Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Centech inspection camera

On 3/7/15 12:09 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 12:01:09 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

It's already on sale, so you can't take the additional 20% off with
the coupon.

That is simply not true.

Every Harbor Freight 20% off coupon I've ever seen has stated
"Cannot be used with any other discount or coupon..."
so yes, it simply is true, in the truest sense of the word.

Now, perhaps this is a region thing. Perhaps the Harbor Freight 20% off
coupons you get don't have that written in the fine print. Is that the
case?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It's already on sale, so you can't take the additional 20% off with
the coupon.

That is simply not true.

Every Harbor Freight 20% off coupon I've ever seen has stated
"Cannot be used with any other discount or coupon..."
so yes, it simply is true, in the truest sense of the word.

In HF's world "Discount" does NOT equal items on "Sale".
Note how the coupon doesn't say "excludes Sale items".
You or anyone reading this can use a 20% coupon at your local HF to
buy ANYTHING at this link (for example):

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t....html?limit=60

The only caveat being during 'Parking Lot Sale' weekends. Other than
that, if you ever have a cashier refuse to honor a 20% coupon on an
item that is on 'sale', she/he is being a ****, ask to speak to the
manager.

HTH

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It's already on sale, so you can't take the additional 20% off with
the coupon.

That is simply not true.

Every Harbor Freight 20% off coupon I've ever seen has stated
"Cannot be used with any other discount or coupon..."
so yes, it simply is true, in the truest sense of the word.

In HF's world "Discount" does NOT equal items on "Sale".
Note how the coupon doesn't say "excludes Sale items".
You or anyone reading this can use a 20% coupon at your local HF to
buy ANYTHING at this link (for example):

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t....html?limit=60

The only caveat being during 'Parking Lot Sale' weekends. Other than
that, if you ever have a cashier refuse to honor a 20% coupon on an
item that is on 'sale', she/he is being a ****, ask to speak to the
manager.

HTH

Something on sale for a price lower than the original price is the very
definition of a discount.
If you do not understand that simple fact there is nothing more I can do
to explain it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 14:15:58 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

Something on sale for a price lower than the original price is the very
definition of a discount.
If you do not understand that simple fact there is nothing more I can do
to explain it.

I'll try typing slower this time:
In HF's world "Discount" does NOT equal items on "Sale".

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Except, as Spalted Walt noted, in HF's world. Allow me to "explain it" with a real life example from a recent receipt showing the 20% coupon applied to a discounted item.

5645 MAGNETIC BASE 14.99
Advertised Savings: -2.00
Adjusted Price: 12.99
20.0% Off -2.60
New Price: 10.39
Customer Coupon 31677758

I couldn't possibly recount all of the "sale item" purchases I have made and still had the 20% coupon applied. No, they won't allow the 20% off on an item that you used another *coupon* for, but for those marked with an "As Advertised" sale price, the 20% coupon has always been honored.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Crow is a dish best served cold. =^_^=

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

If you go back to my first reply, which you conveniently edited out when
you quoted me, I wrote, "Even though this is their official policy, I've
run across the occasional manager who will approve it."

In my HF they've always had to call a manager over to allow the 20% off
coupon on "sale" items. Your experience is obviously different. All I
can do is quote their policy.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote:

The only caveat being during 'Parking Lot Sale' weekends. Other than
that, if you ever have a cashier refuse to honor a 20% coupon on an
item that is on 'sale', she/he is being a ****, ask to speak to the
manager.

A minor adjustment - though it does not directly contradict what you say
above... There are specific items that are excluded from discounts like the
20% coupon. Don't know if this item is one of them or not.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't think so, bud.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

My bad. I assumed there was an apology buried in there amongst all the
backpedaling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Interesting 2013 thread found at the following link, but be sure to read both pages. There's a response from HF to an email from a customer asking about their "official policy" followed by "web site tested" proof that the "official" answer given in the email appears to be incorrect.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=58239

In my experience with 2 local HF stores, a 3rd store about 150 miles away and purchases on their website, I have never had a problem applying the 20% coupon to sale items unless they were specifically excluded. With the humans, I guess you could call allowing the 20% of "a consistent mistake" or perhaps many unseen overrides at the register. However, when the discount is applied to sale items on the website, I have to assume it's policy. I just checked a few items on the website. In the cart, some sale items specifically say that they are excluded from "certain" coupon offers, other sale items do not. Those that don't include the exclusion wording accepted a 25% off coupon code.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

What backpedaling. I quoted HF policy as clearly printed on their
coupons.
And I said in my first post (again, which you conveniently snipped out
in your reply) that managers can override it.

Seems to me like you're trying to win an argument that your created.
You must be bored. Why don't you go build something.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

It seems like that forum thread echos what is happening in here.
The official store policy seems to be in question even by local store
managers.

