin that
fixes the lower jaw, and a crank that tightens the moveable acme
threaded jaw. They are definitely different than a pipe clamp.
But still , IMHO, fall short compared to the K style clamps.

That may be true but in another part of the thread IIRC he mentioned the
pipe clamps.

And the k style (not original bessey, unless you grind the punched down
area off) can be a spreader. I have used my cabinet masters many times
as a spreader. So I can confidently say they save me aggravation and
saved the day.

Yes! That is why I went with Cabinet Master over the original Bessey
K-Bodys. That and the moveable foot on the end, and the larger clamping
surface. And now if you combine 2 clamps, to make a longer one, you
have to remove one of the moveable heads so that it will not be in the way.

My Cabinet masters were gotten on an amazing sale at Woodcraft online..
they announced it a week ahead, and I sat up waiting for the clock to
tick, as I knew they would go fast. I think I paid on average 14 -16 a
piece... I got 4 of the 24, 4 of the 36 and 4 of the 48...

I got mine during the period when they had aluminum bodies on the screw
end. BUT shortly after that Jorgensen dropped the aluminum and used
steel. I found a place that was clearing out the aluminum styles and I
got a heck of a deal, similar to yours. Then all the ones with aluminum
heads began to break. With a life time warranty Jorgensen replaced all
12 of my aluminum heads with steel replacements.

I have bought a few besseys and a few woodcraft copies (don't buy them)
they suck.. the heads twist... they look absolutely identical, except
for the bar, but they are not. And it is not the bar that is
twisting,its the head... POS

I have 7 Bessey Revo K-Bodies. I am disappointed that they are not as
durable as the Cabinet Masters. I have dropped both onto concrete
floors and the Besseys always get battle wounds, not the Cabinet
Masters. I am also disappointed that Bessey did not use a moveable
foot. And as I have mentioned earlier my 2 Jet K-style clamps leave
impressions on the project. And being truthful the Jets acme threads
seem to be chrome plated and to not feel as smooth as the Bessey or
Cabinet Masters.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2015 1:02 AM, Leon wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

;~) Yeah, FWIW I call think of my pipe clamps as bar clamps too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/5/2015 1:02 AM, Leon wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

That is a good reason to stick with Bessey but if you don't mix "one"
with another "one" it is generally not an issue with just the clamps.
Use the same brand in pairs. If your clamps are on a work surface and
you are mixing brands Besseys tend to be smaller. It is difficult to
add a larger clamp with a higher bar if you start with Besseys.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 00:10:22 -0600
Leon wrote:

surprised your delicate electronics were not wrapped in bubble wrap.

why surprised

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2015 10:16 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 00:10:22 -0600
Leon wrote:

surprised your delicate electronics were not wrapped in bubble wrap.

why surprised

I would explain but you would argue. It's not worth wasting the time to
explain to you anymore.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 15:15:51 -0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

The currently popular practice is to stretch-wrap stuff
to a cardboard backer, then put it in a box with bubble
wrap or biodegradable peanuts or some shredded paper stuff

these parts came in anti-static bag placed in foam layers and inside a box
that box was wrapped with this stuff against cardboard that was press fit
into a larger shipping box

so no peanuts bubble wrap or excelsior just air with the press fit cardboard
and wrap holding the smaller box in place

If you're getting a whole pallet of stuff, the boxes will
be stacked on the pallet and then the whole mess wrapped
with about 20 yards of stretch-wrap.

there is that kind of stretch and who has not seen that stuff

this is different than anything i have seen

differences are that it does not stick to itself as much as that pallet wrap
i think it is thicker
it stretches far beyond pallet wrap
it also returns to original size which pallet wrap does not do
it is very clear
i think technically speaking it has a refractive index very close to one
it is almost like clear rubber

it is quite unusual to me and i have not seen it before

try to find some it is kind of amazing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:18:15 -0500
woodchucker wrote:

I'm not sure that pipe clamps equates to bar clamps.

i had confused my terminology
i have pipe clamps that i like for the consistency and low cost

I am thinking EC is referring to the heavy bar clamps with a pin that
fixes the lower jaw, and a crank that tightens the moveable acme
threaded jaw. They are definitely different than a pipe clamp.
But still , IMHO, fall short compared to the K style clamps.

do not think i have seen this type

And the k style (not original bessey, unless you grind the punched
down area off) can be a spreader. I have used my cabinet masters many
times as a spreader. So I can confidently say they save me
aggravation and saved the day.

i do like the idea of spreaders for the dual-purpose

My Cabinet masters were gotten on an amazing sale at Woodcraft
online.. they announced it a week ahead, and I sat up waiting for the
clock to tick, as I knew they would go fast. I think I paid on
average 14 -16 a piece... I got 4 of the 24, 4 of the 36 and 4 of the
48...

