Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Speaking of clamps

Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody....o67wu2acyhmxfm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 9:28 AM, Leon wrote:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody....o67wu2acyhmxfm

Looks like HD has them for about the same.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:28:42 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

name sounds too fancy for a clamp
makes me very suspicious

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:28:42 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

name sounds too fancy for a clamp
makes me very suspicious

You obviously haven't ever used a K-body clamp. The older
K-body clamps (pre-Revo) are excellent clamps. The new
Revo clamps seem to have some nice capabilities, but I'm
not sure they're worth twice the price (after the woodpecker
discount) of the original or updated (with the tail hook)
K-bodies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody....o67wu2acyhmxfm

FYI, anything in the URL after the first question mark
character is generally not part of the URL, but rather tracking information
about the user who browsed to that URL (called query parameters).

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody.html

is sufficient and doesn't expose your browsing information to the
rest of the world.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 9:19 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 11/4/2015 9:28 AM, Leon wrote:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody....o67wu2acyhmxfm

Looks like HD has them for about the same.

Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like HD is simply lowering the
price and not putting them on sale. AND while HD is a touch more
expensive than the sale price on the small clamps they are also a touch
cheaper on the big clamps. ;~)

MAYBE people have simply quit paying way too much for these style clamps
and Bessey is having to lower them. I recall buying a 4 pack plus
extender bars for about $130 a few years ago, that lately was around
$200. Hopefully Jorgensen will follow suite with the Cabinet Masters.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 10:26 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody....o67wu2acyhmxfm

FYI, anything in the URL after the first question mark
character is generally not part of the URL, but rather tracking information
about the user who browsed to that URL (called query parameters).

Ok, but it still take "me" to the correct place. Does that not work for
you?

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody.html

is sufficient and doesn't expose your browsing information to the
rest of the world.

Ohhhhhhh. Gotcha. So does that only expose my browsing info for that
site or some how every where I have been regardless of web site?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 10:24 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Electric Comet writes:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:28:42 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

name sounds too fancy for a clamp
makes me very suspicious

You obviously haven't ever used a K-body clamp. The older
K-body clamps (pre-Revo) are excellent clamps. The new
Revo clamps seem to have some nice capabilities, but I'm
not sure they're worth twice the price (after the woodpecker
discount) of the original or updated (with the tail hook)
K-bodies.

Agreed. The new style K Body clamps do have a larger clamping surface
so that appeals to me BUT the "tail hook" could be much much better.
The closest competitors Jet and Jorgensen have movable feet which makes
using a long clamp on a short work surface easier. If your work surface
is shorter then the Bessey clamp it does no good at all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Usually it's an encoded version of the search query you used
to get to that page. Generally appended by a site-specific
search function (public search engines will use the referrer header
which is standard vs. query parameters which are site specific).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 10:26 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody....o67wu2acyhmxfm

FYI, anything in the URL after the first question mark
character is generally not part of the URL, but rather tracking information
about the user who browsed to that URL (called query parameters).

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody.html

Interesting tip, Scott, thanks. Like "i" before "e" except after "c" it
doesn't fly with a YouTube URL but still a great tip.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/04/2015 8:28 AM, Leon wrote:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

The Bessey's are nice, agreed, but I could never bring meself to spend
that amount of money they wanted for 'em.

Of course, all the bar clamps are now outrageously priced, too, it
seems; glad I acquired the collection I did when and how I did and don't
do enough work to require more any longer...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in :

On 11/04/2015 8:28 AM, Leon wrote:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

The Bessey's are nice, agreed, but I could never bring meself to spend
that amount of money they wanted for 'em.

The Bessey's have one huge advantage, which is that you
can clamp things that aren't quite square, and two huge
disadvantages, which are the cost and the fact that the
sliding head won't stay where you put it.

I like to do a dry run on whatever I'm clamping, and I
want the clamps to stay set whereever I've put them so
all I need is a couple of turns of the handle when the
real, "live glue" clamping is done. Can't do that with
the Bessey's.

So I have two of them, for those rare occasions when I
need to clamp something that's not square, and all the
rest of my clamps are Jorgensens at 1/4 the price.
Cheaper and work better, can't beat that.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 10:05 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:28:42 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

name sounds too fancy for a clamp
makes me very suspicious

No need to be suspicious, they have been around and proven themselves
long before you showed up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:49:01 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 16:24:20 GMT
(Scott Lurndal) wrote:

You obviously haven't ever used a K-body clamp. The older
K-body clamps (pre-Revo) are excellent clamps. The new
Revo clamps seem to have some nice capabilities, but I'm
not sure they're worth twice the price (after the woodpecker
discount) of the original or updated (with the tail hook)
K-bodies.

but it is still a clamp and those marketers got ahold and decided the
needed a fancy name and therefore losing focus on the main intent

they may be good but i still get wary when a clamp is no longer called
a clamp

DO you believe all clamps are exactly the same? Aren't different
names for different clamps useful? I really don't care what the name
is, as long as it's useful to describe the widget.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 9:28 AM, Leon wrote:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody....o67wu2acyhmxfm