Like I said, all I did was state their policy and that thread backs up
the policy I stated.
It goes on to support what I also wrote, that some managers will allow
the coupon for "on-sale" items and others won't.

You two guys are running into managers who will.
I'm running into about 50/50, those who do and those who don't.

The OP seems to have run into one who won't allow it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Did you miss this part:

"A store recently opened in Southaven MS, (Memphis area, 2nd store in the area). The first and older store usually applied the 20% coupon without hesitating. The new store's personnel, without hesitating would say that the 20% would NOT apply and didn't even try. I argued on two different occasion and they got tired of arguing and decided to input the 20% just to show me! Well, both times the register allowed it. The third time months later, I noticed a change in general policy: the cashier said, I don't think it will accept the 20% but I will try it. She input the 20% and it took it. At least I did not have to argue."

It doesn't sound like any managers were involved. It was nothing more than cashiers scanning coupons and letting the computer decide. Read on...because that has been my experience also.

Like I said, all I did was state their policy and that thread backs up
the policy I stated.
It goes on to support what I also wrote, that some managers will allow
the coupon for "on-sale" items and others won't.

You two guys are running into managers who will.
I'm running into about 50/50, those who do and those who don't.

I don't recall ever saying I was dealing with managers.

The kid behind the counter with the spike in his nose isn't a manager at my local store. He's just a nice kid who scans coupons and lets the computer tell him what is allowed and what isn't. I've never had to have a manager approve anything related to a 20% off coupon on a non-excluded sale item.

I'm pretty sure the website doesn't have a manager approving coupon codes either.

Try this...

Expand the text for the first coupon here, which includes the "official policy" about "Cannot be used with other discount,..."

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/harb....com?c=6723610

Copy the Coupon Code or just use this: 21741290

Add this currently on-sale item to your cart and paste that code into the Coupon Code field:

http://www.harborfreight.com/multipo...ment-5645.html

The discount will be applied to the on-sale item. Unless there is a manager lurking inside my computer, I have a feeling that "sale" does not fit the very definition of "discount" in the HF world.

The spiked nose kid at the store "let" me use the coupon, the website will let me use a coupon code. No manager, no overrides, just a bunch of computers processing orders under the store's official policy.

The OP seems to have run into one who won't allow it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 20:00:24 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

What backpedaling. I quoted HF policy as clearly printed on their
coupons.
And I said in my first post (again, which you conveniently snipped out
in your reply) that managers can override it.

Seems to me like you're trying to win an argument that your created.
You must be bored. Why don't you go build something.

OK, I'll play along.

What 'Sale' item(s) did you have a problem using a 20% coupon with?
Which HF store(s) did said problem arise? Nashville? Antioch? Clarksville?

There is no "argument" for me to win, Skippy. I simply enjoy watching
you dance ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/15 9:33 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 20:00:24 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

What backpedaling. I quoted HF policy as clearly printed on their
coupons.
And I said in my first post (again, which you conveniently snipped out
in your reply) that managers can override it.

Seems to me like you're trying to win an argument that your created.
You must be bored. Why don't you go build something.

OK, I'll play along.

What 'Sale' item(s) did you have a problem using a 20% coupon with?
Which HF store(s) did said problem arise? Nashville? Antioch? Clarksville?

There is no "argument" for me to win, Skippy. I simply enjoy watching
you dance ;-)

If that's what it takes to give you an enjoyable evening, I'm happy to
oblige.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

We're running in circles, as is common in here.
Enjoy your coupons and I'm glad you have no trouble using them.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

There's no circle...there's 2 straight lines:

Your line keeps ending up with managers sometimes approving discounts, sometimes not.

My line gets the discounts without any managers.

I like my line better. It's easier and cheaper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 21:41:57 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

On 3/7/15 9:33 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 20:00:24 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

What backpedaling. I quoted HF policy as clearly printed on their
coupons.
And I said in my first post (again, which you conveniently snipped out
in your reply) that managers can override it.

Seems to me like you're trying to win an argument that your created.
You must be bored. Why don't you go build something.

OK, I'll play along.

What 'Sale' item(s) did you have a problem using a 20% coupon with?
Which HF store(s) did said problem arise? Nashville? Antioch? Clarksville?

There is no "argument" for me to win, Skippy. I simply enjoy watching
you dance ;-)

If that's what it takes to give you an enjoyable evening, I'm happy to
oblige.

Bon Appétit: http://oi33.tinypic.com/2hr1g5c.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Awesome. I wish I were you.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/15 10:34 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
[...]

Add looking up cute little memes to your cyber stalking.
You have a great life.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Any of you folks have one of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...l_s1021_c1015b

The bride jammed a drawer in the china cabinet and no amount of futzing
and wiggling will get it open enough to free the jam. I need to drill in
from the back and think a scope will be helpful in troubleshooting.
Hopefully I can free this with two small holes -- one for the scope and
one for the coat hanger.