not bad at all
i keep a sharp eye at flea markets + swap meets + garbage sales
i mean garage sales

i need to watch craigslist more for clamps

I have bought a few besseys and a few woodcraft copies (don't buy
them) they suck.. the heads twist... they look absolutely identical,
except for the bar, but they are not. And it is not the bar that is
twisting,its the head... POS

woodcraft probably just put their name on some junk
it is the sirens of cheapness singing and drawing them into the rocks
and or unwary customers which leads to mutually assured disappointment

short term gain long term loss

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 00:15:34 -0600
Leon wrote:

OK with that comment the Stupid tattoo on your forehead is visible to

i like that one

you often miss the points here but it is ok
everyone is different

the point is that the price for these clamps you are pushing is too high

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 11:34:47 -0800 (PST)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Plug the device(s) into the extension cord, then fold the wires so
that the device cord touches the extension cord wire. (basically,
make an inverted U) Now slip a vinyl or latex glove over the
plug/socket end and tightly secure the open end around the cords with
a zip tie.

i guess for halloween it would be ok but how do you explain creepy hands
laying about at xmas time

i like the idea of using the wrap i usually use a small vitreous pot or saucer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 20:33:08 -0500
krw wrote:

The bar bends and the jaws are far from parallel. The jaws don't bite
into the pipe and slip. No thank you! I threw all my pipe clamps out
years ago.

the pipes too or just the clamps

also take note of the use of bar and pipe which are different
made this mistake myself

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2015 10:53 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 00:15:34 -0600
Leon wrote:

OK with that comment the Stupid tattoo on your forehead is visible to

i like that one

you often miss the points here but it is ok
everyone is different

the point is that the price for these clamps you are pushing is too high

I think if you made your comments more explanatory you might be taken
more seriously. When you leave out your reasoning, like "I" can't
justify paying that much for a clamp, or I can't afford that clamp, you
would seem more reasonable and no one could argue with that. But when
you leave out the details of you reasoning we can only take your
comments at face value.
Like you said, everyone is different and so are their points.

And I am not pushing anything, simply giving an actual personal users
experience not a perceived what if scenario.
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

The bar bends and the jaws are far from parallel. The jaws don't bite
into the pipe and slip. No thank you! I threw all my pipe clamps out
years ago.

the pipes too or just the clamps

Of course the pipes too. What good is one piece without the other?

also take note of the use of bar and pipe which are different
made this mistake myself

You said pipe clamp. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that you knew
what you were talking about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Plug the device(s) into the extension cord, then fold the wires so
that the device cord touches the extension cord wire. (basically,
make an inverted U) Now slip a vinyl or latex glove over the
plug/socket end and tightly secure the open end around the cords with
a zip tie.

i guess for halloween it would be ok but how do you explain creepy hands
laying about at xmas time

What is there to explain?

https://i0.wp.com/i170.photobucket.c...ilSanta400.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 12:52:57 -0500
krw wrote:

The bar bends and the jaws are far from parallel. The jaws don't
bite into the pipe and slip. No thank you! I threw all my pipe
clamps out years ago.

Of course the pipes too. What good is one piece without the other?

that trash could be treasure for some

throwing away perfectly good tools is not something i have seen often
but would like to see often from others so i can grab them

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Electric Comet writes:
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 00:15:34 -0600
Leon wrote:

OK with that comment the Stupid tattoo on your forehead is visible to

the point is that the price for these clamps you are pushing is too high

Leon, in my experience, does not push much of anything. He shares
his honestly held views and others take them or leave them. Having
seen pictures of some of his work, I tend to at least consider what
he has to say (same with a few others here). That's part of why
my recent bandsaw choice went with spending a couple hundred more
and got the Laguna. It wasn't based *just* on his opinion, but
that led me to sink some more time into researching the Laguna.

I don't need any more clamps just now, and don't have any k-bodies
(just a bunch of f-style), but the details in threads like this
will be useful if/when I'm shopping again.

At my skill level, pipe clamps would probably be just fine. But I
have a few around 4', and those things are heavy.

--
Drew Lawson | What is an "Oprah"?
| -- Teal'c

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

The bar bends and the jaws are far from parallel. The jaws don't bite
into the pipe and slip. No thank you! I threw all my pipe clamps out
years ago.

the pipes too or just the clamps

Of course the pipes too. What good is one piece without the other?

If you have a pipe cutter and a hand threader, the pipe can still
be useful. Black or galvy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

The bar bends and the jaws are far from parallel. The jaws don't
bite into the pipe and slip. No thank you! I threw all my pipe
clamps out years ago.

Of course the pipes too. What good is one piece without the other?

that trash could be treasure for some

I highly doubt it. I dragged them around with me much too long as it
was.

throwing away perfectly good tools is not something i have seen often
but would like to see often from others so i can grab them

"Pipe clamp" and "perfectly good tool" doesn't belong in the same
sentence.