Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Speaking of clamps

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:18:15 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

On 11/5/2015 1:02 AM, Leon wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:16:33 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

But you do get what you pay for in this instance.

you think you get what you pay for

my bar clamps do great and i get more than what i pay for

You are preaching to the choir. I used pipes clamps for about 5 years,
then the aluminum clamps for about 15. Noe the k-body style clamps. I'll
stay with the k body clamps for daily use.

I'm not sure that pipe clamps equates to bar clamps.
I am thinking EC is referring to the heavy bar clamps with a pin that
fixes the lower jaw, and a crank that tightens the moveable acme
threaded jaw. They are definitely different than a pipe clamp.
But still , IMHO, fall short compared to the K style clamps.

And the k style (not original bessey, unless you grind the punched down
area off) can be a spreader. I have used my cabinet masters many times
as a spreader. So I can confidently say they save me aggravation and
saved the day.

My Cabinet masters were gotten on an amazing sale at Woodcraft online..
they announced it a week ahead, and I sat up waiting for the clock to
tick, as I knew they would go fast. I think I paid on average 14 -16 a
piece... I got 4 of the 24, 4 of the 36 and 4 of the 48...

I have bought a few besseys and a few woodcraft copies (don't buy them)
they suck.. the heads twist... they look absolutely identical, except
for the bar, but they are not. And it is not the bar that is
twisting,its the head... POS

I've been tempted to buy other clamps on sale but decided it would be
better to keep all the parallel clamps the same (Besseys). This keeps
the work level when resting on the clamps and the accessories work on
all the clamps.