Doesn't look like a sale to me. Those are close to normal prices.
Around here they can be had for about $34 -38 a piece.
So it's a minor sale.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 18:20:27 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

No need to be suspicious, they have been around and proven themselves
long before you showed up.

maybe so but i find the name funny and it is afterall just a clamp

i have looked at them in person they are nice but i had no intention of
buying them

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 19:36:07 -0500
krw wrote:

DO you believe all clamps are exactly the same? Aren't different
names for different clamps useful? I really don't care what the name

bessey kbody revo tail hook clamp

no idea what it means and i do not care as i will never buy them

shows loss of focus at the company on what matters

i have seen it first hand and ego is involved and given precedence
over keeping product and market focus

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

DO you believe all clamps are exactly the same? Aren't different
names for different clamps useful? I really don't care what the name

bessey kbody revo tail hook clamp

no idea what it means and i do not care as i will never buy them

shows loss of focus at the company on what matters

i have seen it first hand and ego is involved and given precedence
over keeping product and market focus

Marketers know if they have 4/5 of the brands/styles of an item out
there, they will get a higher percentage of sales, compared to
competitors. That may also help explain seeing different "makes" of
essentially the same cars, as well as the great number of types of
cereal in your grocery store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

DO you believe all clamps are exactly the same? Aren't different
names for different clamps useful? I really don't care what the name

bessey kbody revo tail hook clamp

You left out plastic, steel and aluminum. Jeez are you really this slow
to catch on?

no idea what it means and i do not care as i will never buy them

Good more for us. ;~)

shows loss of focus at the company on what matters

And yet the clamp has been the gold standard for decades.

i have seen it first hand and ego is involved and given precedence
over keeping product and market focus

Again, ignorance and or lack of experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 7:12 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 18:20:27 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

No need to be suspicious, they have been around and proven themselves
long before you showed up.

maybe so but i find the name funny and it is afterall just a clamp

Funny like Electric Comet?

i have looked at them in person they are nice but i had no intention of
buying them

That is not a problem, most people don't buy Rolex watches either. But
you do get what you pay for in this instance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 6:36 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 11/4/2015 9:28 AM, Leon wrote:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody....o67wu2acyhmxfm

Doesn't look like a sale to me. Those are close to normal prices.
Around here they can be had for about $34 -38 a piece.
So it's a minor sale.

Up until very recently K bodies have started at $55.00 and go up.
Including Amazon, Woodcraft, Rockler. They used to be those prices, $30
range a couple of years ago but not lately.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...vo%2Caps%2C171

Scroll to bottom of page

http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=revo
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 8:12 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 18:20:27 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

No need to be suspicious, they have been around and proven themselves
long before you showed up.

maybe so but i find the name funny and it is afterall just a clamp

i have looked at them in person they are nice but i had no intention of
buying them

If you have not used a K body type or others of similar type, you might
be amazed at how easy they can make getting a nice square or flat glue up.

That said, there are many ways to achieve the same, but these do make it
easier. But the price is weight. And if you are doing a light glue up,
they may be a little too much. Again, there are many ways.. Even rubber,
or wrapping.

nuff said.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 9:28 AM, Leon wrote:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody....o67wu2acyhmxfm

Doesn't look like a sale to me. Those are close to normal prices.
Around here they can be had for about $34 -38 a piece.
So it's a minor sale.

Up until very recently K bodies have started at $55.00 and go up.
Including Amazon, Woodcraft, Rockler. They used to be those prices, $30
range a couple of years ago but not lately.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...vo%2Caps%2C171

Scroll to bottom of page

http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=revo

I looked a few weeks ago, and they were. But maybe just good timing.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

DO you believe all clamps are exactly the same? Aren't different
names for different clamps useful? I really don't care what the name

bessey kbody revo tail hook clamp

K-body is really all you need to know.

no idea what it means and i do not care as i will never buy them

You obviously don't like good tools.

shows loss of focus at the company on what matters

No, it shows how shallow you are.

I have seen it first hand and ego is involved and given precedence
over keeping product and market focus

I bet you have, first hand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote:

i have looked at them in person they are nice but i had no intention
of
buying them

Nor much of anything else.

It would appear you choose to play the roll of basic s**t disturber
rather
than knowledgeable contributor.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 9:20 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Electric Comet" wrote:

i have looked at them in person they are nice but i had no intention
of
buying them

Nor much of anything else.

It would appear you choose to play the roll of basic s**t disturber
rather
than knowledgeable contributor.

Lew

Certainly not a knowledgeable contributor but certainly a disruptive
student.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2015 9:28 AM, Leon wrote:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.

http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody....o67wu2acyhmxfm

Doesn't look like a sale to me. Those are close to normal prices.
Around here they can be had for about $34 -38 a piece.
So it's a minor sale.