Comments on this HF unit will be appreciated.

Larry

Lee Valley offers this $99 unit with adjustable LEDs, viewable with a
downloadable app for your smarty phone:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...13&cat=1,43456

Dave in SoTex

Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you girls have the desire to reach the top 20 posters or the topic
with the most posts for the month of March?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2015 10:49 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 3/7/2015 10:24 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/6/2015 12:10 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Any of you folks have one of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...l_s1021_c1015b

The bride jammed a drawer in the china cabinet and no amount of
futzing and wiggling will get it open enough to free the jam. I need
to drill in from the back and think a scope will be helpful in
troubleshooting. Hopefully I can free this with two small holes --
one for the scope and one for the coat hanger.

Comments on this HF unit will be appreciated.

Larry

While this info won't help you, since it seems your need is urgent.
I did some research on this a few weeks ago.

I would avoid the handheld units.
I found that you can get very good long units that plug into your
computer for way less money than the typical handhelds.

__AND.. with a lot more resolution.__

can you name a few or provide a few sites?

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...ion %20camera

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=...ds=&rmvSB=true

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:16:11 -0400, Meanie wrote:

Do you girls have the desire to reach the top 20 posters or the topic
with the most posts for the month of March?

Point well taken. When a spirited discussion devolves into ad hominem
attacks it just ain't worth it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2015 9:34 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
[...]

I'm not so sure your gloating is all that appropriate.
My experience seems to reflect _Mike-'s
It all depends on location, location, location.

Having said that, I've noticed that certain personality types need
repeated assurance that they're "always right". ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 2:09:06 PM UTC-4, Max wrote:
[...]

I'm curious (not trying to be right, just curious): What happens when you present the 20% coupon at the locations where it is not accepted? Does the cashier refuse to scan it or does (s)he scan it and then tell you that it will not be honored based on the computer's response?

I only ask because the thread I linked to seems to indicate that in the cases where the cashier has told the customer that they couldn't use the coupon, it turns out that once the customer requested that it be scanned, they were able to use it.

Another possibility: Is it possible that the items you've tried to purchase were specifically excluded? Again, just curious. As noted in that thread - and in my experience - there are sale items that allow the extra discount and then there are sales item that don't. This can be tested at hf.com.

Could it be less about location and more about specific sale items?

I guess a perfect test would be for one of you to go to a location where the coupon has been denied and attempt to purchase the same item that others have had no problem with. For example, the Magnetic Base, item 5645. That item is currently on sale for $2 off. I was able to use the 20% off coupon at a physical location and apply a 25% off coupon code on the website. No manager intervention required. If you guys aren't able to use the 20% off coupon at the stores where you have been denied in the past, we would have the definitive answer. Perhaps we just haven't been comparing the proverbial apples.

Any volunteers?

Having said that, I've noticed that certain personality types need
repeated assurance that they're "always right". ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2015 2:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

To be honest I don't do that much business at HF and my anecdotal
experiences wouldn't be of much use in a "contest".
I have purchased hydraulic jacks (which leaked after a few years use).
jack stands (that still "stand") welding magnets, etc. IOW, nothing
where precision counts. My purchases at HF are such that if the checker
says "no" to a coupon it's not an arguable situation. My response is
usually, "OK, charge it, bag it" (and let me out of here because I'm
usually in a hurry) The only power tool I can remember buying is one of
those Oscillating Multifunction Power Tools. I gave it to my neighbor,
ordered one made by Bosch and never looked back. (I have numerous Bosch
tools)
We have two HF locations here, both run by the same guy.
They do a thriving business with folks from Juarez.
I might add that I get the e-mail notices about sales and the coupons.

We also have a Northern Tool store and the whole shopping experience is
totally different; friendly folks, accommodating management, cleaner
appearing store, etc. I recently bought a Milwaukee 4 1/2" disc grinder
for $79. and am well pleased with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2015 1:43 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 3/8/2015 12:31 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/7/2015 10:49 AM, Meanie wrote:

[snip]

can you name a few or provide a few sites?

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...ion %20camera

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=...ds=&rmvSB=true

Awesome.

Thank you

The first one that comes up on that ebay link is, I think, the one I
bought. More fun than humans should have with their clothes on for
under $20. Decent image and lighting and, if by some chance you mess it
up, you're out the cost of a couple of beers at the corner bar.

Seriously, biggest drawback is having the connect it to a laptop or netbook.

Inspection camera alec green UK diy 26 May 21st 13 07:50 AM
Inspection Camera asalcedo UK diy 9 October 13th 12 08:36 PM
Flexible USB inspection camera - anyone tried one Murmansk69 UK diy 4 May 4th 10 07:26 AM
inspection camera - for homeowner use Heathcliff Home Repair 14 July 9th 09 04:17 AM
inspection camera ray pierce Home Repair 7 July 7th 09 04:55 AM