Up until very recently K bodies have started at $55.00 and go up.
Including Amazon, Woodcraft, Rockler. They used to be those prices, $30
range a couple of years ago but not lately.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...vo%2Caps%2C171

Scroll to bottom of page

http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=revo

I looked a few weeks ago, and they were. But maybe just good timing.

It seems that there was perpetration for a big sale, I noted woodcraft
places are putting them on sale. A method used by some retailers is to
buy at a special price, which is intended to be passed on the customer,
but they just sell for regular price and a greater profit but at a
reduced volume while those passing the saving on to the customer get the
sales.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:31:00 -0500
woodchucker wrote:

If you have not used a K body type or others of similar type, you
might be amazed at how easy they can make getting a nice square or
flat glue up.

have not used them
my bar clamps do great
tried and true

That said, there are many ways to achieve the same, but these do make
it easier. But the price is weight. And if you are doing a light
glue up, they may be a little too much. Again, there are many ways..
Even rubber, or wrapping.

i a trying some new stretchy plastic wrap that i got recently
it is amazing stuff

it was used in a shipment of some delicate electronics parts
it is super stretchy and clear and i tried and could not break it
i had never seen this before

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:16:33 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

But you do get what you pay for in this instance.

you think you get what you pay for

my bar clamps do great and i get more than what i pay for

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 21:39:48 -0500
krw wrote:

You obviously don't like good tools.

you obviously like over priced tools

No, it shows how shallow you are.

too many meds today for you better check your prescrip
i hear warfarin is often over prescribed maybe that is you

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:14:43 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

And yet the clamp has been the gold standard for decades.

maybe in your mind but you have shown you buy over priced stuff
what ever floats your boat
some people just are not happy unless they spend more for stuff

bar clamps using black pipe will always be my gold standard

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

DO you believe all clamps are exactly the same? Aren't different
names for different clamps useful? I really don't care what the name

bessey kbody revo tail hook clamp

K-body is really all you need to know.

Actually k-body revo, that is the one on sale at the link I posted. Both
clamping heads/pads move.

no idea what it means and i do not care as i will never buy them

You obviously don't like good tools.

shows loss of focus at the company on what matters

No, it shows how shallow you are.

I have seen it first hand and ego is involved and given precedence
over keeping product and market focus

I bet you have, first hand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:16:33 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

But you do get what you pay for in this instance.

you think you get what you pay for

my bar clamps do great and i get more than what i pay for

You are preaching to the choir. I used pipes clamps for about 5 years,
then the aluminum clamps for about 15. Noe the k-body style clamps. I'll
stay with the k body clamps for daily use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:31:00 -0500
woodchucker wrote:

If you have not used a K body type or others of similar type, you
might be amazed at how easy they can make getting a nice square or
flat glue up.

have not used them
my bar clamps do great
tried and true

That said, there are many ways to achieve the same, but these do make
it easier. But the price is weight. And if you are doing a light
glue up, they may be a little too much. Again, there are many ways..
Even rubber, or wrapping.

i a trying some new stretchy plastic wrap that i got recently
it is amazing stuff

it was used in a shipment of some delicate electronics parts
it is super stretchy and clear and i tried and could not break it
i had never seen this before

It is called stretch wrap. It is a HD version of Seran Wrap. I'm
surprised your delicate electronics were not wrapped in bubble wrap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:16:33 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

But you do get what you pay for in this instance.

you think you get what you pay for

my bar clamps do great and i get more than what i pay for

You are preaching to the choir. I used pipes clamps for about 5 years,
then the aluminum clamps for about 15. Noe the k-body style clamps. I'll
stay with the k body clamps for daily use.

I think that is the "cause of dispute". If person A uses them (the
"nice clamps") daily, she gets the benefit of the extra features daily.
If person B uses them 3 times a year, then she enjoys the benefit 3
times a year. Person A pays much less, per use, than Person B, and so
may enjoy her ownership of the nicer clamps more so than Person B, even
though both are using the same clamps (in this example).

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
dpb wrote in :

On 11/04/2015 8:28 AM, Leon wrote:
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.

I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.

The Bessey's are nice, agreed, but I could never bring meself to spend
that amount of money they wanted for 'em.

The Bessey's have one huge advantage, which is that you
can clamp things that aren't quite square, and two huge
disadvantages, which are the cost and the fact that the
sliding head won't stay where you put it.

Are you talking about the sliding head moving when used vertically? If so,
the Jet K-body style clamps will stay in place. In case you decide to buy
that style in the future.

I like to do a dry run on whatever I'm clamping, and I
want the clamps to stay set whereever I've put them so
all I need is a couple of turns of the handle when the
real, "live glue" clamping is done. Can't do that with
the Bessey's.

So I have two of them, for those rare occasions when I
need to clamp something that's not square, and all the
rest of my clamps are Jorgensens at 1/4 the price.
Cheaper and work better, can't beat that.

Jorgensen Cabinet Masters are not really less expensive than Bessey
k-bodies. Apparently you are talking about F style or pipe clamps.

John